England team for Wednesday - Owen dropped

Dave

Owen can no longer be guaranteed a place in the team by just being fit.

He has to be fit and firing for his club like everyone else.

Well done Capello.

Quite significant that the number 10 jersey is no longer Owen's anymore too.

Anyone else unconvinced that the TV companies don't just turn the audio feed down on moments silence?

They did, just been on SSN about how some idiots were whistling and shouting stuff.

I was there :D

Anyway, there were about 5 people whistling, then an ironic "shut your fucking mouth" from a fan up near the back of the west stand. Nothing major, but I still can't understand why people do it.

Anyone else unconvinced that the TV companies don't just turn the audio feed down on moments silence?

They did, just been on SSN about how some idiots were whistling and shouting stuff.

Anyway, there were about 5 people whistling, then an ironic "shut your f****** mouth" from a fan up near the back of the west stand. Nothing major, but I still can't understand why people do it.

According to The Times, the referee ended the minute's silence after only 27 seconds because the jeering was so bad.

Capello deserves a bit more credit than he seems to be getting in the media at the moment. He's trying to get the team to play in a more modern, sophisticated way, and getting them out of the straitjacket of a rigid British-type 4-4-2. So many times, I've seen England teams roll over weaker teams, only to come unstuck in major tournaments when they have to raise their game to beat class opposition. The new system isn't going to flow straight away, but there were plenty of times last night when we were using the ball very well.

The better players will thrive, and the lesser ones (Ashley Cole, Brown) will get found out. I think Owen will be in the latter category, but the team is more important than the individual. We've got to stop trying to build the side around the needs of one player - and that applies at club as well as national level.

Guest Ridzuan

Was disappointed not to see Owen playing,the only reason why Im supporting England.Woke up 3.30 in the morning for nothing,well actually I was glad to see the Italy-Portugal match which Italy of course won convincingly.As for England,great start for Capello,but was disappointed he did not pick Owen because Im sure he would definitely bag a goal or two had he play.

I think it is the end for Owen as this type of system (451/433) does not suit him as he cannot play the central role nor the wide one up front. In fact KK/NUFC might be the only home for him as most top teams don't play 442 (Liverpool do but don't want him). If Mort had the courage he should offer Owen a contract extension on less money!

I'm not even sure if KK's that big a fan despite all the public praise at the moment He dropped him for England on one occasion as manager, and Owen did whinge in his book about Keegan constantly criticising him.

Anyway, there were about 5 people whistling, then an ironic "shut your f****** mouth" from a fan up near the back of the west stand. Nothing major, but I still can't understand why people do it.

According to The Times, the referee ended the minute's silence after only 27 seconds because the jeering was so bad.

It was certainly ended early, but it really was just a few idiots. Don't know why they're hyping it up so much.

Agree with Alex over the minutes clapping, but Manchester United specifically requested a silence. It was actually going to be a minutes applause last night but they complained and got it changed.

I agree with Capello - not just Owen but the rest of the empty headed overpaid "I'm in unless I decide to be unfit" brigade (Ferdinand, Terry et al)

I agree with Capello - not just Owen but the rest of the empty headed overpaid "I'm in unless I decide to be unfit" brigade (Ferdinand, Terry et al)

How many games have those 2 actually missed for England without missing the following games for their clubs though? I can think of better examples tbh, but I fo get your point.