Keegan, sentiment, reality.

brummie

Guest Knightrider

It's a myth that we spent more than anyone under KK, we actually spent less than Man Utd, Liverpool, Blackburn and Arsenal IIRC and the year we went up, Wolves and Derby spent more than we did. We spent money of course but a good number of our signings were big money investments (Sir Less, Tino, Shearer) which made us seem like money bags when in reality we spent what we could, like all our rivals at the time. In total I think KK spent £38m net which is less than what Roy Keane has spent at sunderland and for that money he saved us from relegation, took us up, and finished in the top 6 in every one of his seasons here in the Premier League, runners up twice and European football qualification. Oh and the football we played...

It's a myth that we spent more than anyone under KK, we actually spent less than Man Utd, Liverpool, Blackburn and Arsenal IIRC and the year we went up, Wolves and Derby spent more than we did. We spent money of course but a good number of our signings were big money investments (Sir Less, Tino, Shearer) which made us seem like money bags when in reality we spent what we could, like all our rivals at the time. In total I think KK spent £38m net which is less than what Roy Keane has spent at sunderland and for that money he saved us from relegation, took us up, and finished in the top 6 in every one of his seasons here in the Premier League, runners up twice and European football qualification. Oh and the football we played...

Different eras and totally incomparable in terms of finance.

I agree in principle though. The team that came up and finished third was largely the same team that got us promoted, only really Pedro was added iirc. The real money came later.

I agree in principle though. The team that came up and finished third was largely the same team that got us promoted, only really Pedro was added iirc. The real money came later.

and even andy cole only joined when promotion looked pretty certain. bracewll,beresford and venison were the only new faces to start the promotion season from the one that nearly went down. rob lee joined about 6 weeks into the season and sellars and robinson well into new year. (off the top of my head so if i'lm wrong no doubt someone will tell)

Guest fraser

When I heard that we'd appointed him, driving up to the Stoke replay, it felt very much like waking up with an ex-wife (I imagine); what a mistake, that was then, this is now...

However, what I understand about Keegan is that he's sentimental about the club but a realist about how he runs it; he's never failed to get rid when he felt it was for the good of the club. In many ways I think that he's better equipped now to run the team; he now understands, for instance, the importance of infrastructure that is separate from his management team.

As many have said I have no doubt that he'll leave the club in a better position than he found it, as with every club he has managed. Ironically, he'll probably leave it as a more attractive proposition for managers of note to take on.

Now, I'm glad he's back, no question.

Guest float one in

and even andy cole only joined when promotion looked pretty certain. bracewll,beresford and venison were the only new faces to start the promotion season from the one that nearly went down. rob lee joined about 6 weeks into the season and sellars and robinson well into new year. (off the top of my head so if i'lm wrong no doubt someone will tell)

aye thats how i remember it as well. I think I was at Robinsons debut, or one of his first matches, and I remember me and my uncle talking about how good he looked. anyone remember why it didn't work out for him? just not happy being cover for Venison? can't have been much longer than a season before he was off to barnsely iirc.

aye thats how i remember it as well. I think I was at Robinsons debut, or one of his first matches, and I remember me and my uncle talking about how good he looked. anyone remember why it didn't work out for him? just not happy being cover for Venison? can't have been much longer than a season before he was off to barnsely iirc.

fairly sure robinson and sellars both made their debuts home to barnsley (6-0,cole 4,kelly,sellars) sellars went on to become a vital fisrt teamer,robinson looked like he might progress at that level but i doubt he'd have made it at prem level. vroke his leg in a pre season friendly at hartlepool and drifted out of the squad altogether.

edit. sellars and robinson signed in the march. the barnsley game was in april (wasn't their debuts) scorers cole 3, clarke,beresford,sellars

Guest BooBoo

fairly sure robinson and sellars both made their debuts home to barnsley (6-0,cole 4,kelly,sellars) sellars went on to become a vital fisrt teamer,robinson looked like he might progress at that level but i doubt he'd have made it at prem level. vroke his leg in a pre season friendly at hartlepool and drifted out of the squad altogether.

edit. sellars and robinson signed in the march. the barnsley game was in april (wasn't their debuts) scorers cole 3, clarke,beresford,sellars

Pretty sure both Sellars and Robinson debuted in a midweek 2-2 game.

I'm pretty sure he had a very nasty leg break????

Got wiped out in a pre-season game at Hartlepool. Really nasty tackle and he got moved on soon after iirc.

I believe he went back to Swindon IIRC.

That sounds about right billy. :nods:

Pretty sure both Sellars and Robinson debuted in a midweek 2-2 game.

aye..charlton (thanks toonstats....best nufc resource on the interweb)

If we hadn't brought KK back & our results had been the same as KK's (remember the squad we have & the fixtures) where would we be? We'd have a manager under enormous pressure & fans calling for head; or in the case of Shearer, a rookie manager seemingly out of his depth & under enormous self pressure.

Whereas what we have is a manager under pressure, but crucially still with the vast support of the crowd & hopefully the players.

Yes, a different manager may have brought better results, but given the proximity to the end of the transfer window & the run of fixtures, I doubt they'd have been much better. Look at the results just befoe BS left & you can see where we were heading.

I still believe we got the only man for the job & if we beat the drop by the last kick of the season I'll be happy (but mentally drained).