Premier League games to be played abroad?

stozo

I really hope Ashley/Mort rejects the idea, even if it it means nothing when the votes come out, i'd be proud of them to realise not everything is about money.

Respect to any other club that does the same, praying were one of those against.

I really hope Ashley/Mort rejects the idea, even if it it means nothing when the votes come out, i'd be proud of them to realise not everything is about money.

Respect to any other club that does the same, praying were one of those against.

Did I not hear David Gold saying 20 out of 20 were for the idea.

Is it any wonder no kids play football any more?

Honestly. What a load of old shite the game is nowadays. Every day I fall out of love just a little bit more... :weep:

Honestly. What a load of old shite the game is nowadays. Every day I fall out of love just a little bit more... :weep:

Probably.  :weep:

But i hold on to hope they reject it.

Football is going down the toilet, i don't know why i bother anymore.

Honestly. What a load of old s**** the game is nowadays. Every day I fall out of love just a little bit more... :weep:

to be honest i fell out of love with the game a while back. i have partisanship to my club and little time for anything outside that. i only have intrest in games that affect my club or i have money on them

Don't mind the games being played overseas, it's the way league will go from being a true test of a teams worth to the lottery of a neutral game. What happens if the difference between 6th and 10th is decided because we got Man Utd, and Villa or whoever got that season's Derby?

As with the play-offs, NUFC will be the first to suffer.

Why don't they have the FA cup  and league cup semis abroad? The Fa Cup semis are neutral venues to start with, the games will be meaningful to the overseas fans, and worth the extra expense to the true fans.

Guest fatshaft

Honestly. What a load of old s**** the game is nowadays. Every day I fall out of love just a little bit more... :weep:

Quinn was just interviewed on SSn, and was quick to point out that they voted to look into the proposal, nothing more at this stage. He sounded cagey about it.

They haven't voted that this is nailed on. Also the game will be around December time, not season end. The plan is for 2010/11

cunts  :thdn: :thdn:

Fucking disgrace.

Playing one team three times in a season?

Fucking money grabbing lizards. That'll be the end for me, I'm afraid, I'm not going to carry on giving them my money to get bummed in the face because they want to market themselves in Kuala Lumpur.

Incidentally, don't kid yourselves about 'consideration', this WILL happen. Scudamore has already openly said the fans in the far east are in many ways 'the real fans'.

Got to agree with the outrage tbh. Massive, massive load of bollocks. Every single proposal and rumour I've heard on the radio/SSN has been pathetic. In any case I just can't see what the advantages are. What extra money will they make beyond the turnstyles and merchandise for a weekend? The games are televised anyway, both here and abroad.

Joke.

Even aside from my dislike of the whole concept of playing games abroad, I still don't see how this particular idea would work.

How can it be that you play one team 3 times and every other team twice?

Imagine losing out on a European place or getting relegated because you had to play Man Utd 3 times and your competitors only had to play Derby County 3 times.

I'm really starting to get pissed off with this alarmist attitude of the majority of English based fans about this. Just when I thought NUFC.COM was starting to improve and actually be a place worth visiting, they get in on this mass hysteria too.

First off I'm biased, I moved out to Calgary a few months back and have also lived in the US for a number of years but I am still a born and bred Geordie. So I have an huge interest in this.

It's hard for those who haven't experience life outside our tiny island to totally appreciate the impact premier league football has around the world. Out here when I tell people where I'm from a large percentage ask me if I support the toon and offer me their sympathies :) I can literally watch full football matches or football related programming on my TV 24/7, the coverage is excellent if you have the right package, I've watched the last 4 or 5 toon games live. Anyway the point I'm making is that, like it or not the English Premier League has a gobal appeal and the clubs would be missing out and totally insular in their thinking if they ignored those markets. You may think that is money motivated and it probably is but crap like "all supporters will be against this" such has been said by members of national supporters group is complete bollocks, because supporters in other countries will most certainly not be and it's those people who they seem to completely disregard.

This particular plan is flawed to the extreme, scheduling in the extra game to ensure everyone is treated fairly would be impossible, who wouldn't rather play Derby or the Mackems rather than Arsenal or ManUre in that "bonus" game. But the concept is absolutely right, giving those fans who aren't fortunate to be born close enough to gallowgate to watch their heros in person, a chance to see them play live in a MEANINGFUL game.

The schedule of a cup game abroad may be the only practicle way through this but I don't know I think the example the NFL has set should be applaud and those in power at the premier leauge should at least be exploring the posibility of bringing our beautiful game to the rest of the world. Perhaps the final champ league or Euro spot could be settled by a playoff abroad, something like that.

Anyway that's my rant, I'm off my soap box now and off my lunch break too.

I'm really starting to get pissed off with this alarmist attitude of the majority of English based fans about this. Just when I thought NUFC.COM was starting to improve and actually be a place worth visiting, they get in on this mass hysteria too.

First off I'm biased, I moved out to Calgary a few months back and have also lived in the US for a number of years but I am still a born and bred Geordie. So I have an huge interest in this.

It's hard for those who haven't experience life outside our tiny island to totally appreciate the impact premier league football has around the world. Out here when I tell people where I'm from a large percentage ask me if I support the toon and offer me their sympathies :) I can literally watch full football matches or football related programming on my TV 24/7, the coverage is excellent if you have the right package, I've watched the last 4 or 5 toon games live. Anyway the point I'm making is that, like it or not the English Premier League has a gobal appeal and the clubs would be missing out and totally insular in their thinking if they ignored those markets. You may think that is money motivated and it probably is but crap like "all supporters will be against this" such has been said by members of national supporters group is complete bollocks, because supporters in other countries will most certainly not be and it's those people who they seem to completely disregard.

This particular plan is flawed to the extreme, scheduling in the extra game to ensure everyone is treated fairly would be impossible, who wouldn't rather play Derby or the Mackems rather than Arsenal or ManUre in that "bonus" game. But the concept is absolutely right, giving those fans who aren't fortunate to be born close enough to gallowgate to watch their heros in person, a chance to see them play live in a MEANINGFUL game.

The schedule of a cup game abroad may be the only practicle way through this but I don't know I think the example the NFL has set should be applaud and those in power at the premier leauge should at least be exploring the posibility of bringing our beautiful game to the rest of the world. Perhaps the final champ league or Euro spot could be settled by a playoff abroad, something like that.

Anyway that's my rant, I'm off my soap box now and off my lunch break too.

Would you like the Tyne Bridge dismantled and rebuilt closer to home, while you're at it?

What is wrong with the Asian Cup they currently have? If the clubs are so insistant, instead of having them for league games, have 4 teams play a tournament in Japan, 4 in Australia, 4 in the USA, 4 in Dubai, etc...that way you can still seed it, based on league position (ie, 1st, 6th, 11th & 16th in one tournament, 2nd, 7th, 12th & 17th, and so on).

Agree with those that mentioned playing the Charity Shield abroad btw. It's a glorified friendly anyway, and invariably involves the teams most popular around the world.

Yeah, I think the Italian or German (maybe both actually) did that in the USA a couple of years ago.

This is ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE!!!!! If the club owners want money from abroad, go & run a club in these places. NEWCASTLE UNITED'S HOME GAMES = SJP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

The English football fan is thought of nothing but shite in this country. WE are the real money behind the SKY TV money. It is US fans that have to fork out for two tv subscriptions now if we want to watch football legally on the TV in our homes. The PFA get a % of the money from TV & the players get huge contracts because of OUR TV money, what do we get a increase year on year for our season tickets if we do not comply with a letter sent through our door within 4 weeks. Will any money from OUR TV money but put aside to reduce the cost of going to the match? WILL IT FUCK, THESE CUNTS ARE OUT TO RINSE US!!!!

I thought about chucking the season ticket in on the morning of the day Sam get sacked, but it shit like this makes me think about it again. Clubs, The Premier League, Players they dont give a shit about us, why should I give my coin to them. When they do have something to say about us it is always "and the fans" we are nothing but an after thought. SCREW THESE BASTARDS!!!!

This is a good idea that needs careful management.

It's no good expecting thousands of Singaporeans, for instance, turning at to watch Fulham v Bolton Wanderers or, for that matter, us v anybody else. If, however, the match was followed back to back on the same day, by Liverpool v Derby County or Manchester United v anybody, then there is revenue in this. The revenue wouldn't just be generated by the matches themselves but by other tie-ins concerning TV rights for the whole competition and so on.

Worth thinking about.

This is ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE!!!!! If the club owners want money from abroad, go & run a club in these places. NEWCASTLE UNITED'S HOME GAMES = SJP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

The English football fan is thought of nothing but s**** in this country. WE are the real money behind the SKY TV money. It is US fans that have to fork out for two tv subscriptions now if we want to watch football legally on the TV in our homes. The PFA get a % of the money from TV & the players get huge contracts because of OUR TV money, what do we get a increase year on year for our season tickets if we do not comply with a letter sent through our door within 4 weeks. Will any money from OUR TV money but put aside to reduce the cost of going to the match? WILL IT f***, THESE c***s ARE OUT TO RINSE US!!!!

I thought about chucking the season ticket in on the morning of the day Sam get sacked, but it s*** like this makes me think about it again. Clubs, The Premier League, Players they dont give a s*** about us, why should I give my coin to them. When they do have something to say about us it is always "and the fans" we are nothing but an after thought. SCREW THESE BASTARDS!!!!

This is for overseas fans though. We're still getting our 19 home games, 19 away games, I agree with playing abroad in principle, just think this is a totally wank way of doing it.

The English football fan is thought of nothing but s**** in this country. WE are the real money behind the SKY TV money. It is US fans that have to fork out for two tv subscriptions now if we want to watch football legally on the TV in our homes. The PFA get a % of the money from TV & the players get huge contracts because of OUR TV money, what do we get a increase year on year for our season tickets if we do not comply with a letter sent through our door within 4 weeks. Will any money from OUR TV money but put aside to reduce the cost of going to the match? WILL IT f***, THESE c***s ARE OUT TO RINSE US!!!!

I thought about chucking the season ticket in on the morning of the day Sam get sacked, but it s*** like this makes me think about it again. Clubs, The Premier League, Players they dont give a s*** about us, why should I give my coin to them. When they do have something to say about us it is always "and the fans" we are nothing but an after thought. SCREW THESE BASTARDS!!!!

This is for overseas fans though. We're still getting our 19 home games, 19 away games, I agree with playing abroad in principle, just think this is a totally wank way of doing it.

Problem with that is the ones who go to all the games home and away no doubt pride themselves on the fact they follow the team for every single minute. Take one game out of their reach and they'll not be impressed.