The official I Love NUFC thread

Guest Knightrider

Some of my best memories came via radio. As a kid I always looked forward to talking about the football with mates following a weekend win as was the norm for us back then. MOTD was also much better then and it was required watching.

some ?   

come on grass..the vast majority.

Guest alijmitchell

Proudest day for me following NUFC was also my saddest. The day i went to wembley and as fans we OWNED the place in the semi-final against Chelsea. The absolute elation i felt when Rob Lee headed that goal in has yet to be matched. We outclassed them and outsang them but didn't win. The journey home was depressing to the extreme, but i tell you what, i've never felt so proud to be a geordie than i was that day.

Others than come close was being in the away end at the SOS when dabizas scored to beat the mackems 1-0, feyenoord, 5-0, Bobby's first home game (8-0), listening to us beat arsenal 3-1 on metro fucking radio, 2-2 at the san siro, the day we signed shearer. All of them brilliant memories that brighten up my days.

not being able to watch the game against fayenoord cos my sky wasnt working, ended up walking across a few bundles of news post leaders which i was delivering at the time cos i thought it would give us luck, strange but true

Proudest day for me following NUFC was also my saddest. The day i went to wembley and as fans we OWNED the place in the semi-final against Chelsea. The absolute elation i felt when Rob Lee headed that goal in has yet to be matched. We outclassed them and outsang them but didn't win. The journey home was depressing to the extreme, but i tell you what, i've never felt so proud to be a geordie than i was that day.

Others than come close was being in the away end at the SOS when dabizas scored to beat the mackems 1-0, feyenoord, 5-0, Bobby's first home game (8-0), listening to us beat arsenal 3-1 on metro f****** radio, 2-2 at the san siro, the day we signed shearer. All of them brilliant memories that brighten up my days.

That semi-final was a great day out until the game was over, I was in London from 5am and didn't see a Chelsea fan until I was almost as Wembley.

Guest Knightrider

This is why we love our club people and why we should never ever get too down and despondent when the bad times are around. I wouldn't swap any of those cherished memories for guaranteed safety to be honest, they are too dear to me. Memories that stick out. Amazingly it's the little obscure things that stick out more than some of the footy stuff and that's not because some of the footy stuff was shite, I mean we were challenging for the league but a game behind SJP for some reason just stands out or comes to mind more vividly. I reckon we've been desensitized over the years you know and these memories we have, especially you older lads, that's what it's about you know. Some of the tales a few lads tell me about in truly dire seasons make me wish I was around in those days, to experience them. Anyway....

How about some memories of standing older lot? Anyone here used to get carried over head to the front? Anyone here sneaked in? Howay, share.

ali j

yes,the day we signed shearer. 3000 mile away and find out before my mates back home and EVERYONE talking about it. the world service 15min sports bulletin taken up with one subject for a whole day.

Man I love this club, theres no feeling that can replicate how I feel when we do well. There is nothing that can stir as much emotion in me in the space of seconds as this club can. The pain is intense all too often but the elation I've felt over the years is mind-blowing, orgasmic, powerful beyond anything else.

I can think of only 2 other things that I've had the pleasure of experiencing from time to time that can leave me grinning all day long that aren't football, and those 2 things come along a lot lot less. Guaranteed day-long smile and a guaranteed happy day every single time we win a game.

Guest Knightrider

Some of my best memories came via radio. As a kid I always looked forward to talking about the football with mates following a weekend win as was the norm for us back then. MOTD was also much better then and it was required watching.

some ?   

In the earlier days it was a good majority. Makes it even more special. You weren't always there so you had to paint your own picture going off the radio commentary. I'd relish MOTD to see the goals, to see if they were anything like I pictured them to be. Half in half like. MOTD today? What's on the other channel. Again, desensitised to it all now to a degree.

Guest Knightrider

When we win, especially if it's a win that wasn't expected, it just makes you go all day long in your heard "fucking hell, can't believe we did it, woo hoo" You keep doing little yeses to yourself, or whistling Toon chants, and clenching your fists going "get in", I do anyway :D I was like that when we beat Man Utd 4-3 under Sir Bobby and Arsenal 3-1 at Highbury when we went top. Lasted for days that feeling.

i remember being at first school and one of the helpers telling me that keegan had left, she was a mackem like, i couldn't believe it, also remember listen to the radio when shearer signed and me and my granda being in the car and the sheer excitement he was showing, i was only 7 at the time so i didn't really understand it all but i could tell from him that something special was happening

some ?   

In the earlier days it was a good majority. Makes it even more special. You weren't always there so you had to paint your own picture going off the radio commentary. I'd relish MOTD to see the goals, to see if they were anything like I pictured them to be. Half in half like. MOTD today? What's on the other channel. Again, desensitised to it all now to a degree.

I listened to the play-off against the mackems on the radio at a mackems house with his mackem family.

:doh:

some ?   

I listened to the play-off against the mackems on the radio at a mackems house with his mackem family.

hope it was the away one.

some ?   

hope it was the away one.

:-[

*removed link to the home leg highlights on youtoob*

:weep:

Guest Jungle Barry

Cracking thread this mind.

Two favourite away games spring to mind, two oases in a desert of mediocrity if you like (well, relatively speaking)

1. West Brom 0 Newcastle 3

Down the front and Owen and Shearer right in front of me following their goals, I was whinging that the view was sh*t all through the first half as well  :laugh:

2. Blackburn 0 Newcastle 3

Just a great day out from start to finish, First goals we'd scored all season (i think) Owens first ever, brilliant result and performance, well, for the last half hour at least anyway. A good drink on the way back and fish n chips at kirby stephen to round the day off

Brilliant

When we win, especially if it's a win that wasn't expected, it just makes you go all day long in your heard "fucking hell, can't believe we did it, woo hoo" You keep doing little yeses to yourself, or whistling Toon chants, and clenching your fists going "get in", I do anyway :D I was like that when we beat Man Utd 4-3 under Sir Bobby and Arsenal 3-1 at Highbury when we went top. Lasted for days that feeling.

Could not agree more.

Like I said, I'm a fucking grinning machine when we win. I'm a pretty calm person on the whole but when we win I'll just be randomly saying "get in" and "come on" and the like for hours on end, hitting the wall and stuff...

It's unbearable how long its been since I've felt the above. And I feel like that, and more, after every win no matter how important the game. The really important games that do well in just intensifies my pleasure and the lengths I go to display my pleasure. I'm smiling just typing this.

Guest alijmitchell

Others than come close was being in the away end at the SOS when dabizas scored to beat the mackems 1-0, feyenoord, 5-0, Bobby's first home game (8-0), listening to us beat arsenal 3-1 on metro f****** radio, 2-2 at the san siro, the day we signed shearer. All of them brilliant memories that brighten up my days.

That semi-final was a great day out until the game was over, I was in London from 5am and didn't see a Chelsea fan until I was almost as Wembley.

Totally, I was 13 at the time and it was my first away game and I went with a mate and me sister. I remember being offered the tickets and literally jumping with joy around my living room at the thought of seeing my team at wembley. We got the coach down and arrived about 1 i think, and I remember walking down wembley way and it was a sea of black and white, didn't see any chelsea fans until like half an hour before the game, and every time one came past they had to climb over us all as we were signing 'sit down if you love the toon'. There were people dressed as black and white jesters, people who were absolutely pissed, people who were just high on the atmosphere, i know i was. The deafening roar of our end and the beauty of seeing wembley covered in stripes and the feeling of hope so strong you could smell it was just beautiful. For my first away game i really understood what being a fan of NUFC was all about that day, pride, dejection, laughing at ourselves, noise, drinking and togetherness. A truly amazing day.

Great thread btw. A sin if this isn't HOF

Guest Knightrider

KK's return was a whole mixed bag of emotions. I could barely sleep that night doing my "fuck me, he's back, ged in, woo hoo" mantras. The atmosphere in Toon leading up to the Stoke match was cracking and the reaction the following day too. Only KK could do that.