Keegan will have £100M to spend

thedudeabides

What happened to the story from the Keegan phone-in that said Beardsley was working at Middlesbrough?

I can't imagine Mike Ashley walking up to Beardsley and saying "Peter, I can't keep this to myself any longer and I most confide in someone. I'm going to give Kevin £100m to spend in the Summer."

Aye that's what I was thinking.

I'm sure Ashley told Keegan how much he had to spend when he took the job, I think it's also believable that Keegan would have told some of his coaching staff what was going on and how much he has available, the likes of Terry Mac are still close to Beardsley so it's not as if he isn't well connected within the club, that's without mentioning him having a private box at the ground and him doing publicity work for the club.

I don't doubt that there will be plenty of Mike Ashley's money for transfers (maybe even the £100m mentioned) but why would he tell anyone, including Keegan, the exact figure? From what Keegan has said of his meeting with Mike he was left in no doubt that plenty of funds would be available.

Regarding what Beardsley says, he also said at one of these fan events that Steve Sidwell was definitely joining us last season and that didn't happen. I'm sure he thought it was true when he told people but it didn't end up happening.

I thought it was common knowledge that Sidwell had agreed to join us when Roeder was here.

As for Ashley and how much we have to spend, surely Keegan would want a rough figure to know what he's got to work with?

Yes but wasn't Sidwell supposed to have signed something? I don't think they would have put in the contract that he'll only come to Newcastle if Roeder is manager. Anyway, the point was he didn't join us so everything Beardsley says isn't always 100% correct.

Keegan may have said to Ashley "How much money will I have for transfers?" and Ashley may have said "Don't worry about that, you give us a list of who you want and we'll see what we can do."

just a rumour so far, wisest and most sensible thing to do at this juncture would be to engage in wild and unfounded speculation about who we might sign:

Messi £45m

Drogba £20m

Naldo £7m

Carrick £15m

Elano £13m

The way they say it Ashley was sitting in front of his online banking transferring the money from his current account.

So what you're saying is that we didn't buy anybody because Ashley forgot his account password.    mackems.gif

Nah, "for your own security" Barclays only let you transfer £500 a day, so we couldn't buy anyone.

Nah, "for your own security" Barclays only let you transfer £500 a day, so we couldn't buy anyone.

At that rate Keegan should have about £4 million by now, he might get to £8 million before the end of the next window.

What happened to the story from the Keegan phone-in that said Beardsley was working at Middlesbrough?

I can't imagine Mike Ashley walking up to Beardsley and saying "Peter, I can't keep this to myself any longer and I most confide in someone. I'm going to give Kevin £100m to spend in the Summer."

I'm sure Ashley told Keegan how much he had to spend when he took the job, I think it's also believable that Keegan would have told some of his coaching staff what was going on and how much he has available, the likes of Terry Mac are still close to Beardsley so it's not as if he isn't well connected within the club, that's without mentioning him having a private box at the ground and him doing publicity work for the club.

I don't doubt that there will be plenty of Mike Ashley's money for transfers (maybe even the £100m mentioned) but why would he tell anyone, including Keegan, the exact figure? From what Keegan has said of his meeting with Mike he was left in no doubt that plenty of funds would be available.

Regarding what Beardsley says, he also said at one of these fan events that Steve Sidwell was definitely joining us last season and that didn't happen. I'm sure he thought it was true when he told people but it didn't end up happening.

I thought it was common knowledge that Sidwell had agreed to join us when Roeder was here.

As for Ashley and how much we have to spend, surely Keegan would want a rough figure to know what he's got to work with?

Yes but wasn't Sidwell supposed to have signed something? I don't think they would have put in the contract that he'll only come to Newcastle if Roeder is manager. Anyway, the point was he didn't join us so everything Beardsley says isn't always 100% correct.

Keegan may have said to Ashley "How much money will I have for transfers?" and Ashley may have said "Don't worry about that, you give us a list of who you want and we'll see what we can do."

Sidwell didn't sign anything because you can't sign a pre contract to move from one Premiership club to another, he agreed verbally to sign for us when his contract was out and even came up twice for talks at the training ground while still a Reading player, If Sidwell told Roeder he'd join then you can't blame him for not sticking to that agreement once he'd been sacked.

To suggest Beardsley is unreliable because of that is just picking at things, as is claiming Ashley didn't tell Keegan how much he had to spend just because you don't believe it.

Sidwell didn't sign anything because you can't sign a pre contract to move from one Premiership club to another, he agreed verbally to sign for us when his contract was out and even came up twice for talks at the training ground while still a Reading player, If Sidwell told Roeder he'd join then you can't blame him for not sticking to that agreement once he'd been sacked.

To suggest Beardsley is unreliable because of that is just picking at things, as is claiming Ashley didn't tell Keegan how much he had to spend just because you don't believe it.

I'm not going to have an argument over: -

1. A player who said he would sign for us but didn't.

2. If Mike Ashley told Keegan an exact figure he would give him to spend.

I'm not going to have an argument over: -

1. A player who said he would sign for us but didn't.

2. If Mike Ashley told Keegan an exact figure he would give him to spend.

Yes you are.

Guest fraser

Funnily enough he was in The Black Bull before the match and said the same to me.

(the bit about The Black Bull is true, the rest is bollocks).

Would of been interesting to know the amount of cash he'd of handed over to Allardyce had he not have to pay off all that debt. Seems a bit strange though that he paid off that extra £30m rather than plunge it into the transfer kitty having paid the compulsory £60m, Were our finances really that bad??

Would of been interesting to know the amount of cash he'd of handed over to Allardyce had he not have to pay off all that debt. Seems a bit strange though that he paid off that extra £30m rather than plunge it into the transfer kitty having paid the compulsory £60m, Were our finances really that bad??

Think you answered your own question.

Why would Shepherd want to stay with a sinking ship and even acquire the club outright if things were so bad?? Ive heard pretty convincing arguments on this board about the debt at the club being 'manageable' , if so why did Ashley feel the need to plunge that extra £30m?? And make Allardyce operate on a effectively a buy to sell policy.

Why would Shepherd want to stay with a sinking ship and even acquire the club outright if things were so bad?? Ive heard pretty convincing arguments on this board about the debt at the club being 'manageable' , if so why did Ashley feel the need to plunge that extra £30m?? And make Allardyce operate on a effectively a buy to sell policy.

Ashley must be a bad businessman O0

Or he didnt understand the financial structure of a football business and thought it was imperative to clear the debt of the club rahter than put the funding on the field where it in needed the most.

Guest Jungle Barry

First time round did KK actually buy a bad player?

Jason Drysdale? Didn't see much of him

Steve Guppy? Did well elsewhere

Mike Jeffrey? Bagged against citeh in the league cup and got us through (no indication of quality particularly but it's better than nowt)

It seems if people say we had a buy to sell policy enough then some people will obviously believe it.

Or he didnt understand the financial structure of a football business and thought it was imperative to clear the debt of the club rahter than put the funding on the field where it in needed the most.

More nonsense