Keegan is

Guest K9

How can conceding 4 goals in a half be a sign of things improving? ???

Firstly, it's 'gradually' improving.

Secondly, I didn't say we were really good now. We're still s*** and we have a crap defence, but we're passing better and the 1st half was a sign of how we're getting better day-by-day.

He can't perform miracles.

No, quite right he cant perform miracles and it would be daft to think he can turn things around straight away. I hope you are right about the signs and to be fair we did look quite good in the first half but there is a distinct lack of quality in the squad.

That's the overwhelming problem like. The distinct lack of everything in the squad. It's like we're a team of plastic manikins at times.

We need to do some serious spending this summer. If KK doesn't get the money, we're fucked pretty much.

He will back KK, i have no doubts about it...... unless we get relegated of course  :-X

Like I've said before if you want to move forward don't go to the past it rarely ever works out.

Thanks for those words of wisdom, now why don't you f*** off!

Dear oh dear we are a bit upset aren't we sweetheart, mustn't go criticizing the Geordie Messiah should we. BOO HOO Wanker!

nowt like a good slanging match to spice things up a bit

Secondly, I didn't say we were really good now. We're still s*** and we have a crap defence, but we're passing better and the 1st half was a sign of how we're getting better day-by-day.

No, quite right he cant perform miracles and it would be daft to think he can turn things around straight away. I hope you are right about the signs and to be fair we did look quite good in the first half but there is a distinct lack of quality in the squad.

That's the overwhelming problem like. The distinct lack of everything in the squad. It's like we're a team of plastic manikins at times.

We need to do some serious spending this summer. If KK doesn't get the money, we're fucked pretty much.

He will back KK, i have no doubts about it...... unless we get relegated of course  :-X

Really?

Really?

Well if he doesnt, then he wont realise his ambition. He has to!

Really?

I just got the opinion from the other thread that you're not impressed at all.

Really?

I just got the opinion from the other thread that you're not impressed at all.

With the new board? Not at all.

What else is he going to do? I think money will be made available but i think they've made a number of mistakes already, hence not being overly impressed.

Having sacked Allardyce and replaced him with Keegan, seen the ensuing football, it should be painfully obvious to all concerned that investment in playing staff is required.

What else is he going to do? I think money will be made available but i think they've made a number of mistakes already, hence not being overly impressed.

Having sacked Allardyce and replaced him with Keegan, seen the ensuing football, it should be painfully obvious to all concerned that investment in playing staff is required.

Fair enough. I tend to agree that they've not done all things the way I'd have liked so far.

I was referring more to the notion some follow that says if the board back the manager with money, they've done their job and that's that.

The only thing I think they've done wrong is sacking Allardyce when they did, it was either too soon or too late.

To do it bang in the middle of the transfer window was crazy, they should have either done it earlier and given the new manager a full transfer window after looking at the players first, or they should have waited to get the hard games out of the way with Allardyce.

Then they could have brought a new manager in for easier games when he would have had a better chance of lifting players.

I don't see how anyone could possibly disagree with that, Chez. Too many players who just aren't good enough - Smith, Duff, Barton (although in his case, he probably is good enough, but his fucked up personality has wrecked it), Carr, Ameobi. Even Taylor has never really impressed me.

It is all very well people laying into Keegan (I mean national press as much as anyone), but I don't see how anyone else could really do any better with the players at his disposal. Even the dependables like Given are looking dodgy.

As an outsider (disclaimers apply, I don't watch you every week), I fail to see the point in sacking Allardyce and appointing Keegan halfway through the January window. It means Keegan gets the shit storm of a dismal second half to the season where he's working with someone else's duff squad.

If I was going to place a bet on the success or not of Keegan's return, I'd always bet on failure, I just think these emotional returns never really work, but the fact that he has started when he has, and with the squad he has, with such a level of demoralisation makes it almost impossible for him to succeed.

I'm just surprised Ashley wasn't savvy enough to foresee that.

I don't see how anyone could possibly disagree with that, Chez. Too many players who just aren't good enough - Smith, Duff, Barton (although in his case, he probably is good enough, but his fucked up personality has wrecked it), Carr, Ameobi. Even Taylor has never really impressed me.

It is all very well people laying into Keegan (I mean national press as much as anyone), but I don't see how anyone else could really do any better with the players at his disposal. Even the dependables like Given are looking dodgy.

As an outsider (disclaimers apply, I don't watch you every week), I fail to see the point in sacking Allardyce and appointing Keegan halfway through the January window. It means Keegan gets the shit storm of a dismal second half to the season where he's working with someone else's duff squad.

If I was going to place a bet on the success or not of Keegan's return, I'd always bet on failure, I just think these emotional returns never really work, but the fact that he has started when he has, and with the squad he has, with such a level of demoralisation makes it almost impossible for him to succeed.

I'm just surprised Ashley wasn't savvy enough to foresee that.

and if they weren't savvy enough to see that, maybe they also weren't savvy enough to understand what an influx of cheap and 2nd rate players would bring ?

I don't think its impossible for him to succeed at all, if he gets the backing I'm sure he'll at least leave us better off than when he came in, he's done this at every club he's managed.

If KK gets the backing I'm sure he'll do just fine. If he doesn't get the backing then I really will be puzzled as Ashley doesn't seem to be in it for making money. He's not going to turn us into Arsenal overnight but I'm confident if he gets about 50m to spend (sounds like a lot but whoever the manager is we need it) he'll get us moving in the right direction fairly soon.

and if they weren't savvy enough to see that, maybe they also weren't savvy enough to understand what an influx of cheap and 2nd rate players would bring ?

I don't think its impossible for him to succeed at all, if he gets the backing I'm sure he'll at least leave us better off than when he came in, he's done this at every club he's managed.

Allardyce chose who to spend the money on and had more to spend if he had wanted, nobody forced him to spend £18 million on Enrique, Smith and Barton.

Regarding Keegan, it's not impossible, it will be easier if he's starting his first full season in the Premiership.  I can see him getting the blame if we go down, it'll not matter to some that he's working with dross that somebody else brought in.

It is plainly obvious that the players have been completely sapped of confidence and commitment - that did not happen overnight and it will not be solved overnight, no matter how extraordinary Kevin Keegan's psychological tactics and confidence-building may be. 

One win - or 90 minutes of a committed performance in a draw/loss to a team like Man Utd - will do wonders.  As will reshaping the squad in the summer - Keegan may have overestimated the skill level in the squad at the present, but he will not make the same mistake in the summer. 

English Premier Wigan         0-0 Aston Villa 19-11-2006

English Premier Aston Villa 1-1 Middlesbro 25-11-2006

English Premier Aston Villa 1-3 Man City 29-11-2006

English Premier Portsmouth 2-2 Aston Villa 02-12-2006

English Premier Sheff Utd 2-2 Aston Villa 11-12-2006

English Premier Aston Villa 0-1 Bolton           16-12-2006

English Premier Aston Villa 0-3 Man Utd 23-12-2006

English Premier Tottenham 2-1 Aston Villa 26-12-2006

English Premier Charlton 2-1 Aston Villa 30-12-2006

English Premier Aston Villa 0-0 Chelsea 02-01-2007

English FA Cup         Man Utd 2-1 Aston Villa 07-01-2007

English Premier Man Utd 3-1 Aston Villa 13-01-2007

That was Martin O'Neill's run of form from November of 2006 to mid-January 2007.  All of us knew he was a decent enough manager and a good fit at Villa, but it obviously took some level of patience from fans and board alike during that horrible run (5 points out of 36).

Keegan is the right fit for this club right now.  Even if the results are shit at the moment. 

He may be the "Geordie Messiah", but the fact remains not even he can polish a turd.

Survival this season is the stark target now, and hopefully he'll rebuild from the summer onwards, but the nagging doubts remain: will he have the bottle for the task ahead?

The only thing I think they've done wrong is sacking Allardyce when they did, it was either too soon or too late.

To do it bang in the middle of the transfer window was crazy, they should have either done it earlier and given the new manager a full transfer window after looking at the players first, or they should have waited to get the hard games out of the way with Allardyce.

Then they could have brought a new manager in for easier games when he would have had a better chance of lifting players.

There are, in my eyes, only two parameters in judging the new board.

Decision making over the manager and decision making over investment for the playing staff.

You then set these off against their objectives (ambitions for the team and financial).

Over these areas, they've not impressed me at all. You say they have only got one thing wrong (and thats fair enough) but it was the single most important decision they had to make. Mort said we wouldnt sign anyone but youngsters in January, which is what happened. I'd have been delighted if we had got Benjani instead of Man city.