This is football

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

So we are in a relegation fight. So we could go down. So.... isn't this what football is all about: Highs and lows? For the last few years I've become ever more disenchanted with the game and NUFC in particular. I was becoming bored of the same old self inflicted repeated crisis' off the field with the football on it never more duller in terms of knowing how things would pan out. Now though I'm nervously excited about games. I look forward to them with eager and equal dread. I'm scanning fixture lists every day, looking out for other clubs' results, doing sums in my head plotting our route to safety or conversely our downfall. I wonder what life would be like a division below. I actually looked at a list of teams in the division and thought I'd be up for that away trip and I've never been to an away match in donks and made a pact with myself to give them a miss. I talk more about the club in general real world conversation and our plight these days. So do others. Our predicament is the talking point of the Toon rather than another Freddy Shepherd fuck up, another sacking, another piss poor managerial appointment, another player getting arrested, another expected let down. For once it's on the pitch that matters and for the first time in ages I don't have the first clue how it will all end and to be honest, I'm actually surprisingly enjoying it all. For years the club has had nothing to aim for. Nothing real anyway. A trophy or three (sometimes four) may be on offer every season but you and I know that's something we don't do. UEFA Cup football is fucking boring tbh. And the league? Well mid-table is neither here nor there. It's a state of nothingness. Staying up or going down though... that's football and that's something very real and something which will happen one way or another. And I quite like knowing that, it sure beats the nothingness that mid-table brings, the boring feeling that UEFA Cup football brings or the sheer certainty of elimination before the honours are handed out a Cup run brings. I say bring it on. What happens, happens. Unite behind the club, manager, players and stay united. We'll stay up, it will be very close and very tense but fuck me, give me those feelings over mid-table or the pain of losing a Final, a Semi final or the tiresome trials and tribulations of the past like Barton getting jailed or Dyer being booed by home fans playing in England colors or Shepherd and his soundbites about us being the 8th biggest club in the world or whatever. That's not football, it's bull shit. This is football. Come on the Toon.

I've got to admit, it'd be nice to have a bit of excitement

I just seriously doubt we have the fight and will to play for the shirt that it takes to be in a relegation dogfight.

What you've just said is that Newcastle United is a nothing club that "doesn't do" trophies and that you actually want the club to do relegation battles instead? For goodness sake, if there's many more like you the club is dead - fact is there aren't, have a bit of ambition and support the club rather than this self-pity.

Guest LucaAltieri

Nah HTT.

You had me with all the upbeat stuff but expecting us to enjoy a relegation scrap is a step too far. Much prefer meaningless UEFA cup games against some Latvian nobodies.

Nah HTT.

You had me with all the upbeat stuff but expecting us to enjoy a relegation scrap is a step too far. Much prefer meaningless UEFA cup games against some Latvian nobodies.

I agree. 4.55 on Saturday was nearly as low as I have felt following NUFC and that's some list of candidates. Let's not pretend this is something to be embraced. I never want to feel like that again.

To get to what you class as "nervously excited" we have had to lose football games & many at that, to get to mid table we would have had to win football games. I go to games to watch us win. Ask yourself were all the painful defeats in August, September, October, November, December, January, February & March worth the excitement your getting now.....

Guest Knightrider

What you've just said is that Newcastle United is a nothing club that "doesn't do" trophies and that you actually want the club to do relegation battles instead? For goodness sake, if there's many more like you the club is dead - fact is there aren't, have a bit of ambition and support the club rather than this self-pity.

It has been a nothing club over the past years where football has played second fiddle to off field bull shit. We have become a circus club. And I'm sick and tired of it. I'm also sick and tired of the modern game and all the falseness about it. No I don't want us to be in a relegation fight either but I'm damned if I'm going to slit my wrists over it and be sucked into all this false OMG it's the end of the world shite or view it as "poor us". It isn't. There is no self-pitty on my part here either. If anything it's the other way round. I won't shed a tear if we go down put it this way. Anyway I find this all exciting and different to the usual shite and relish the whole thing with an obvious emphasis on us staying up which would be just fucking great as opposed to "meh" when we finish 14th again. It's hard to articulate my feelings on this, but please don't think I'm wanting us to get relegated or that I'm actually happy we are where we are as I'm not.

Guest elbee909

With all the bitterness directed to NUFC from the fans of other clubs in the Premier League - that's fucking it as far as I'm concerned.  There won't be any of this "I hate Sunderland, but I don't mind <whoever>" next season, for me.  From now on they're ALL our fucking enemy.  Each and every team I hope we crush, burn, kill them to bits.  No mercy.  I will laugh at Martin Taylor-esque tackles that come at the expense of our opponents.  "Oh, it's a shame for football with <fancy-dan footballer of choice> injured".  Is it?  Does he play for NUFC?  No?  Then good.  Ha fuckety ha.  I hope your star players contract the fucking plague, and that it gets passed onto the fans, who all crawl back to whichever cunts they crawled out of.  Such as Surrey.  I look forward to the day when we can go from ground to ground and the only chanting we hear is made up of Newcastle songs (bit like Arsenal away, then).

Even though it's mathematically impossible, I hope each and every team apart from ours is relegated next season.  Fuck them all.

When Blackburn scored I was completely devastated, more than I have been at any match in recent memory.  We outplayed them for 89 minutes, then threw the game away right at the end.  I know thing like this are what football's all about, but that doesn't mean we have to enjoy them.  Football is all about highs and lows, but I'd still rather have mediocrity over lows.

Guest Knightrider

Keep your random philosophical musings to yourself, no one wants to read them :razz:

I won't, if it's all the same. These musings help me a great deal as it allows me to look at things in a more positive light which is a state I quite like being in, even if it's misguided, deluded or down right wrong as some of the reactions on here seem to be pointing towards. Look. I'll be damned if the club I love and the game I love is going to make me feel like a miserable bastard about the club and the game and worse stil, miserable in general. I won't allow it. I won't allow a poxy relegation fight which is fuck all in reality make me reach for the razor blade. I won't allow the thought of not being in the Premiership, not playing Man Utd etc. make me feel ill with worry. So fucking what. Who the fuck are Man Utd, what the fuck is the Premiership. The Championship to my mind is a football league still, you get the same for a win, a draw or a loss. Newcastle United will still be NUFC without those things, we won't fucking die if we have to forego them for a spell. I guess what I'm really saying is that this grip the Premier League and being a Premier League club has on us all, our club and indeed the game can go and fuck itself as it isn't important. Newcastle United is and that will always be the case regardless of what league we are in, which team we face or which star name or otherwise plays for us. I was talking to a bloke today who has witnessed relegation here a few times and I asked him what it felt like and he said no different after the initial sadness. He said you'll still love the club the same, maybe even more, your Michael Owens will be swapped for Michael noname and you'll still worship him. Nothing changes he said except those you play against. I thought what a great philosophy because when you read forums and talk to some fans you'd think relegation equals the end of the world today which says a whole lot more about the marketing techniques of the Premier League's rulers. Me. I would look forward to a trip to a real stadium with unspoilt egoless wanker rival fans, footy fans, in a league that is all about football and not prize money or what Sky would have you believe which is what the PL and its clubs have become, self indulgent money driven fuck the football, you don't care, we are bigger and more important than football cunts. 39th game? Taking my club away from me so some fucking Chinese bloke can clap like a seal while being spoon fed by Richard Scudamore, all for money? Get to fuck. I hope we stay up don't get me wrong but it will only be a disaster if you allow others to tell you it is. Otherwise it's just football.

Guest Knightrider
Football is all about highs and lows, but I'd still rather have mediocrity over lows.

That to me is the equivalent of apathy. This is what football has been reduced to.

Keep your random philosophical musings to yourself, no one wants to read them :razz:

I won't, if it's all the same. These musings help me a great deal as it allows me to look at things in a more positive light which is a state I quite like being in, even if it's misguided, deluded or down right wrong as some of the reactions on here seem to be pointing towards. Look. I'll be damned if the club I love and the game I love is going to make me feel like a miserable bastard about the club and the game and worse stil, miserable in general. I won't allow it. I won't allow a poxy relegation fight which is fuck all in reality make me reach for the razor blade. I won't allow the thought of not being in the Premiership, not playing Man Utd etc. make me feel ill with worry. So fucking what. Who the fuck are Man Utd, what the fuck is the Premiership. The Championship to my mind is a football league still, you get the same for a win, a draw or a loss. Newcastle United will still be NUFC without those things, we won't fucking die if we have to forego them for a spell. I guess what I'm really saying is that this grip the Premier League and being a Premier League club has on us all, our club and indeed the game can go and fuck itself as it isn't important. Newcastle United is and that will always be the case regardless of what league we are in, which team we face or which star name or otherwise plays for us. I was talking to a bloke today who has witnessed relegation here a few times and I asked him what it felt like and he said no different after the initial sadness. He said you'll still love the club the same, maybe even more, your Michael Owens will be swapped for Michael noname and you'll still worship him. Nothing changes he said except those you play against. I thought what a great philosophy because when you read forums and talk to some fans you'd think relegation equals the end of the world today which says a whole lot more about the marketing techniques of the Premier League's rulers. Me. I would look forward to a trip to a real stadium with unspoilt egoless wanker rival fans, footy fans, in a league that is all about football and not prize money or what Sky would have you believe which is what the PL and its clubs have become, self indulgent money driven fuck the football, you don't care, we are bigger and more important than football cunts. 39th game? Taking my club away from me so some fucking Chinese bloke can clap like a seal while being spoon fed by Richard Scudamore, all for money? Get to fuck. I hope we stay up don't get me wrong but it will only be a disaster if you allow others to tell you it is. Otherwise it's just football.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9132/righttherefd2.jpg

Guest Knightrider

And paragraphs were invented because?

And forums were invented because?

Quite clearly so you could be the voice of the people.

Or perhaps someone who quite likes to post what's on his mind, which is after all, the whole point of a forum no? Anyway, I hear your training for moderatorship is going well. You'll walk it. If not a role in the police beckons, internet of course.

Guest Darth Toon

Have to say I kind of agree with the original sentiment - was talking about this with a couple of mates the other day, there's been some cracking highs (widely spaced) over the years but for all that few things have matched the sustained excitement of the Keegan promotion campaign, or the sheer arse-twitching tension followed by massive relief of that David Kelly goal against Pompey - that one single moment remains probably the most memorable thing I've ever experienced at a football match.