Premier League games to be played abroad?

stozo

Guest NUFCrichard

Are they suggesting 10 games abroad every season?  Seems a bit excessive!  Why don't we export 1 or 2 games a season like the NFL are doing now?

If a team is willing to give up a home game (I'm sure they'll be compensated - £££) then I see no reason not to move games every now and then.  If they played 2 Premier League games a season abroad then we would lose 1 home game every 10 years, not the end of the world!

The adding of 39th random game is pure lunacy, it cannot and will not ever happen imo

I'm all for playing a game or 2 abroad.

The proposition there however is a big old pile of w***

What about this.  Top 5 Teams obviously get into europe as normal then the next 4 teams go into a cup playing 2 games and the winner gets into europe.  At least it would add something to it and wouldn't piss too many teams off other than the 6th placed team.  Only problem is the other countries will only be bothered about watching Man u, Arsenal etc....

Wow, I'm one of the fans who would benefit from this, and even I think it's a stupid idea. We already get friendlies over here in North America, and most fans don't know the difference at any rate.

Good point.

I see Sky Sports News bigging the whole thing up, money grabbing twats that they are.

Guest fatshaft

So following the footsteps of the NFL with the Dolphins and Giants playing at Wembley last year. They are now doing that every year, but obviously it's just the 2 teams from one of the divisions, instead of what they are proposing (all 20 teams) - in a way that actually seems fairer! They are doing it as a way of promoting the game, but with Soccer, the game doesn't need to be promoted, but it would definitely draw in more revenue and excitement about the premiership worldwide. The premiership is already huge in North America and Asia, so I suppose it's a way of rewarding there support instead of them traveling to England as many already do.

I'm a bit skeptical about added one extra game and also about the random draw. Just doesn't sound like many teams would favour it, contrary to that article. 

Nail on head. The greedy bastards have seeen the NFL playing in London, and thought $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. They fail to realise that a large part of the reason the NFL did that is because they are basically a one country sport that is trying to expand, not a worldwide sport where everyone already plays.

I imagine FIFA will be going wtf wtf today. They are pretty protective of national boundaries. Remember the idea of Wimbeldon playing out of Dublin was shot totally out of the water.

Good to see the top teams are seeded to make sure it's not a title decider.

Of course the bottom teams get no such guarantee.

Absoloute fucking disgrace.  Can you imagine going down because you drew Arsenal for this game and your main rival got Derby?

I'm amazed any of the other 15 would even consider going along with it.

I can't see it working, I don't think any team would be happy giving up home advantage in any game.

Money can be a big influence though.

They wouldn't be though, would they? This is one extra match per team played on a 'neutral' venue.

What if it turns out to be picking games at random to be played abroad, how would people feel about Newcastle vs Sunderland being played in Asia?

:angry:

But we'd have already had the fixtures out where we know we'd be playing them home & away. This would just be a third fixture.

Guest nufc 4 life

What if it turns out to be picking games at random to be played abroad, how would people feel about Newcastle vs Sunderland being played in Asia?

:angry:

But we'd have already had the fixtures out where we know we'd be playing them home & away. This would just be a third fixture.

no he's suggesting another idea i think... i.e instead of playing the 39th game, they just choose all the games you would play abroad at random (and what would you think if the random game was newcastle vs sunderland away in asia)

Official regular season Premier League games involving all clubs? Absolutely not. Would prove to be a huge disruption (financially and in terms of the toll it'd take on the players what with all the flying, extra game in already busy schedules etc), would remove home/away dis/advantage, would just not work. Can't help but feel that there is enough money in the game already.

Would rather play the Community Shield over there or a series of friendlies, or even just a couple of regular season fixtures than what is being proposed.

It is money motivated but could you see any sane (i.e. greedy) owner rejecting this plan? It'll be something similar to the NFL and how they do it. The only harm is to the local fans of the club and do you think the owners/PL actually care about them? They've demonstrated on many occasions that £ is their bottom line so I expect this to happen very soon.

what irritates me is that the big 5 wont play each other. how the hell in any way at all is that fair? why should we have a chance of having to play man united again, whereas chelsea the hardest theyd possibly get is aston villa (assuming man u arse chelsea liverpool everton)

Guest elbee909

Great news.Now Im considering whether I should migrate to Newcastle in the future or not.If this is true,then I might not think about migrating then.

There is such a thing as overdoing it, the persona, you know... ;)

Guest assyriantoon

i think that it cant work with a 39th game. They would have to work out 2 games per team, one home one away, being changed to the neutral venue. The reason is because I would hate to be in a battle and have to play man utd 3 times while my main rival plays derby 3 times.

Official regular season Premier League games involving all clubs? Absolutely not. Would prove to be a huge disruption (financially and in terms of the toll it'd take on the players what with all the flying, extra game in already busy schedules etc), would remove home/away dis/advantage, would just not work. Can't help but feel that there is enough money in the game already.

Would rather play the Community Shield over there or a series of friendlies, or even just a couple of regular season fixtures than what is being proposed.

Fact is that avenues of revenue are lkely exhausted/maxed out in UK.

Moving games overseas is purely to open new opportunities to fleece a new joe public of their hard earned.

Although who'll turn out for Bolton v Fulham?