The Goalkeeping Situation

ChrisJbarnes
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest optimistic nit

Honestly I wonder how Given can be injured by that deflected shot.

My choice would be Krul but seems like Keegan doesn't rate him, and he is too injury prone as well.

don't see how you come to either of those conclusions.

just think if harper had played all these years how good he would be.

definately not a shade on the given of 2006. given's had a bad season, but harper is an average, but competant shot stopper, given can be much better. i refuse to single out given as hopeless when the whole team is a bag of shite. lets meddle with the positions that really matter, the midfield for one and better players up front and maybe an extra defender (top class, not anything less) then if given is holding back the rest of the team we should look elsewhere, but one thing that is for certain is that given is not one of the weak links in this current team, and since we know how good he can be i would be dead against replacing him until he is a weak link.

My choice would be Krul but seems like Keegan doesn't rate him, and he is too injury prone as well.

When Keegan signed Soderberg he did mention Given and Harper but not Krul---just like he even don't know Krul is belonged to Newcastle.

Check Krul's injury record---it is even more terrible than Given's.

On current form i would drop Given, his distribution of the ball has been shocking recently, Harper give a good performance the other day and so thats why i would put him in.  Krul i hope is the long term answer but i aint seen too much of him, maybe's another season of playing first team else were will be more benificial to him then sitting in our reserves or on the bench next year.

When Keegan signed Soderberg he did mention Given and Harper but not Krul---just like he even don't know Krul is belonged to Newcastle.

Check Krul's injury record---it is even more terrible than Given's.

Up until last season when Harwood destroyed Givens' stomach, Shay was very rarely injured. To say that he's had a terrible injury record is a bit daft really.

Up until last season when Harwood destroyed Givens' stomach, Shay was very rarely injured. To say that he's had a terrible injury record is a bit daft really.

Just this season. Not bashing Given though, just wanna point out Krul has too many injuries---his shoulders seems too weak for a professional goalkeeper.

Just this season. Not bashing Given though, just wanna point out Krul has too many injuries---his shoulders seems too weak for a professional goalkeeper.

Fair play. I think that one big injury tends to set you up for more.

Al Hadari, Egyptian goalkeeper, goalkeeper of the african nations, hes 36, but aparently very good!

Looked quality in the ANC, especially as a lot of African keepers tend to be a bit shonky.

Sign a 36 year old Egyptian goalkeeper to replace Given or Harper? Sounds mental to me!

Shay. Best we've got and not worth replacing when you look at the rest of the trash we've got.

But the problem isn't about ability, it's about confidence.  Given is a shadow of the keeper he was 2 years ago at an age he should be at his peak.  Spurs have had a similar problem with Robinson giving up goals, costing points.  Cerny isn't as good as Robinson but his confidence is intact and so he seems better.  That, I think, is the same scenario with Given and Harper, Given is the better keeper but Harper is the man with the confidence. 

I'd go with Harper for the rest of the season, pull Given out of the firing line and see if he can get his confidence restored in training.  If the confidence returns, fine.  If not, time for Harper with Krul as #2, or a new keeper coming in perhaps? 

Guest optimistic nit

honestly in my opinion the reason given is playing poorly isn't to do with confidence, its because he's got fed up of being fucked around by newcastle manager after newcastle manager by playing 10 idiots in front of him every match. may well hand in a transfer request in the summer unless the keegan/ashley/mort revolution persuades him tostay

honestly in my opinion the reason given is playing poorly isn't to do with confidence, its because he's got fed up of being f***** around by newcastle manager after newcastle manager by playing 10 idiots in front of him every match. may well hand in a transfer request in the summer unless the keegan/ashley/mort revolution persuades him tostay

But a couple of years ago, when you say he would have been pissed off then, he was superb.  Maybe he's pissed off the way it's going now, but the Given of now compared to the Given of 2 years ago is like chalk and cheese.

Guest optimistic nit

honestly in my opinion the reason given is playing poorly isn't to do with confidence, its because he's got fed up of being f***** around by newcastle manager after newcastle manager by playing 10 idiots in front of him every match. may well hand in a transfer request in the summer unless the keegan/ashley/mort revolution persuades him tostay

But a couple of years ago, when you say he would have been pissed off then, he was superb.  Maybe he's pissed off the way it's going now, but the Given of now compared to the Given of 2 years ago is like chalk and cheese.

its more of an accumalation imo. newcastle have been about to become successful according to the chairman for about 4 years, yet we've got worse year after year. i think that while 2 years ago he was more optimistic and believed it he's just snapped after continuous dissapointment.