How to cover up a s*** midfield

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

How can we hide our central midfield?

One obvious way is to put significant focus on not turning the ball over in our own half.

Another would be to insert the forward that is best at holding the ball (Viduka in our case, I'd say).

Any other suggestions from the collective wisdom of N-O?

This might serve as a resource for our coaching staff who haven't shown that they have any brains in this regard...   :doh:

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

one comment and it already seems that we've outdone our own coaching staff on rumination on this topic!

We need to stop starting Joey Barton every time he's available.

No touch, can't pass, head down, just the epitomy of a poor player. £5.8m that could have gone to Sport Relief, Mike.

No touch, can't pass, head down, just the epitomy of a poor player. £5.8m that could have gone to Sport Relief, Mike.

And play who instead?

A midfield 4 of Geremi RM, Butt CM, N'Zogbia CM and Duff LM.

Barton on the bench, or in the stands. :thup:

Play Viduka as a deep-lying forward, in a diamond formation, with Zoggy on the left, Beye on the right, Cacapa behind him in a defensive midfield role - with Martins and Owen up front and a back four of Edgar, Taylor, Geremi and Enrique.

EDIT: And I suppose, Harper in goal. Not that having a goalie makes any difference. ;)

And play who instead?

A midfield 4 of Geremi RM, Butt CM, N'Zogbia CM and Duff LM.

Barton on the bench, or in the stands. :thup:

That works until the point where Butt is still in the team. Probably our worst player IMO.

Actually, I continued reading and saw you put N'Zogbia in the middle too. I'm struggling to think of a worse central midfield pairing.

Butt's been a bigger liability than Barton of late. Both give the ball away like it's got a fuse attached but at least Barton can occasionally do something with it. Still a case of Morton's Fork like.

Getting the balance of the midfield right will be one of Keegan's toughest challenges come the Summer.

Hopefully he'll go for players who can pass the ball and who look comfortable in possession.

Getting the balance of the midfield right will be one of Keegan's toughest challenges come the Summer.

Hopefully he'll go for players who can pass the ball and who look comfortable in possession.

Assuming he's still here, and we're still in the Premiership.

Assuming he's still here, and we're still in the Premiership.

Obviously...

Play Viduka as a deep-lying forward, in a diamond formation, with Zoggy on the left, Beye on the right, Cacapa behind him in a defensive midfield role - with Martins and Owen up front and a back four of Edgar, Taylor, Geremi and Enrique.

EDIT: And I suppose, Harper in goal. Not that having a goalie makes any difference. ;)

So what did people think of the above GENUINE attempt to present a serious solution?

Guest Knightrider

Now is not the time for formational experiments. That's what got us into this mess in the first place. We literally have to stick to the basics which is still even a struggle for some of them.

So what did people think of the above GENUINE attempt to present a serious solution?

No Faye?

Also, wouldn't it be better having Beye at the back and Geremi in midfield?

You're quite clearly taking the piss David.

You're still angry with me about that other comment I made elsewhere aren't you.

No Faye?

Also, wouldn't it be better having Beye at the back and Geremi in midfield?

Aye, come to think of it, playing Geremi at RB would be disastrous. As was proved at home to Liverpool.

You're still angry with me about that other comment I made elsewhere aren't you.

I have no idea what you're going on about.