Moving on from the prositutes of football.

Guest toonlass

You should support the team you were born in, non of this born in cardiff, decide to support newcastle s****

So your not allowed to support a team if your not born there?

People can't choose where they are born, but surely they have the right to choose which team they want to support?

You should support the team you were born in, non of this born in cardiff, decide to support newcastle s****

People can't choose where they are born, but surely they have the right to choose which team they want to support?

what country are you from ?

honest qusetion and after you answer my back up question will clarify why i'm asking

Guest NUFCGator

You're clearly an NUFC supporter when you watched the full 90 of last year's Birmingham match. Was completely and utterly disgusted and promised to never sit through such a shit fest again but then sat through the entirety of the Man U match because if Newcastle didn't win what's the point in trying to enjoy your Saturday. (I clearly haven't enjoyed a Saturday in a while)

Some tw@ in revolutions kicked me out tonight for wearing my toon top when i refused to put my jacket on... I had a right go at him, i could understand if it was glasgow or London but newcastle... at 5pm, pure tw@ imo

Guest rebel_yell12
I would point out that whilst people who live in, say, Denmark and choose to support, say, Newcastle, Villa, Man City or any other long term glory-shirkers are to be applauded, people who live in Denmark (or indeed, say, Thailand or Malaysia or wherever) and choose to support Chelsea, Man United or Liverpool should be driven to a secluded forest, lined up at the edge of a lime filled pit and despatched with a shot to the back of the head.

A tad extreme, I agree, but I really, really do not like gloryhunters.

Ouch, Brummie. 

Remind me to never go anywhere near a forest with Brummie.  I am one of those dreaded fans after all -- never lived in Liverpool (rather in York) but Dad and Granddad on both sides were Red, and raised my brother and me to be Red as well (as I explained in the "prostitutes" thread, NUFC has always been my second club).  And now, I live in America.  My job is here, my club is clearly nowhere near. 

Or perhaps Brummie, you meant that those who are "born" in Malaysia (or wherever) rather than "live" -- some mercy for the ex-patriates, please!

That said, also bear in mind that a few of us "non-local" but long-term fans of clubs like Liverpool and Chelsea were fans during some fairly unsuccessful years (for LFC, the 1990s).  But if I see one more f***ing American with ManUre gear who has never even been to OT (or even England) and just thinks it's "cool" to support that club, I may well implement Brummie's plan!  I know the MLS is sh**, but at least pick a club that's more than just a f***ing trend.  Know one American over here who randomly picked West Ham back in the 1970s and is still a fan.  Got some respect for him, I admit.  Another who follows Villa because she studied abroad in England during university and some of her flatmates were Villa fans. 

honest qusetion and after you answer my back up question will clarify why i'm asking

I'm English, born in England too.

do you support England ? if so ,why ?

Can already see where this is leading, but hey.

Yes I support England.  I'm English through and through and to support England is to support my fellow countrymen.  I also like to see Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland do well in major competitions.

Have to say it is a bit different with league football.  Let's face it, your not exactly cheering on a starting 11 of local lads at every football ground, in fact these days it's quite a novelty to have a local lad in your starting line, or even an English one for that matter for some clubs. 

From the stance some people are taking, you could say it’s acceptable to be a part of a football club as a staff member if your not local or from this country, but its not acceptable to be fan if your not local.  Why is this?

Yes I support England.  I'm English through and through and to support England is to support my fellow countrymen.  I also like to see Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland do well in major competitions.

Have to say it is a bit different with league football.  Let's face it, your not exactly cheering on a starting 11 of local lads at every football ground, in fact these days it's quite a novelty to have a local lad in your starting line, or even an English one for that matter for some clubs. 

From the stance some people are taking, you could say it’s acceptable to be a part of a football club as a staff member if your not local or from this country, but its not acceptable to be fan if your not local.  Why is this?

the idea is they represent a geographical area...thats why the vast majority are named after said area and also why the vast majority of football crowds are drawn from said area (yes even man utd).

given a footballing world of your view ,only 4 or 5 clubs would still be in existence as everyone (without the geo-pull of the local team)would just support those that they like.....which in 99% of cases are the succesful ones (coincidence ?....i think not).

Yes I support England.  I'm English through and through and to support England is to support my fellow countrymen.   I also like to see Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland do well in major competitions.

the idea is they represent a geographical area...thats why the vast majority are named after said area and also why the vast majority of football crowds are drawn from said area (yes even man utd).

given a footballing world of your view ,only 4 or 5 clubs would still be in existence as everyone (without the geo-pull of the local team)would just support those that they like.....which in 99% of cases are the succesful ones (coincidence ?....i think not).

Football has evolved though, clubs are more like brands these days.  I live in an area where there isn't a Premier League club for 100's of miles.  I made the decision to support Newcastle United as a child as I fell in love with the club, and from a child I've continued to support the club until today (I'm 26 now, supported them for over 15 years).  Would you say that as an adult now I should stop supporting Newcastle? simply because of your argument?

Also, I believe bigger clubs need more than local support, revenue speaking.  If you took away the TV money and shirt sales money etc. from non-local fans I'm sure it would make a massive dent in football clubs income which would seriously hamper any audacious plans to spend big.  Would you sacrifice that source of income for Newcastle to maintain the "you should only support your local club" attitude?

Football has evolved though, clubs are more like brands these days.  I live in an area where there isn't a Premier League club for 100's of miles.  I made the decision to support Newcastle United as a child as I fell in love with the club, and from a child I've continued to support the club until today (I'm 26 now, supported them for over 15 years).  Would you say that as an adult now I should stop supporting Newcastle? simply because of your argument?

Also, I believe bigger clubs need more than local support, revenue speaking.  If you took away the TV money and shirt sales money etc. from non-local fans I'm sure it would make a massive dent in football clubs income which would seriously hamper any audacious plans to spend big.  Would you sacrifice that source of income for Newcastle to maintain the "you should only support your local club" attitude?

a) why do you have to support a premiership club ? it's thinking like that that keeps lower league clubs down and in danger of diappearing.i can understand not giving your primary allegance to someone in the beezer homes league or whatever. i followed my nearest league club,as did many of my friends (lincoln city,sheff wed,coventry,hartlepool,doncaster and carlisle)

b) would it be a bad thing if the big clubs didn't get all the money ? surely it would even things up.

would i sacrifice it....yes. it's my belief football in general would benefit through it aswell.

oh and no i don't think you should change your club but i still cannot understand how you can support a team you've no connection with in the first place....even as akid i couldn't and had numerous arguments with liverpool,man utd and leeds (yes i'm that old) supporting. mates.

Well i live in Newry in Northern Ireland, had never been to a game before my 18th birthday because i basically couldnt afford it, since then ive been to 5 which is 2 years in May, i may be to another before that. Ill be moving to Newcastle in August and will try and get a season ticket. To me that makes me a good fan and im not from the area.

However, i live in Ireland, i was in the pub the other day for our game, surrounded by about 40 odd mancs, they are there for all their games and i swear they are pathetic, they claim to be great fans and i know for a fact most of them have never been to OT even though they can afford it. They do stuff like clap when subs are being made as if they were at the game, chant stuff like "cheerio, cheerio, cheerio" when the fans of their opponents are leaving the stadium ON THE FUCKING TV! To them fans that is support not going to games.

Infact one of my mates starting following Manure literally like a day or two after they won the league last season, for months he admitted he was a new fan but after months of glory supporting in the pub he now boasts of being a fan his whole life and always following his beloved "Yanited". The country is FULL of fans like that.

PATHETIC! Theres a HUGE different between foreign fans like me and foreign fans like them.

i was in the pub the other day for our game, surrounded by about 40 odd mancs, they are there for all their games and i swear they are pathetic, they claim to be great fans and i know for a fact most of them have never been to OT even though they can afford it. They do stuff like clap when subs are being made as if they were at the game, chant stuff like "cheerio, cheerio, cheerio" when the fans of their opponents are leaving the stadium ON THE FUCKING TV! To them fans that is support not going to games.

:lol:

Guest toonlass

However, i live in Ireland, i was in the pub the other day for our game, surrounded by about 40 odd mancs, they are there for all their games and i swear they are pathetic, they claim to be great fans and i know for a fact most of them have never been to OT even though they can afford it. They do stuff like clap when subs are being made as if they were at the game, chant stuff like "cheerio, cheerio, cheerio" when the fans of their opponents are leaving the stadium ON THE FUCKING TV! To them fans that is support not going to games.

Saying that the whole bar that I was in on Saturday stood up and cheered when the Pompey penalty went in  bluelaugh.gif

Incidentally, I am prepared to admit to some hypocrisy in my above rant.

The closest pro club to where I live is Coventry City, and by some distance (although I am from Brum). Villa Park is probably 40 miles away, yet the most frequently seen shirts around town (excluding Man U) are Villa shirts by a mile. I never see anyone wearing a Coventry shirt, and I can imagine that pisses off Cov fans hugely.

In fact, last time I went to Coventry, I noticed plenty of people walking around there in our shirts, too. I guess my point is that this kind of behaviour cascades down and annoys everyone on different levels.

The closest pro club to where I live is Coventry City, and by some distance (although I am from Brum). Villa Park is probably 40 miles away, yet the most frequently seen shirts around town (excluding Man U) are Villa shirts by a mile. I never see anyone wearing a Coventry shirt, and I can imagine that pisses off Cov fans hugely.

In fact, last time I went to Coventry, I noticed plenty of people walking around there in our shirts, too. I guess my point is that this kind of behaviour cascades down and annoys everyone on different levels.

My girlfriends dad is a Birmingham season ticket holder.  Was up there place over christmas having a few beers and watching match of the day.  He lives in Daventry though, so between Northampton and Coventry, yet still a blues fan.

My girlfriends dad is a Birmingham season ticket holder.  Was up there place over christmas having a few beers and watching match of the day.  He lives in Daventry though, so between Northampton and Coventry, yet still a blues fan.

You do get the odd bluenose away from town, sadly.

Villa's support under Ellis was neglected massively. Our (admittedly more latent) support also goes all the way down the M5 corridor to places like Gloucester, Worcester, Cheltenham, but under Ellis we never did anything to win them back when football started to recover in the early 90s, we were complacent and lazy.

Complacent, lazy football clubs end up paying for it nowadays. Oddly enough, Birmingham City are a good example of that currently.