NE5 versus Mick, Baggio, fredbob, TRon, etc.

bodson

he was paid off it's in the accounts

You don't get paid off if you resign and we were told at the time that he'd resigned, the club website even confirmed that he'd resigned.

he got 1.1m for it. most likely shepherd said we'll give you this amount to resign, or we'll sack you and you can take your chances in court about having your contract paid out.

You resign so it doesn't count as a sacking (for both club and manager) and we'll pay you off without hassle. A sacking to all intents and purposes though.

dunno daglish set us back aswell

He signed some very good players for us.

He should've we were the 2nd best team in the country, one of the richest in the world and in the Champion's League. and those players still took us from that position to mid-table. given time i'm sure he'd have done better but he did a poor job short-term.

The football we played under Dalglish was atrocious. He did make some good signings in Given, Solano, Hamman (for that 1 season) but made some equally bad signings like the jobs for the boys (Rush, Barnes, his son etc), Des Hamilton, Andreas Andersson, Lionel Perez...... falling out with Ginola,selling Ferdinand and replacing them sub standard players. Everyone goes on about him taking us to 2nd place in the CL, but that was with Keegans team. The season after was his team......the one where we performed so miserably, playing largely boring negative football and finishing 13th.

Hardly his fault Ferdinand was sold though.

i'm no apologist for dalglish but to underestimate the effect losing shearer had is to do him a massive disservice - was the best striker in europe at the time and would have affected everything maassively

agreed. The point about Dalglish is that, at the time, he had a winning record better than even Alex Ferguson, he appeared to be a top, top appointment, of the calibre of Fergie, Wenger, Mourhinho etc now.

He had also taken a great team on at Liverpool and improved them, and with flair players too.

Exactly what we wanted here at the time.

Then won the title with another club, a feat few have equalled. Won 3 manager of the year awards, and 4 titles in all.

Saying he was crap or anything like questioning why he got the job, well the reason he got the job is for the reasons above.

These hindsight merchants really make me laugh.

Dalglish was an excellent appointment at the time, which is why I've never slagged Fat Fred for it. You are right in highlighting just why he looked such an attractive option back then. But his limitations became pretty apparent the longer he was away from Anfield. I think the dissent only set in with the consecutive appointments of Souness and Roeder, both terrible decisions from any angle.

I hardly think a manager with all those honours could be termed as "limited" however I'm pleased that you acknowledge that for 7 out of 10 years you were quite happy.

By the way, Roeder also came 7th in the league so make it 8 years out of 10. Hardly the sort of figures you would associate with a shite board.

They say that Greggs pies are especially nice these days. I wonder how many company chairman buy them with company funds, despicable practice. Truly only shit chairman do such things.  :lol:

You know you're the only one who mentions pies these days Leazes? If you dropped that side of your attack I'm sure a lot more people would agree with your posts.

maybe so, but they didn't agree with them at the time. Maybe some people could admit that being a fat bastard doesn't really have any relevance, although its all quite a lot of people said.

Nothing whatsoever has changed in my comments about the old board BTW, but thats because they were based on facts.

The fact that after sacking SBR, Fat Fred wanted to hire thick Steve Bruce, got knocked back, then hired Souness who proceeded to destroy the squad, followed by appointing lame duck Roeder? Are these the facts you are referring to?

dunno daglish set us back aswell

He signed some very good players for us.

He should've we were the 2nd best team in the country, one of the richest in the world and in the Champion's League. and those players still took us from that position to mid-table. given time i'm sure he'd have done better but he did a poor job short-term.

The football we played under Dalglish was atrocious. He did make some good signings in Given, Solano, Hamman (for that 1 season) but made some equally bad signings like the jobs for the boys (Rush, Barnes, his son etc), Des Hamilton, Andreas Andersson, Lionel Perez...... falling out with Ginola,selling Ferdinand and replacing them sub standard players. Everyone goes on about him taking us to 2nd place in the CL, but that was with Keegans team. The season after was his team......the one where we performed so miserably, playing largely boring negative football and finishing 13th.

Hardly his fault Ferdinand was sold though.

i'm no apologist for dalglish but to underestimate the effect losing shearer had is to do him a massive disservice - was the best striker in europe at the time and would have affected everything maassively

agreed. The point about Dalglish is that, at the time, he had a winning record better than even Alex Ferguson, he appeared to be a top, top appointment, of the calibre of Fergie, Wenger, Mourhinho etc now.

He had also taken a great team on at Liverpool and improved them, and with flair players too.

Exactly what we wanted here at the time.

Then won the title with another club, a feat few have equalled. Won 3 manager of the year awards, and 4 titles in all.

Saying he was crap or anything like questioning why he got the job, well the reason he got the job is for the reasons above.

These hindsight merchants really make me laugh.

Dalglish was an excellent appointment at the time, which is why I've never slagged Fat Fred for it. You are right in highlighting just why he looked such an attractive option back then. But his limitations became pretty apparent the longer he was away from Anfield. I think the dissent only set in with the consecutive appointments of Souness and Roeder, both terrible decisions from any angle.

I hardly think a manager with all those honours could be termed as "limited" however I'm pleased that you acknowledge that for 7 out of 10 years you were quite happy.

By the way, Roeder also came 7th in the league so make it 8 years out of 10. Hardly the sort of figures you would associate with a shite board.

They say that Greggs pies are especially nice these days. I wonder how many company chairman buy them with company funds, despicable practice. Truly only shit chairman do such things.  :lol:

You know you're the only one who mentions pies these days Leazes? If you dropped that side of your attack I'm sure a lot more people would agree with your posts.

maybe so, but they didn't agree with them at the time. Maybe some people could admit that being a fat bastard doesn't really have any relevance, although its all quite a lot of people said.

Nothing whatsoever has changed in my comments about the old board BTW, but thats because they were based on facts.

The fact that after sacking SBR, Fat Fred wanted to hire thick Steve Bruce, got knocked back, then hired Souness who proceeded to destroy the squad, followed by appointing lame duck Roeder? Are these the facts you are referring to?

laughable that you think the fat bastard is the only chairman who ever existed that didn't appoint the winning manager every time.

Qualifying for europe more than everybody bar 4 suggests and in fact indicates that he and Hall Jnr must have actually done something right but I won't hold my breath and expect you to understand this fairly basic and realistic concept.

By the way, Steve Bruce has never been offered the job at Newcastle, I've said this before.

I'm also quite pleased for you that even the struggling team at the moment, ie their replacements running the club, still doesn't make you understand .......

laughable that you think the fat b****** is the only chairman who ever existed that didn't appoint the winning manager every time.

mackems.gif

best I heard for years.

Then how can you the complain at Ashley?... :idiot2:

laughable that you think the fat b****** is the only chairman who ever existed that didn't appoint the winning manager every time.

mackems.gif

best I heard for years.

laughable that you don't understand the meaning of the word complacency, nor the value of backing managers, I'm also pleased for you that you think staring relegation in the face and as soon as the fat bastard and his mate have left the club, heading back to where they found us, is an improvement.

mackems.gif

best I heard for years.

laughable that you don't understand the meaning of the word complacency, nor the value of backing managers, I'm also pleased for you that you think staring relegation in the face and as soon as the fat bastard and his mate have left the club, heading back to where they found us, is an improvement.

It's all spin with you, you can take one particular set of facts and twist it in a positive or negative manner depending on whoever is being talked about.

mackems.gif

best I heard for years.

It's all spin with you, you can take one particular set of facts and twist it in a positive or negative manner depending on whoever is being talked about.

"spin" ? It was never me who said that qualifying for europe and playing in the Champions League meant the club was run by incompetent fools, or whatever of the dozens of phrases that were used.

mackems.gif

best I heard for years.

"spin" ? It was never me who said that qualifying for europe and playing in the Champions League meant the club was run by incompetent fools, or whatever of the dozens of phrases that were used.

You accuse Ashley of being complacent and not backing the manager during one period of his ownership, yet when someone points out Shepherd was similarly complacent and did not back the manager by only signing Bowyer during the most critical period of his reign, i.e. the summer after our 3rd place, you revert to a defensive stance.

That is spin.

mackems.gif

best I heard for years.

You accuse Ashley of being complacent and not backing the manager during one period of his ownership, yet when someone points out Shepherd was similarly complacent and did not back the manager by only signing Bowyer during the most critical period of his reign, i.e. the summer after our 3rd place, you revert to a defensive stance.

That is spin.

haha......look at the money the club spent to qualify for the Champions League, and the 9m spent in the January preceding that summer through "good planning" to buy a player before others later on at a higher price.

Fact is that the board had proved their ambition for the club many times over. They had nothing more to prove in that department.

What is in fact hypocrisy of the highest degree, is people like you complaining that they spent money "they didn't have" then complaining that they should have done precisely the same thing that summer.  mackems.gif

You're Taylor27 aren't you ?

haha......look at the money the club spent to qualify for the Champions League, and the 9m spent in the January preceding that summer through "good planning" to buy a player before others later on at a higher price.

Fact is that the board had proved their ambition for the club many times over. They had nothing more to prove in that department.

What is in fact hypocrisy of the highest degree, is people like you complaining that they spent money "they didn't have" then complaining that they should have done precisely the same thing that summer.  mackems.gif

At least he doesn't try to hide it, he just changed to use his actual name.

You're NE5, Beermonster, Leazesmag, Steve and a bore.

At least he doesn't try to hide it, he just changed to use his actual name.

You're NE5, Beermonster, Leazesmag, Steve and a bore.

I'm not beermonster.

But I'm right, because I produce facts.

:idiot2:

I asked because I was curious, but I'm sure he can answer himself, or are you feeling the need to drum up support because you know you simply can't produce any facts to show the chairman you despise for calling you nasty names, actually did a fairly good job of running the club, being that only 4 clubs qualified for europe more than us during this time, and now that they have gone we could end up back to where they picked us up.

Hardly rocket science, or it shouldn't be anyway.

You can answer the rest of the post now that you didn't comment on, but as usual I suspect you won't, because you'd have to admit that it is absolutely correct.

Souness was a shite appointment and 99% of this board said so at the time.  An overwhelming majority saw the trouble coming.  Souness set us back, there is no question about it.

No amount previous managers qualifying for europe changes that fact.

No amount of current chairmen backing/not backing the manager changes that fact.

No amount of pre-1992 boards changes that fact.

No amount of previous chairmen backing/not backing the manager changes that fact.

Freddy got the Souness appointment all wrong NE5.  You're well and truly terminally deluded if you think that wasn't the case.

Souness was a shite appointment and 99% of this board said so at the time.  An overwhelming majority saw the trouble coming.  Souness set us back, there is no question about it.

No amount of current chairmen backing/not backing the manager changes that fact.

No amount of previous chairmen backing/not backing the manager changes that fact.

Freddy got the Souness appointment all wrong NE5.  You're well and truly terminally deluded if you think that wasn't the case.

A sizeable amount of people on this board backed Souness to transform himself into the new Alex Ferguson for getting rid of the "cancer", but not me.

If you STILL don't understand the significane of backing managers, in spite of our current predicament which started by the bringing to the club of cheap johnny averages last summer, the error of which was not seen by the time January came around, then its your problem.

A sizeable amount of people on this board backed Souness to transform himself into the new Alex Ferguson for getting rid of the "cancer", but not me.

While I may take issue with the statistical accuracy of those who "backed" him I applaud you on your managerial judgment. Truly, well done! It appears we agree that he was a terrible appointment and Shepherd got it wrong.

If you STILL don't understand the significane of backing managers, in spite of our current predicament which started by the bringing to the club of cheap johnny averages last summer, the error of which was not seen by the time January came around, then its your problem.

A sizeable amount of people wanted him to do well because they would have benefited from that, it doesn't mean they wanted him and they certainly didn't appoint him or give him £50 million to spend.

I wanted him to do well, even though I didn't think he would.

Somebody posted on another forum about how good he was then claimed the post had been edited.  :lol:

Souness wasn't just a shite appointment, Shepherd almost preceded this by another kingsize clanger, by approaching Steve Bruce. Not only one of the most witless managers in football but targeted for totally the wrong reason, i.e, because he was a geordie. All be it, one who is diluted with Manc leanings. We'd have been better off setting our sights on Biffa Bacon. Whey aye man!  :laugh2:

A sizeable amount of people wanted him to do well because they would have benefited from that, it doesn't mean they wanted him and they certainly didn't appoint him or give him £50 million to spend.

I wanted him to do well, even though I didn't think he would.

Somebody posted on another forum about how good he was then claimed the post had been edited.   :lol:

bluelaugh.gif

somebody has posted that the board who almost relegated us to the 3rd division and sold all our best players for 30 years was "just the same as" the one who picked it up and left us several european qualifications, numeous top drawer players, and capacity crowds later.

bluelaugh.gif

Souness wasn't just a shite appointment, Shepherd almost preceded this by another kingsize clanger, by approaching Steve Bruce. Not only one of the most witless managers in football but targeted for totally the wrong reason, i.e, because he was a geordie. All be it, one who is diluted with Manc leanings. We'd have been better off setting our sights on Biffa Bacon. Whey aye man!  :laugh2:

What will be your opinion if Wigan finish above us this season ?

That Dave Whelan knows what he's doing ?

mackems.gif

Yes you did, you thought he was a top boss and better than Keegan. mackems.gif

It was only when the post was dug up a few years later you started crying saying people had edited your post, it took you 8 hours to think up that excuse too iirc after saying "There is nothing wrong in wanting someone to succeed". mackems.gif

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?showtopic=12503&st=0

It was only when the post was dug up a few years later you started crying saying people had edited your post, it took you 8 hours to think up that excuse too iirc after saying "There is nothing wrong in wanting someone to succeed". mackems.gif

dear little Matthew with his party piece. Shame you don't n=link to the post where you threatened to stalk my daughter on bebo which certainly hasn't been edited, never mind this too is a classic [unedited too as you can see]

http://z3.invisionfree.com/NUFCforum/index.php?showtopic=2499

mackems.gif

dear little Matthew with his party piece. Shame you don't n=link to the post where you threatened to stalk my daughter on bebo which certainly hasn't been edited, never mind this too is a classic [unedited too as you can see]

mackems.gif

It's the account you made up to have something in your signature about me, you then deleted the account when I signed up. mackems.gif

And you wonder why nobody will sign up to your forum, there's Wacky Jr, Pilchard Chops, an Irish lad named Wizard and then you behind the NE5/LeazesMag/WestendLad/StonecoldStevie accounts.

Talk about Schizo. mackems.gif

It's the account you made up to have something in your signature about me, you then deleted the account when I signed up. mackems.gif

And you wonder why nobody will sign up to your forum, there's Wacky Jr, Pilchard Chops, an Irish lad named Wizard and then you behind the NE5/LeazesMag/WestendLad/StonecoldStevie accounts.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=50924.msg1243921#msg1243921

mackems.gif

sorry Matthew, I know nothing about it. I'd hardly link it if I did.

You make things up all the time, I've no idea who stone cold stevie is either. Maybe its you talking sense for a change  bluelaugh.gif