Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

I'm hungarian, so I've seen Juhasz a few times. He is average at best. He is good in the air, good at going forward, can score goals (he used to be a striker), but he is weak for a CB, and slow, plus there are problems with his concentration too, often makes brambleesque mistakes. We can find much better centre backs.

I'm hungarian, so I've seen Juhasz a few times. He is average at best. He is good in the air, good at going forward, can score goals (he used to be a striker), but he is weak for a CB, and slow, plus there are problems with his concentration too, often makes brambleesque mistakes. We can find much better centre backs.

Excellent! Good to see our new scouting team is unearthing some gems.

It's probably bullshit anyway, but I haven't slagged off Wise etal yet so i thought i'd try it on for size.

Can anyone please tell me that there is absolutely nothing in these Dawson rumours?!?!?  :yikes:

From the beeb:

Bolton are ready to battle it out with Newcastle and Aston Villa for Tottenham's £4m-rated defender Michael Dawson. (Various)

oh oh !!

Guest VegasToon

Can anyone please tell me that there is absolutely nothing in these Dawson rumours?!?!?  :yikes:

From the beeb:

Bolton are ready to battle it out with Newcastle and Aston Villa for Tottenham's £4m-rated defender Michael Dawson. (Various)

oh oh !!

I would be very pissed if we went after Dawson.

From .com

A local TV station in Valencia has carried an interview with United defender José Enrique, who confirmed that he was enjoying life on Tyneside, but kept his options open when asked about a possible return to Spain.

The same player was then mentioned in the Spanish press in connection with a move to his hometown club Valencia - who reputedly value the 22 year-old at the £7m we paid Villarreal last summer for him.

Rather than a cash deal, a number of part-exchange options were mooted, including midfield pair Manuel Fernandes (recently loaned to Everton) and David Albelda.

Also linked is Valencia's Serbian striker Nikola Žigić, the 27 year-old who is fractionally taller than Peter Crouch.

Johan Elmander available at £5m(ish) according to SSN/Bolton evening paper as he is out of contract next season. Would be a decent alternative as the big man upfront for Viduka.

From .com

A local TV station in Valencia has carried an interview with United defender José Enrique, who confirmed that he was enjoying life on Tyneside, but kept his options open when asked about a possible return to Spain.

The same player was then mentioned in the Spanish press in connection with a move to his hometown club Valencia - who reputedly value the 22 year-old at the £7m we paid Villarreal last summer for him.

Rather than a cash deal, a number of part-exchange options were mooted, including midfield pair Manuel Fernandes (recently loaned to Everton) and David Albelda.

Also linked is Valencia's Serbian striker Nikola Žigić, the 27 year-old who is fractionally taller than Peter Crouch.

would hate to lose Enrique after the promise he is showing. Would certainly reject anything under 10m for him.

I'd love Fernandes here, straight replacement for Butt.

I rate Fernandes too but wouldn't have put him down as a Butt replacement tbh.

He's more of 'top of the diamond' type midfielder, no?

As far as i am concerned, we'd be fucked to find a better left-back than Jose Enrique this summer, regardless of whether not Keegan is satisfied with him. He's a very good palyer, who will progress significantly with games if you ask me. There's evidence of that at the back end of the season; not to say he started slowly - he didn't - but his performances were significantly more complete towards the end of the season. There's absolutely nothing to say that he won't continue to get better.

That's quite a tempting offer, because we need a quality center-midfielder, but shifting Enrique merely replaces one problem with another. There's plenty of other suitable centre-mids out there.

As far as i am concerned, we'd be fucked to find a better left-back than Jose Enrique this summer, regardless of whether not Keegan is satisfied with him. He's a very good palyer, who will progress significantly with games if you ask me. There's evidence of that at the back end of the season; not to say he started slowly - he didn't - but his performances were significantly more complete towards the end of the season. There's absolutely nothing to say that he won't continue to get better.

That's quite a tempting offer, because we need a quality center-midfielder, but shifting Enrique merely replaces one problem with another. There's plenty of other suitable centre-mids out there.

It depends on your viewpoint and how you want your side to play. I've liked Enrique from almost day one, because first and foremost he's a very strong defender. I would think his value will only rise as this becomes more widely recognised over the next couple of seasons. KK tends to view full backs more highly based on their ability to go forward and is maybe prepared to sacrifice a bit of defensive nous as a result.

No doubt in my mind there will remain a strong interest from other clubs in Enrique, especially from Spain. 

Anyone heard of Tranquillo Barnetta?

He's a young(19), very talented Swiss attacking midfielder. He's basically Switzerland's answer to David Beckham.

I saw a profile of him last night on Euro 2008 preview and he looks like a really good prospect. He also fits the bill for the type of player we're looking for.

He's a young(19), very talented Swiss attacking midfielder. He's basically Switzerland's answer to David Beckham.

I saw a profile of him last night on Euro 2008 preview and he looks like a really good prospect. He also fits the bill for the type of player we're looking for.

He's 23 and plays predominantly on the left wing. A good player, but as long as N'Zogbia is staying not necessarily what is needed.

He's 23 and plays predominantly on the left wing. A good player, but as long as N'Zogbia is staying not necessarily what is needed.

23!? What the fuck were they on about last night then? Maybe i wasn't listening properly.

Anyway, 23 is still a good age and if Duff is on his way............

Emmerson Boyce anyone?

http://www.fansfc.com/newcastlefootballclub/news.asp?newsid=186026

Newcastle United try for Latics defender

06:15 05/06/2008

Newcastle United Football Club are planning a raid on the JJB Stadium.

Kevin Keegan is eager to boost his defence this summer and hope to land Emmerson Boyce for around £3million, but Wigan Athletic boss Steve Bruce is eager to keep the 28-year-old.

"We're having discussions with Emmerson Boyce about him getting a new deal - he's done very well here," the Latics manager told the Wigan Evening Post.

This interest will come as a bit of a shock for Magpies fans who are hoping for a bigger-name signing to solve their defensive problems, but Boyce would add versatility to the squad.

Sidwell...

http://www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/mostpopular.var.2320427.mostviewed.sidwell_fee_out_of_uniteds_league.php

Sidwell fee out of United’s league

By Lee Hall

CHELSEA have warned potential suitors that Steve Sidwell will not be allowed to leave Stamford Bridge on the cheap, which could scupper any plans Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan has of taking the player to St James' Park, writes LEE HALL.

North-East rivals Middlesbrough and Sunderland are among a host of Premier League clubs chasing the 25-year-old, with Aston Villa believed to be favourites to land Sidwell.

But even a bid of £4m from Villa Park is likely to prove insufficient, with the managerless Blues holding out for £6m, despite signing the player from Reading on a free transfer last summer.

And that asking price could be enough to thwart Newcastle's attempts of signing Sidwell, who struggled to break into Chelsea's star-studded line-up last season, making just seven league starts.

Keegan sees Sidwell as a potential replacement for Emre, who is close to completing his move to Fenerbahce.

Keegan has accepted that there will be limited funds available after owner Mike Ashley revealed last month that the club will no longer be prepared to break the bank for big-name stars as he aims to reduce Newcastle's huge wage bill.

Sidwell is keen to remain in west London and prove his credentials at Chelsea. However, much will depend on who succeeds Avram Grant as Blues boss and whether or not they see Sidwell as part of their plans.

Keegan, who hopes to tie up a deal for Galatasaray midfielder Arda Turan, has also been linked with a move for Argentina international Pablo Aimar.

The 28-year-old has been transfer listed by Real Zaragoza following their relegation from La Liga.

Keegan could face competition from Liverpool, who were interested in signing Aimar in January's transfer window.