Taylor threatening to leave again.

stozo

Guest float one in

It is central midfield where we're really losing matches like imo.

Aye, that's where most teams who lose consistently lose matches.

Can't keep the ball, can't get it back, if we do keep it there's no guile, no penetration. We hardly ever get defenders turned around from balls going through from midfield, so they just eat our pretty limited strikeforce for breakfast. First half against Villa, even though we played a fair bit in possession in the their half, and the Sky commentators were going on about what a hard game Smith was giving their centre backs, they were loving it because as long as they matched him physically (their bread and butter) we weren't threatening to score from open play. Against Blackburn we were better as a team, almost in spite of our inadequacy at centre mid. Butt is past his best, that is clear, but he'd be looking a lot better if there was someone alongside him using the ball productively.

This was all already happening under Allardyce btw, with a few exceptions (eg Arsenal, where Smith managed to rough house them very effectively).

It is central midfield where we're really losing matches like imo.

Absolutely, its utterly dreadful. The wide man are just as bad though.

I don't like making scapegoats but Nicky Butt has been absolutely awful recently. I wish he'd stop these long passes too

Thought Taylor and Faye did quite well yesterday until the first goal went in, at which point Smith and Butt decided they'd had enough and rather childishly left early for half-time.

I reckon they're our best CB duo for the rest of the year. It's not ideal by an means, but not much about our team is these days.

I prefer Faye and Cacapa, they compliment each other well, although against the more physical sides Faye should start with Taylor. Agree with the rest of your post, where was the midfield for the 2nd and 3rd goals?