Kev: Signings may not be stars

Baggio

[

why do you think I'm bothered about the opinion of a handful of Blackburn fans ?

I've been to Blackburn twice in the 80's and there was more NUFC fans than they were.

They boo their ex player who won the title for them almost single handed, idiots that they are.

Without Jack Walkers money they would be nothing, because they are a small club, albeit with a good manager at the moment who will move on when the right offer comes

I thought we had s*** crowds?

Well, we didn't fill a smaller ground, through not qualifying for europe and selling our best players, if thats what you mean.

Still bigger than a s*** little club like Blackburn though. I hope by your comments in this thread, you aren't advocating going back to the days when we didn't attempt to utliise the fanbase after all the years of building it up to higher levels.

Never mind.

Do you at least acknowledge that we are no longer the only club with real potential now? Aside from passion of the fans (call it volatile if you want) we have nothing different to offer that our main rivals cant offer as well? This has only really occured this past year as well so it wrong to assume we should be able to hand pick players from "smaller clubs" becase of our potential.

I don't understand your point. There is more money in the top league through sky TV, spin offs, advertising, merchandise. Just because clubs such as Blackburn have more money doesn't mean they can match us, when we have it too.

We are still bigger than most clubs in terms of fanbase providing we strive to utilise it and act like a big club ought to act. If anything, the merchandising should widen this gap, not shorten it.

There isn't a footballer anywhere who would not recognise that Newcastle is a real football city, with a football mad public, a huge fanbase and bigger than most others, come the day we actually make something happen.

The point is we haven't been utilising our fan base.

The extra income from the stadium expansion should have been our advantage over the likes of Blackburn, the problem was the clubs expenditure went up too so the fanbase wasn't really much benefit at all, what we had coming in was going out just as fast so the money hasn't been there to boss the likes of Blackburn around in the transfer market, unless we can find extra funds from somewhere (Mike Ashley hopefully)

Given the choice, any ambitious player would want to play for Newcastle over Blackburn next season, providing we survive in the Premiership. Just playing in front of a full St James' compared to a half empty Ewood Park should be enough to get a player like Bentley interested, only problem being that other, currently more successful clubs, could be interested in him too.

Not sure if he will risk any foreigners, I don't watch too much of it personally, don't have the time, but I think this summer, he has to make the money he gets, count, and they carry a greater risk.

I think we will do a lot of business outside the UK our scouting setup looks like it is geared towards atm. I would like to see Keegan get out watching lower league football because he has a good eye for a player.

"Very few of the players we’re looking at at the moment with regards to the future won’t be being looked at by other clubs as well."

That either suggests he's talking about young lads or players who are not that well known and are not playing in the more well known leagues.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Beye and Enrique are good fullbacks who will be better in their 2nd season and in Geremi and Zog we have decent cover, so i think centre halfs are an absolute priority. I do not agree with the general concensus about Taylor being the next big thing. I think he is erratic, with no great physical attributes. Faye is a very useful squad player who can play CH or CM but not 1st choice. An example of the type of pairing i would like to see is a Distin Laursen pairing. Those types of players are attainable and would offer a great base.

But for me the 2 things we desperately need are pace and creativity in midfield. Bentley (creativity) and Raúl Meireles (Porto pacy CM) would do wonders to our ability to put the opposition on the back foot.

[

why do you think I'm bothered about the opinion of a handful of Blackburn fans ?

I've been to Blackburn twice in the 80's and there was more NUFC fans than they were.

They boo their ex player who won the title for them almost single handed, idiots that they are.

Without Jack Walkers money they would be nothing, because they are a small club, albeit with a good manager at the moment who will move on when the right offer comes

I thought we had s*** crowds?

Well, we didn't fill a smaller ground, through not qualifying for europe and selling our best players, if thats what you mean.

Still bigger than a s*** little club like Blackburn though. I hope by your comments in this thread, you aren't advocating going back to the days when we didn't attempt to utliise the fanbase after all the years of building it up to higher levels.

Never mind.

Do you at least acknowledge that we are no longer the only club with real potential now? Aside from passion of the fans (call it volatile if you want) we have nothing different to offer that our main rivals cant offer as well? This has only really occured this past year as well so it wrong to assume we should be able to hand pick players from "smaller clubs" becase of our potential.

I don't understand your point. There is more money in the top league through sky TV, spin offs, advertising, merchandise. Just because clubs such as Blackburn have more money doesn't mean they can match us, when we have it too.

We are still bigger than most clubs in terms of fanbase providing we strive to utilise it and act like a big club ought to act. If anything, the merchandising should widen this gap, not shorten it.

There isn't a footballer anywhere who would not recognise that Newcastle is a real football city, with a football mad public, a huge fanbase and bigger than most others, come the day we actually make something happen.

The point is we haven't been utilising our fan base.

The extra income from the stadium expansion should have been our advantage over the likes of Blackburn, the problem was the clubs expenditure went up too so the fanbase wasn't really much benefit at all, what we had coming in was going out just as fast so the money hasn't been there to boss the likes of Blackburn around in the transfer market, unless we can find extra funds from somewhere (Mike Ashley hopefully)

Given the choice, any ambitious player would want to play for Newcastle over Blackburn next season, providing we survive in the Premiership. Just playing in front of a full St James' compared to a half empty Ewood Park should be enough to get a player like Bentley interested, only problem being that other, currently more successful clubs, could be interested in him too.

You've missed the point of my post.

Guest toonlass

Beye and Enrique are good fullbacks who will be better in their 2nd season and in Geremi and Zog we have decent cover, so i think centre halfs are an absolute priority. I do not agree with the general concensus about Taylor being the next big thing. I think he is erratic, with no great physical attributes. Faye is a very useful squad player who can play CH or CM but not 1st choice. An example of the type of pairing i would like to see is a Distin Laursen pairing. Those types of players are attainable and would offer a great base.

But for me the 2 things we desperately need are pace and creativity in midfield. Bentley (creativity) and Raúl Meireles (Porto pacy CM) would do wonders to our ability to put the opposition on the back foot.

I agree with you 100% but one thing we do have is N'Zogbia who has both pace and creativity.

Geremi and N'Zogbia are not good cover, I doubt Zoggy will be here next season anyway.

I agree with you 100% but one thing we do have is N'Zogbia who has both pace and creativity.

He won't be here next year

Let's hope not. We could replace him with someone who actually does something.

Guest Novocastrian

Let's hope not. We could replace him with someone who actually does something.

Too right, and he can disappear up his own arse like a couple of other left sided French players (Domi, Bernard) who thought they were too good for the club.

He better be, N'Zogbia 14 is what I have on the back of my replica shirt. Surely that alone is reason enough for him to stay.

Not sure if he will risk any foreigners, I don't watch too much of it personally, don't have the time, but I think this summer, he has to make the money he gets, count, and they carry a greater risk.

I think we will do a lot of business outside the UK our scouting setup looks like it is geared towards atm. I would like to see Keegan get out watching lower league football because he has a good eye for a player.

"Very few of the players we’re looking at at the moment with regards to the future won’t be being looked at by other clubs as well."

That either suggests he's talking about young lads or players who are not that well known and are not playing in the more well known leagues.

That is atm, come the summer there will be knowns joining.

Guest sicko2ndbest

At the moment for me NZog is just potential, and when i say potential i mean potentially a good premiership player not a world beater. He is currently a average premiership player with good attributes.

NZOG would not and will not get a regular place in the top 4s first 16 on current ability so unless he is moving abroad he would be stepping down or moving sidewards.

I personally expect him to be here next season but would still be a squad player.

NZOG would not and will not get a regular starting place in the top 4s first 16 on current ability so unless he is moving abroad he would be stepping down or moving sidewards.

Eh?

Guest sicko2ndbest

NZOG would not and will not get a regular starting place in the top 4s first 16 on current ability so unless he is moving abroad he would be stepping down or moving sidewards.

Eh?

Eh?

Don't know if you've noticed but we're shit.

At the moment for me NZog is just potential, and when i say potential i mean potentially a good premiership player not a world beater. He is currently a average premiership player with good attributes.

NZOG would not and will not get a regular place in the top 4s first 16 on current ability so unless he is moving abroad he would be stepping down or moving sidewards.

I personally expect him to be here next season but would still be a squad player.

He wants to move to London and has made this clear, he'll end up at West Ham IMO.

Eh?

Don't know if you've noticed but we're shit.

And he can't get a regular game here either.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Average, 4 million + and i would get rid if attitude not right.

Spurs need a left sided player

Mellberg would have been good but I don't think the back four is a priority unless someone [like him] became available. Same as a keeper like Friedel [although he's really too old now]

Mellberg (who has indeed gone to Juve on a Bosman) is on a downward curve and has been for a while now.

He's a good example. What would be the point for a player like him to make a "sideways" move (ie one to the non top 4 chasing pack)?

He's done what players do these days, looked after number one and gone for the pay day and experience of playing at a club like Juventus, although it will clearly be a come down playing in front of such shit attendances.

How ironic.

Good luck to the guy. Great servant to the club.