Kev: Signings may not be stars

Baggio

Guest Knightrider

Type of player people. Bellamy and Robert were not world stars although obviously talented, but they most certainly were the right type of players for us at that time and it is the right type of players we must always try to sign based on what we need and applied to how we/are going to play now and down the line.

The signing of Bellamy and Robert helped transform the team and for 2 seasons were 2 of the main threats we had.

Its irrelevant what has happened since then to the argument, we need signings such as those two - i.e not world stars but talented individuals who can win games and bring the best out in others

I was brought to belive the main threat is the person who puts the ball in the net the most.

Are world stars not talented individuals?

Who was the better signing Kluivert or Bellamy?

Take a step back & ask yourself was PK a world star when we signed him.

Robert's career has gone massively down hill since he left the toon, while Bellend has continued to miss most matches through injury.

Bellamy was absolutely brilliant for Blackburn, without a doubt the driving force behind getting them a 5th place finish that season.

[

why do you think I'm bothered about the opinion of a handful of Blackburn fans ?

I've been to Blackburn twice in the 80's and there was more NUFC fans than they were.

They boo their ex player who won the title for them almost single handed, idiots that they are.

Without Jack Walkers money they would be nothing, because they are a small club, albeit with a good manager at the moment who will move on when the right offer comes

I thought we had s*** crowds?

Well, we didn't fill a smaller ground, through not qualifying for europe and selling our best players, if thats what you mean.

Still bigger than a shit little club like Blackburn though. I hope by your comments in this thread, you aren't advocating going back to the days when we didn't attempt to utliise the fanbase after all the years of building it up to higher levels.

Never mind.

The thread is currently about you thinking we can cherry-pick the best players from clubs like Blackburn. Nobody criticised the old board, or disputed what they did for us.

As usual you're just building straw men left, right and centre.

All I said is that I would love to sign David Bentley - which I've been saying for ages - and the roof caved in

thats true dave. i actually think LM's been practicing quite a bit of restraint in this thread, and I don't think he's said anything out of order.

maybe thats just because im dreaming of Bentley too and really think we have a chance to bring him here

[

why do you think I'm bothered about the opinion of a handful of Blackburn fans ?

I've been to Blackburn twice in the 80's and there was more NUFC fans than they were.

They boo their ex player who won the title for them almost single handed, idiots that they are.

Without Jack Walkers money they would be nothing, because they are a small club, albeit with a good manager at the moment who will move on when the right offer comes

Well, we didn't fill a smaller ground, through not qualifying for europe and selling our best players, if thats what you mean.

Still bigger than a s*** little club like Blackburn though. I hope by your comments in this thread, you aren't advocating going back to the days when we didn't attempt to utliise the fanbase after all the years of building it up to higher levels.

Never mind.

Do you at least acknowledge that we are no longer the only club with real potential now? Aside from passion of the fans (call it volatile if you want) we have nothing different to offer that our main rivals cant offer as well? This has only really occured this past year as well so it wrong to assume we should be able to hand pick players from "smaller clubs" becase of our potential.

Guest Knightrider

I think we are still and always will be a club with real potential for as long as we continue to unfulfill that potential. We may not be quite as attractive as we have been in the past but the beauty about football is that it's a fickle business. It's all about ambition, show some and you open doors. Show more and more and you eventually get what you want or go very close as we did in 95 despite being a tin pot club only a few years prior to that. Same applies now.

[

Still bigger than a s*** little club like Blackburn though. I hope by your comments in this thread, you aren't advocating going back to the days when we didn't attempt to utliise the fanbase after all the years of building it up to higher levels.

Never mind.

Do you at least acknowledge that we are no longer the only club with real potential now? Aside from passion of the fans (call it volatile if you want) we have nothing different to offer that our main rivals cant offer as well? This has only really occured this past year as well so it wrong to assume we should be able to hand pick players from "smaller clubs" becase of our potential.

I don't understand your point. There is more money in the top league through sky TV, spin offs, advertising, merchandise. Just because clubs such as Blackburn have more money doesn't mean they can match us, when we have it too.

We are still bigger than most clubs in terms of fanbase providing we strive to utilise it and act like a big club ought to act. If anything, the merchandising should widen this gap, not shorten it.

There isn't a footballer anywhere who would not recognise that Newcastle is a real football city, with a football mad public, a huge fanbase and bigger than most others, come the day we actually make something happen.

The thread is currently about you thinking we can cherry-pick the best players from clubs like Blackburn. Nobody criticised the old board, or disputed what they did for us.

All I said is that I would love to sign David Bentley - which I've been saying for ages - and the roof caved in

thats true dave. i actually think LM's been practicing quite a bit of restraint in this thread, and I don't think he's said anything out of order.

maybe thats just because im dreaming of Bentley too and really think we have a chance to bring him here

Just pay what it takes to get him. I'm not talking silly figures here, but he will have his price. Pay it. Act like the big club we are and should act. Pay it and show everyone we mean business. That in itself will attract others. Its the only way.

mick quinn says in this months mag, a player who turn us down for anther club outside the big 4 would be a 'dickhead'.

'newcastle is still a big move on any c.v and the banter between players still suggests that'.

Just pay what it takes to get him. I'm not talking silly figures here, but he will have his price. Pay it. Act like the big club we are and should act. Pay it and show everyone we mean business. That in itself will attract others. Its the only way.

i have to say i agree 100%, it will attract others.

i honestly believe if we had have got woodgate in jan then others would have followed, and if you believe the itk on the blackburn forum, who is usually spot on, we wanted bentley.

i would absloutely love to see him here next season

Guest sicko2ndbest

Wish List

Top GK

2 Centre Halves

2 centre midfielders

Right Midfielder

Centre forward

Friedel

Mellberg Wes Brown

Nasri Juninho

Bentley

Huntelaar

Getting rid of Emre, Rozenhal, Smith, Duff, Carr, Ameobi

Wish List

Top GK

2 Centre Halves

2 centre midfielders

Right Midfielder

Centre forward

Friedel

Mellberg Wes Brown

Nasri Juninho

Bentley

Huntelaar

Brad Freidel is one of the best keepers in the premiership, we nearly got him the first time under keegan until his work permit fell through.

Don't suppose Blackburn would be too pleased if we poached another top player from them

[

Never mind.

I don't understand your point. There is more money in the top league through sky TV, spin offs, advertising, merchandise. Just because clubs such as Blackburn have more money doesn't mean they can match us, when we have it too.

We are still bigger than most clubs in terms of fanbase providing we strive to utilise it and act like a big club ought to act. If anything, the merchandising should widen this gap, not shorten it.

There isn't a footballer anywhere who would not recognise that Newcastle is a real football city, with a football mad public, a huge fanbase and bigger than most others, come the day we actually make something happen.

The point is we haven't been utilising our fan base.

The extra income from the stadium expansion should have been our advantage over the likes of Blackburn, the problem was the clubs expenditure went up too so the fanbase wasn't really much benefit at all, what we had coming in was going out just as fast so the money hasn't been there to boss the likes of Blackburn around in the transfer market, unless we can find extra funds from somewhere (Mike Ashley hopefully)

Wish List

Top GK

2 Centre Halves

2 centre midfielders

Right Midfielder

Centre forward

Friedel

Mellberg Wes Brown

Nasri Juninho

Bentley

Huntelaar

Mellberg has already joined Juve.

i have to say i agree 100%, it will attract others.

i honestly believe if we had have got woodgate in jan then others would have followed, and if you believe the itk on the blackburn forum, who is usually spot on, we wanted bentley.

i would absloutely love to see him here next season

Link?

I can't say I ever read Blackburn forums so you will have to point out who he is.

Guest toonlass

Wish List

Top GK

2 Centre Halves

2 centre midfielders

Right Midfielder

Centre forward

Friedel 37, no better than Harper or Given

Mellberg Signed for Juve hasn't he?

Wes Brown - aye

Nasri Juninho - hmmmm possibly

Bentley - in a heartbeat

Huntelaar - Yep

Guest sicko2ndbest

My scouting network is not the best, these are examples of the calibre of player i would like to see. Friedel i agree, is too old, but i would like a version of him about 7 years younger

Wish List

Top GK

2 Centre Halves

2 centre midfielders

Right Midfielder

Centre forward

Friedel

Mellberg Wes Brown

Nasri Juninho

Bentley

Huntelaar

There are players I would like who are better than what we have, but at the moment outside of Bentley I'm not really sure who I would like to play up front the most, who is possibly attainable.

Mellberg would have been good but I don't think the back four is a priority unless someone [like him] became available. Same as a keeper like Friedel [although he's really too old now]

Dean Ashton would be a possibility. Same as Kenwyne Jones to piss off the mackems if they go down. If Owen's "new position" becomes a long term one and he does well, and he stays injury free, it slightly changes the picture anyway. We also need a central midfield player, one with pace and drive, and control, that will score a few goals too.

We should also try to persuade zoggy to stay, if we can't we have to replace him with a quality player, and make sure we get a good fee big enough to do it.

Interestingly [or not  ;D] Keegan made a comment last year about Reading, saying that they would lose their best player when Sidwell moved [thought he hadn't seen a game in 3 years !!!], so keep an eye on that one.

All these players would improve us, but none of them are as outstanding as Bentley.

Not sure if he will risk any foreigners, I don't watch too much of it personally, don't have the time, but I think this summer, he has to make the money he gets, count, and they carry a greater risk.

What I'd give for a player like Rob Lee.

Guest toonlass

Wish List

Top GK

2 Centre Halves

2 centre midfielders

Right Midfielder

Centre forward

Friedel

Mellberg Wes Brown

Nasri Juninho

Bentley

Huntelaar

There are players I would like who are better than what we have, but at the moment outside of Bentley I'm not really sure who I would like to play up front the most, who is possibly attainable.

Mellberg would have been good but I don't think the back four is a priority unless someone [like him] became available. Same as a keeper like Friedel.

Dean Ashton would be a possibility. Same as Kenwyne Jones to piss off the mackems if they go down. If Owen's "new position" becomes a long term one and he does well, and he stays injury free, it slightly changes the picture anyway. We also need a central midfield player, one with pace and drive, and control, that will score a few goals too.

We should also try to persuade zoggy to stay, if we can't we have to replace him with a quality player, and make sure we get a good fee big enough to do it.

Interestingly [or not  ;D] Keegan made a comment last year about Reading, saying that they would lose their best player when Sidwell moved [thought he hadn't seen a game in 3 years !!!], so keep an eye on that one.

All these players would improve us, but none of them are as outstanding as Bentley.

Not sure if he will risk any foreigners, I don't watch too much of it personally, don't have the time, but I think this summer, he has to make the money he gets, count, and they carry a greater risk.

He's a bit old now like  :laugh:

Wish List

Top GK

2 Centre Halves

2 centre midfielders

Right Midfielder

Centre forward

Friedel

Mellberg Wes Brown

Nasri Juninho

Bentley

Huntelaar

we're desperately in need of a goal scoring midfielder imo

My scouting network is not the best, these are examples of the calibre of player i would like to see. Friedel i agree, is too old, but i would like a version of him about 7 years younger

Tin Howard?

He's a bald American who's around 7 years younger.

Wish List

Top GK

2 Centre Halves

2 centre midfielders

Right Midfielder

Centre forward

Friedel

Mellberg Wes Brown

Nasri Juninho

Bentley

Huntelaar

Mellberg would have been good but I don't think the back four is a priority unless someone [like him] became available. Same as a keeper like Friedel.

He's a bit old now like  :laugh:

bluelaugh.gif

I think we will do a lot of business outside the UK our scouting setup looks like it is geared towards atm. I would like to see Keegan get out watching lower league football because he has a good eye for a player.