Munich air disaster - a fine example of where the media's loyalty lies

Guest Phil K

Yes, it was dreadful, yes, it was 50 years ago - but hells effing bells - the rags and TV have gone WAAAAAAAY over the top on this, haven't they ?

To me, it just shows how much bias there is from the media (and the FA it has to be said) towards the team everyone loves to hate.

Remember when Busby died and they demanded EVERY club had a minutes silence ? This when it was normal only to have it where the team itself was playing ? Black arm bands and all that ?

Then Man U and the rags whined when it wasn't respected 100% everywhere ?

Players - done for George Best, but not Bobby Moore as I recall - why ?

Or maybe I'm just showing my loathing of them ?

I think there's a lot of truth in what you say, I don't think Bob Paisley got the same treatment as Busby for example. I think this is different in a way though, since it was a huge event for English (and World) football and it will probably be the last rememberance of it on anything like this scale (not that many people will still be alive, relatively speaking, that will be able to remember it in 10 years time). Think Man Utd's insistence on a minute's silence rather than a minute's applause this weekend is daft too. Better than the one for Ken Bigley though :razz:

Rules are always different for Man Utd.  Man Utd can do what they want and everyone has to agree with that.

It's the law.

This I agree with 100% and frankly it's getting beyond an effing joke.

Alex has a point to an extent on how this is different - to an extent anyways.

That said, the ridiculous garbage talked of about say, Duncan Edwards - you'd think he was a collosus that was 300% better than Pele, Puskas and DiStefano (giants of the time) rolled into one. How many games had he played ? They must have won them all 15-0, going by the over-the-top praise for him and his fellow players.

They didn't. They got beat a fair few times, y'know.

Think Man Utd's insistence on a minute's silence rather than a minute's applause this weekend is daft too. Better than the one for Ken Bigley though :razz:

I think a minutes applause at nothing would make me feel idiotic, personally. Reminds me of the end of Life of Brian with the Judea's People's Front applauding Brian for getting himself crucified !

I didnt know they'd done that at a FOOTBALL match for Bigley - wasn't he the silly sod who's tub-thumping political views got him killed by the very people he was defending ?

I meant it was a minute's silence for Bigley btw - still ridiculous. Agree about Edwards too, even though he may well have captained England in 1966 I'm not sure just how good he would have been but the assumption by many (who probably never saw him play) is that he would have been the best player ever. Obviously he was an excellent player for a someone so young but he could have been crippled by 25 just as easily, physiotherapy being what it was then. RIP, obviously.

It will be interesting to compare the coverage of last nites 27 seconds of -ahem- "Silence" and the inevitable disruption on Sunday.

Very true.

Guest hodsgod

All areas of the media went over the top when KK returned. All of a sudden Radio 5 was live from St James' etc. The press etc blow everything out of all proportion these days.

Guest fatshaft

Yes, it was dreadful, yes, it was 50 years ago - but hells effing bells - the rags and TV have gone WAAAAAAAY over the top on this, haven't they ?

To me, it just shows how much bias there is from the media (and the FA it has to be said) towards the team everyone loves to hate.

Remember when Busby died and they demanded EVERY club had a minutes silence ? This when it was normal only to have it where the team itself was playing ? Black arm bands and all that ?

Then Man U and the rags whined when it wasn't respected 100% everywhere ?

Players - done for George Best, but not Bobby Moore as I recall - why ?

Or maybe I'm just showing my loathing of them ?

Bobby Moore ahd "applause" at every ground didn;t he?

Guest icemanblue

Pissed me off the busby babes bollcoks there was 23 people that died that day not just 8 footballers.

Very good point.  There have been a few articles on the journalists etc, but not a great deal. 

Guest The Libertine

the man utd fans will demand respect for this, but will happily sing songs about marc vivien foe and hillsborough when it suits them.

Guest Sniffer

Duncan Edwards was a colossus at 21 according to everybody I know who saw him play. Man U were in the semis, had won the league at a canter for two seasons  and England would have benefited immensely in the '60s. They were on a par with the great contiental teams at that time and would have got better. Edwards by all accounts would have ranked up there with the great ones of the game.

A tragedy that manure have had a lot of mileage from,  but don't ignore what people who saw them play have to say and they weren't manchester fans at all.

I would have loved to see Duncan Edwards play.

At 22, the likes of N'zogbia wouldn't have been fit  to lace his boots.

Duncan Edwards was a colossus at 21 according to everybody I know who saw him play. Man U were in the semis, had won the league at a canter for two seasons  and England would have benefited immensely in the '60s. They were on a par with the great contiental teams at that time and would have got better. Edwards by all accounts would have ranked up there with the great ones of the game.

A tragedy that manure have had a lot of mileage from,  but don't ignore what people who saw them play have to say and they weren't manchester fans at all.

:lol:

Absolutely awful comparison!

Guest Sniffer

Not really. People are talking about N'zogbia as if he's the future of Newcastle and I'm making a comparison of how good Edwards was at a much younger age.

Aye when I've spoken to a lot of my older family members and such they all said what a cracking player he was.

Guest elbee909

I'd rather have Zoggy than a pile of ashes on the left.  I know people say Zoggy's lightweight but he does have corporeal form on planet earth at this time.

aahhhh but it has everything - death of young stars, heart strings, meeja people killed

AND it happened in Jormany!!!

best of all they don't have to pay anyone or do any research - they just recycle teh stuff from the 1 year, 2 year 5 year..... aniversary editions

Sometimes I feel like joining the Leeds chorus "not enough ice on the runway............."

All areas of the media went over the top when KK returned. All of a sudden Radio 5 was live from St James' etc. The press etc blow everything out of all proportion these days.

24 hrour/rolling news does that

Guest marky555

That comparison with N'Zogbia by Sniffle was ridiculous, what a completely pointless statement.

Why not just say he was meant to be mint at such a young age etc etc, instead of stating Zoggy wouldn't be fit to lace his boots?

Suppose the next argument will be he wasn't picking up £50k a week like the rest of these mercenaries nowadays eh?

Pointless