Jermaine Defoe

Guest BooBoo

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I still don't rate him even if he has scored a few for Portsmouth.

Only because he's English though ;)

damn right he's horrible for england but in the prem he earns a paycheck over the course of a season, that's for damn sure

Guest Spurs_from_Africa

It depends what you want tbh. Defoe will get you goals no doubt. Even as our third striker last season, he got well into double figures. The problem is that outside of goals, he adds literally nothing to the team's play. He needs a lot of service as well. Plus, he doesn't seem to understand the offside rule.  :lol:

It depends what you want tbh. Defoe will get you goals no doubt. Even as our third striker last season, he got well into double figures. The problem is that outside of goals, he adds literally nothing to the team's play. He needs a lot of service as well. Plus, he doesn't seem to understand the offside rule.  :lol:

well said. a few months back plenty on here wouldve swapped martins for defoe as they thought defoe addressed some of Martins' flaws (movement, touch, decision making, link up play, composure) when in fact he's worse than martins at those things. they're different players which is why i'd more compare defoe to owen. defoe can be an erratic finisher but he at least gets power behind his shots and is physically in far better shape then owen. i think he could've done a short-term job for us on loan so in that sense it is a pity we didnt attempt to get him in.

but longer-term for next season he miles away from the sort of striker we should be looking at, ie a berbatov-esque number 10 to play along Martins or Owen who is fairly strong, decent in the air, skilful with good movement.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pleased that it's going well for him at Pompey. He will always score goals during the course of a season but contributes practically nothing in the spells when he isn't scoring.  I've no regrets that he moved on and I think Redknapp will get more out of him than anyone else.  Doing well at Pompey doesn't mean he would have been doing similarly well elsewhere.