Premier League games to be played abroad?

stozo

Guest elbee909

Continuing the theme of my previous post, I'm starting to like my idea more.  Chances are when people can watch 1 of 10 Spanish league games in their own backyard, they’d realise the gulf in real class between the Premier League and overseas.

Just sent this to F365:

---

I've got an idea that'll either make them think twice about whoring

English teams out abroad, or expose us to an arguably better standard

of football.

Simply put, while our teams are flashing their drawers overseas, we

get the Primera Liga teams to do the same over here.  Serie A as well,

why not.  Anyone decent, let's be having you, as Delia might say.  If

our PL stadiums are to be empty for that week let's get the likes of

Ronaldinho and Ibrahimovic here instead of our cloggers.

Maybe the idea of an 'erosion of domestic market share', as our

domestic fairweather fans (the kind they're trying to appeal to

internationally) start getting more interested in European football,

well, it might make them wonder if they like the idea of clubs

marketing themselves abroad like this, after all.

I just get the funny feeling the FA might not like the idea reversed

like this, somehow.  Call me cynical.

Sir Alex Ferguson has hit out at the Premier League after not being consulted over plans for an 'international round' of fixtures.

The landmark proposal would see every top-flight club play an additional fixture in a foreign city from the 2010/11 season.

Manchester United boss Ferguson would not give his view on the plan, but was clearly unimpressed by the timing of the Premier League's announcement.

Mouth shut

Ferguson said: "What disappoints me is [united chief executive] David Gill phoned me and said 'keep this quiet, we are going to discuss it' and then it's all over the papers this morning.

"They can't keep their mouth shut down there.

"I think if they are going to do these things they should have been enquiring and having discussions with managers and players before they come out with all this stuff and make an issue of it.

"These issues should be discussed internally by clubs before they come to this position we are today but until I speak to David Gill again I have nothing more to say about it."

Substitute boost

Ferguson was "delighted" however that the Premier League will allow a bench of seven substitutes rather than five from next season.

He added: "I have said that for years. It should be 11 subs on the bench, as most clubs carry a squad of 22 or 23 players. At least this helps.

"Last Sunday at Tottentham we had players sitting in the stands who could have been on the bench contributing something towards the team."

Continuing the theme of my previous post, I'm starting to like my idea more.  Chances are when people can watch 1 of 10 Spanish league games in their own backyard, they’d realise the gulf in real class between the Premier League and overseas.

Just sent this to F365:

---

of football.

Nee chance

Domestic market is dwarfed by the potential global for starters so the "erosion" would be minimal.

AND where would these imported games be played and realistically would anyone be bothered to go??

Guest thenorthumbrian

"Gypsies, tramps and thieves"

The whole idea of our teams dragging their carcases around the world to flog themselves to the highest bidder like some sporting equivalent of a back street tart is sickening.

Guest elbee909

Just sent this to F365:

---

of football.

Nee chance

Domestic market is dwarfed by the potential global for starters so the "erosion" would be minimal.

AND where would these imported games be played and realistically would anyone be bothered to go??

Where would the imported games be played?  Are you kidding?  So all the PL teams go abroad for a week, and I wonder if there'll be anywhere in the UK for football matches to be played... well, perhaps at the stadiums that are empty here?  Just a thought.

Personally would definitely be up for going to see Spanish or Italian teams going at it in England.  They could easily market it up and get some decent gates.  This is one of the most cosmopolitan countries in Europe with decent transport infrastructure and a lot of football fans, basically.

If the domestic market isn't that important why don't we get the same choice of live TV matches on a matchday as they do abroad?

"Gypsies, tramps and thieves"

The whole idea of our teams dragging their carcases around the world to flog themselves to the highest bidder like some sporting equivalent of a back street tart is sickening.

They're not any longer, they used to be, because they needed us, we were the lifeblood, we're not any longer.

Just sent this to F365:

---

of football.

Nee chance

Where would the imported games be played?  Are you kidding?  So all the PL teams go abroad for a week, and I wonder if there'll be anywhere in the UK for football matches to be played... well, perhaps at the stadiums that are empty here?  Just a thought.

Personally would definitely be up for going to see Spanish or Italian teams going at it in England.  They could easily market it up and get some decent gates.  This is one of the most cosmopolitan countries in Europe with decent transport infrastructure and a lot of football fans, basically.

If the domestic market isn't that important why don't we get the same choice of live TV matches on a matchday as they do abroad?

Not kidding at all and your thought is totally wrong.

Think about it, these clubs that are tarting themselves all over the globe just happen to let a threat/competitor undermine their global vision and even help them by letting them use their stadiums. Oh Aye that'll happen  :rolleyes:

It would be nice to think there'd be some fans demos over this. One or two weekends where fans stay away from matches. Most people would probably just go with the flow and accept though once the dust settles.

Guest elbee909

Just sent this to F365:

---

of football.

Nee chance

Think about it, these clubs that are tarting themselves all over the globe just happen to let a threat/competitor undermine their global vision and even help them by letting them use their stadiums. Oh Aye that'll happen  :rolleyes:

Ok, stick them in decent Championship stadia if they have a problem.  I'm sure though, that the poorer Premier League clubs wouldn't exactly sniff at the chance of getting a decent gate while they were away.

On one hand you're implying no-one would be bothered to go, on the other hand that teams here wouldn't let anyone undermine their global vision by using their stadia.  I'm sure they won't mind if no-one turns up, as you seem to think is likely.

It would be nice to think there'd be some fans demos over this. One or two weekends where fans stay away from matches. Most people would probably just go with the flow and accept though once the dust settles.

Unfortunately the season ticket market has made a "stay away" somewhat impotent.

By even considering this the EPL has acknowledged publicly that the domestic market isn't enough, if the local fans start causing bother, they'll just look all the harder elsewhere to take up the slack (or rather increase the fat)

Just sent this to F365:

---

of football.

Nee chance

Ok, stick them in decent Championship stadia if they have a problem.  I'm sure though, that the poorer Premier League clubs wouldn't exactly sniff at the chance of getting a decent gate while they were away.

On one hand you're implying no-one would be bothered to go, on the other hand that teams here wouldn't let anyone undermine their global vision by using their stadia.  I'm sure they won't mind if no-one turns up, as you seem to think is likely.

It's NOT going to happen, even the poorer Prem Clubs will be away making 1/20th of the global pot, they're not going to be interested/allowed by the others to facillitate anything that could interfere. I would even suggest that the EPL clubs would frown on any aspiring club (better fizzy-pop league club) upsetting their apple-cart.

With regard to your second point, EVEN if alternative venues were found and it was hyped to fuck, would you go? - and because it's not at your usual local venue would you travel any distance, which would likely be required.

If I wanted to see a Milan,Barca,Real play a league game I'd like to see it in Milan,Barca or Madrid. I wouldn't travel domestically anywhere in this country to see it.

In fact if an import game was clashing with the Toon playing Everton in Katmandu, I'd be in front of me telly.

The problem with your argument (however well meaning) is that there isn't a huge market here for foreign footy, the other side of that coin, which is the thing causing the bother, is that there IS a huge foreign market for our games.

I think this plan is horrible, but I honestly think it is inevitable... the game has been removed further and further from the fans since the invention of the premiership - we have enjoyed the higher standards and excitement but sadly we are now going to have to witness the end result.

I might have got the wrong end of the stick but am I right in thinking that the suggestion is for the 10 matches to be played in 5 cities with the cities bidding for a package of 2 matches, one a Man Utd v Newcastle type and the other a Fulham v Reading type, with all matches being played on the same weekend in January?

Yes, the proposal is driven by the success of the NFL game at Wembley and is designed basically to generate more money.  But if each club is being guaranteed £5m, that cannot be a bad thing for the game in general and the clubs in particular.  Of course it would have to be properly assessed and there is also FIFA who have to be convinced, but I'm prepared to give the concept a cautious thumbs up.  It needs a lot of detailed investigation and may not happen in the fullness of time, but the PL are trying to make the product stronger and if, for only that reason, I don't think it should be dismissed out of hand.

i think all this moneys going to do is push transfer prices, wages and indeed ticket prices up even more. doesnt improve the standard of academy players much at all, just means all the foreign players come to the prem for megabucks and the foreign teams cant compete

i think all this moneys going to do is push transfer prices, wages and indeed ticket prices up even more. doesnt improve the standard of academy players much at all, just means all the foreign players come to the prem for megabucks and the foreign teams cant compete

Yep and the EPL becomes the "greatest show on earth" and coins it in

I am really torn over this concept.

On one hand I really am concerned about the impact such travel would have on the team and club (financially and physically) for a game in the middle of the home and away season.

But on the other hand, as someone who stays up to 3am or 5am every weekend to watch the team I love, I'd do and be prepared to pay just about anything to see them in the flesh for a change.

I'd do and be prepared to pay just about anything to see them in the flesh for a change.

Fly to England then?

I am going to.... but that will take a few more pennies than paying for the most expensive ticket at our most expensive ground (cheapest return airfare to UK is around 725 Pounds, and that's not necessarily a viable flight, nor including accommodation, flight to Newcastle, ticket to ground, etc...)

Montey, why don't you just record it and get up at a normal time?

Because its not the same.  If I watch it live I get to yell at the TV (my wife frequently gets woken up when the Toon are playing), get online and yell with other supporters, and to experience the game in real-time rather than knowing the results first, which ruins the experience and destroys the emotional involvement.

What would happen if all the Premiership teams got together and just said 'we're not doing it'?

They can f*** off.  The proposers of this idea clearly don't care about football, just about the money.

It's the PL clubs who have suggested it, ALL 20 of them