footballing morallity ?

madras

we all scream when a player dives, yet when a defender "trips" a forward we say he done the right thing. either way it's cheating and distorting the rules. at corners and free kicks we want our defenders to foul and cheat as much as necessary yet when ronaldo hits the deck its a heinous crime?

discuss

I don't like to see our players diving or cheating, but on the other hand, I do think we're far too honest because it's getting us nowhere.

Sick of seeing teams come to SJP, hoy themselves to the ground as soon as the ball leaves the ground and get a free kick out of it. I'm also sick of seeing us giving the ball back when one of the opposition has broken a nail.

I don't like to see our players diving or cheating, but on the other hand, I do think we're far too honest because it's getting us nowhere.

Sick of seeing teams come to SJP, hoy themselves to the ground as soon as the ball leaves the ground and get a free kick out of it. I'm also sick of seeing us giving the ball back when one of the opposition has broken a nail.

you say diving or cheating......does that include the regular emre clip of heels when someone breaks past him or defenders putting arms round forwrds at corners etc *ie fouling.

what i'm trying to do is equate the ronaldo dives with certainn defensive practices.

The thing with diving vs a cynical hack....the hacker gets caught and invariably gets a booking....wheras the divers get away with it...its not quite the same.

The one that annoys me is the blocking of runners on attacking set pieces....its invariably a foul but the ref would need a million pairs of eyes to spot it all.

The thing with diving vs a cynical hack....the hacker gets caught and invariably gets a booking....wheras the divers get away with it...its not quite the same.

The one that annoys me is the blocking of runners on attacking set pieces....its invariably a foul but the ref would need a million pairs of eyes to spot it all.

but divers often get caught,and i'm not just having a go at the cynical hack.

whati mean is cheating....is the dive as bad as the trip on a midfield break ?,they arent tret as such by refs or fans

but divers often get caught,and i'm not just having a go at the cynical hack.

whati mean is cheating....is the dive as bad as the trip on a midfield break ?,they arent tret as such by refs or fans

Do divers get caught as much as hackers though? Probably not, there are alot a variable factors as well, as a cynical foul will often occur during a counter attack either in the middle of the field or a bit further up, occasionally you get the professional foul which is dealt with accordingly.

You often dont get to see an end product from a set piece resulting from a cynical hack, whereas diving is more concentrated around the opposition box, which is a lot more of a dangerous position, you often see a lot of penalties resulting from dives which cost games, which is inexcusable.

There is a deceptive element in diving, but none is the hack.

And players of Ronaldo's ilk - ie. tearaway, ball-carrying wingers - have to constantly contend with defender's pulling the shirt, in particular the 'shirt pull' from the inside as the ball-carrier tries to beat his man on the outside. Often the senior official is blindsided depending on the ref's positioning, and it's a tough one for the sideline officials' to call as well. It's an often unpunished foul.

I have no problem when ball-carriers go down 'softly', or overplay the physical contact, when there's a hint of contact as mentioned above because a defender is trying to illegally negate the attacker's ability to gain that yard or two advantage, and players of Ronaldo's quality - ie. who have speed, the close control and technique needed to dribble at top speed, and the delivery/final ball & shooting ability to compliment - only need to gain that sort of leverage in order to wreak havok on the opposition.

If that overplay, on the part of the attacker going for a foul, occurs in a dangerous area on the edge of the box or inside the penalty area then it's tough luck. The shirt pulling art of defending is a game of Russian Roulette. Many times a defender will get away with it further up the pitch, however when they get nabbed - ie. when somebody like Ronaldo plays for the freekick or penalty when their progress is being impeded - it's often costly.

IMO it's a case of tough luck on the part of the defender, ultimately what goes around comes around.

If Duff goes down softly, and that results in a goal for us whether it be via freekick or penalty, and that has a bearing on us avoiding the drop this season or qualifying for Europe in a better year. Do i have a problem with that?........ hell no!

Fact is an a league this money-driven and all that people are going to use whatever advantage they can. Diving is cheating, the cynical hack is cheating. The point is that, in the majority of cases, players know the worst they will get is a booking/state of refereers in this country they'll get away with it. If the FA could appoint a team of officials who weren't complete gobshites then I don't this would be such a big issue. Also, if we would just embrace reality and realise we need video technology, we could also judge better if a player dived/a foul was a cynical hack or more of an attempt at the ball.

A foul is a foul, not always deliberate.

Where as a dive is a deliberate attempt to con the game. 

If our players foul, i think they should be doing better. Where as if they dive i'm disgraced we have players like that in our squad....... unless they win a pen ;)