attention old timers.

madras

does this bring back any memories from the 70's and possibly very early 80's.

from 53secs onwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnIpQhDn4Zg

Late fifties or early sixties - Russ Conway with Billy Cotton. My mother was madly in love with Russ Conway!! She kept saying what a great pianist he was, even though he only had three fingers and a thumb, on one hand.

Also, less of this "old timers" stuff, Mr Embryo. You do realise (or don't you?) that by 'approximately' the week after next (it will seem to you, absolutely) you will be "grown up and well past it / half dead" in the eyes of the next generation of little kiddiewinkies on here! 

from 53secs onwards.

Late fifties or early sixties - Russ Conway with Billy Cotton. My mother was madly in love with Russ Conway!! She kept saying what a great pianist he was, even though he only had three fingers and a thumb, on one hand.

Also, less of this "old timers" stuff, Mr Embryo. You do realise (or don't you?) that by 'approximately' the week after next (it will seem to you, absolutely) you will be "grown up and well past it / half dead" in the eyes of the next generation of little kiddiewinkies on here! 

but do you remember being played regularly at the match ?

whats this bit about the week after next ? i'm probably seen as well past it or half dead already.

from 53secs onwards.

whats this bit about the week after next ? i'm probably seen as well past it or half dead already.

Yeah - me too!!!

Been going to the match since 1967 (off and on) then permanently from 1970, but I don't actually remember that. What I do remember, for many years, was a sort of 'big-band' or orchestra type instrumental (marching tunes??) type tunes, being played before the match and probably at half time.

Does anyone remember them - seemed to be for years into the seventies - marching 'military-type' music??

from 53secs onwards.

Yeah - me too!!!

Been going to the match since 1967 (off and on) then permanently from 1970, but I don't actually remember that. What I do remember, for many years, was a sort of 'big-band' or orchestra type instrumental (marching tunes??) type tunes, being played before the match and probably at half time.

Does anyone remember them - seemed to be for years into the seventies - marching 'military-type' music??

yip i remember that.

i deffo remember the russ conway stuff from the season afetr we got relegated. standing in the e-wing with my spud-u-like at about 2pm and they must have put the album on aevery week for at least a season or two

from 53secs onwards.

Yeah - me too!!!

yip i remember that.

i deffo remember the russ conway stuff from the season afetr we got relegated. standing in the e-wing with my spud-u-like at about 2pm and they must have put the album on aevery week for at least a season or two

Are you talking about when we got relegated in 77/78?

It just seems odd that they suddenly started playing piano music from the 1950s!!  It is also odd that I don't remember it, as I so remember my "mother and Russ Conway and his fingers" (!!) so I would have thought I would remember hearing it then!

Having said that, my memory is sh*t . .  where am I??

Guest johnny tightlips

I go back to the late 60's as well and don't remember Russ Conway but I do remember the marches.  Basically it was John Philip Sousa's greatest hits.  Bought a tape of them a while back and can't listen without smiling

Ahhhhhhhhhhh memories

My lasting memory

The bloke in the brown overcoat walking round the cindertrack before the game shouting:

PEANUTS, TANNER A BAG, PEANUTS, TANNER A BAG

Ohhh, and those bloody awful boiled hambuegers on stale buns

and

THE BOILING HOT PLASTIC CUP OF BOVRIL

Ahhhhhhhhhh, happy days

Guest johnny tightlips

Another question I've always wanted to know the answer to.  Why was the West Stand painted light grey and dark grey stripes?  Did it start black and white and the black fade to dark grey while the white dirtied up to light grey - did the board just buy a job lot of surplus paint  from the Navy and thought "that's close enough" or what?

It was an ugly shithole back then wasn't it, hard to tell it apart from half the industry along Scotswood Rd at the time. :)

It was never as bad as when they pulled the Leazes down the same season we were relegated, I'm sure we'd have came back up sooner if the Leazes had not been pulled down, the noise would have made a difference.  I had mates who even stopped going because of it.

Guest walkerboy

remember Russ conway well-as has been mentioned all the mums seemed to love him. i started going 68-69 for over ten years but i cant remember any music at all-mind i was in the leazes a lot.

peanuts!! he could lob a bag half up the gallowgate with great accuracy. and dont forget trying to decipher

the scoreboard with yer programme at half-time scores-ee they were the days-go t match and still have change for pease pudding and savaloy afterwards on sheilds road

It was an ugly shithole back then wasn't it, hard to tell it apart from half the industry along Scotswood Rd at the time. :)

It was never as bad as when they pulled the Leazes down the same season we were relegated, I'm sure we'd have came back up sooner if the Leazes had not been pulled down, the noise would have made a difference.  I had mates who even stopped going because of it.

I'd never stood anywhere but the Leazes before that. I'll never forget the wierd sensation of watching my first game from the Gallowgate, felt like I was in the wrong ground.. "Sing in the Leazes!"

from 53secs onwards.

Thats the 60's, not 70's. EARLY 60's at that.

yes the music is but not when they played it at the match

for example they recently played  "if the kids are united" by sham 69 but it isn't 1978.

i never set foot inside till 1974 and i remember it from going with my mates so that'll put it relegattion season or the year after.as my mate has said it used to come on practically as the turnstiles opened

On the subject of nostalgia, what happened to the Scottish connection?

When I first started going to matches, loads of fans were wearing these black and white tartan scarves. You'd occasionally see a Scotland flag, a black and white kilt and even the occaisonal chant for Scotland.

I'm talking away matches here, mind.