How must these lads feel?

Guest toonlass

Guest toonlass

from .com

"And celebrating their first professional contracts are Dutch striker Frank Wiafe Danquah, winger Jonny Godsmark from Guidepost and Gosforth-born central midfielder Mark Doninger."

Must be one of the best feelings in the world 

Guest Stephen927

:clap:

I agree, the feeling of getting a contract after all the hard work you put in on a youth contract must be absolutely amazing.

On the other side of the coin, you have the lads that don't get a contract, must be heart breaking to come so close.

Guest Knightrider

Reward for 10 plus years of absolute torture for these kids. I don't envy talented kids who have had to come through the academy system and rigours of what is youth football in this country.

Guest Toepoke

Reward for 10 plus years of absolute torture for these kids. I don't envy talented kids who have had to come through the academy system and rigours of what is youth football in this country.

I don't know football is football it's great just playing games in general.

Guest Knightrider

Sadly these days kids spend more time practicing to play rather than actually playing, especially in academy setups and it must be bloody hard when you know you're under the microscope and there is a pressure to succeed when so young.

Guest Stephen927

Wonder how much they money are on?

I'd guess anything between £750-£4000.

Lad I know got his first contract with Sunderland, he's on about £1,500.

I know this other lad who plays for Middlesbrough, on loan at Hibs now I think, he's on about £3000.

EDIT: He's on loan at Aberdeen sorry, scored a goal against Bayern Munich in the UEFA Cup.

Sadly these days kids spend more time practicing to play rather than actually playing, especially in academy setups and it must be bloody hard when you know you're under the microscope and there is a pressure to succeed when so young.

Gutted for them.

"Real life" is much easier.

Guest rebel_yell12

Is that 1.5k per week then?  So about 75k per year to play football, at age 17 or so?  Not a bad gig if you can get it.  It seems even the youngsters contracts now are a lot higher than a decade ago.

In comparison, Liverpool's first contract with Michael Owen, in 1997, paid him just under 43 pound per week (he was 16) -- at 17 he was signed to a contract that paid a mere 500 pound per week, and he was one of the most touted prospects in England at the time.  Apparently the first thing he did was buy a non-flashy car, then pay off his parents' mortgage.  He was boring even at 17.

Still, it must be satisfying and very exciting to get that first contract.  I was right excited about my first job, and that was/is only paying me about 17k a year if you include the tuition waiver as part of my income.  I should've stuck with sport, not academics.

I know this other lad who plays for Middlesbrough, on loan at Hibs now I think, he's on about £3000.

EDIT: He's on loan at Aberdeen sorry, scored a goal against Bayern Munich in the UEFA Cup.

Josh Walker has been rated as one of the best youngsters in his age group in this country for years, so he was always going to get big numbers when turned pro. Who is the Sunderland lad you know? Colbak? Noble?

Guest rebel_yell12

Rebel_yell, your ability to fit Michael Owen into any topic is commendable.  O0

And a little frightening, I realise.  That said, he was the only one for whom I actually knew the numbers to compare -- anyone know any other comparisons from about 10 years ago for youngsters contracts?  The point (with my apparently obligatory Owen note) was that the wages of even the untried players seem to be on the rise, not just those of the "stars".

Is that 1.5k per week then?  So about 75k per year to play football, at age 17 or so?  Not a bad gig if you can get it.  It seems even the youngsters contracts now are a lot higher than a decade ago.

In comparison, Liverpool's first contract with Michael Owen, in 1997, paid him just under 43 pound per week (he was 16) -- at 17 he was signed to a contract that paid a mere 500 pound per week, and he was one of the most touted prospects in England at the time.  Apparently the first thing he did was buy a non-flashy car, then pay off his parents' mortgage.  He was boring even at 17.

Still, it must be satisfying and very exciting to get that first contract.  I was right excited about my first job, and that was/is only paying me about 17k a year if you include the tuition waiver as part of my income.  I should've stuck with sport, not academics.

sure i read somewhere that one of the big euro clubs,barca or inter or somesuch only pay their youth team players a pittance in their hands with the remainder being banked for when the player reaches a certain age or moves on.

Guest Stephen927

Josh Walker has been rated as one of the best youngsters in his age group in this country for years, so he was always going to get big numbers when turned pro. Who is the Sunderland lad you know? Colbak? Noble?

Yeah, Colback.

I've played against him in PE, unbelieveable strength for his age, miles better than everyone else. Reminded me of a midfield version of Wayne Rooney in some ways. Couldn't honestly say how far he'll go, but he has a very good attitude towards the game, so I hope he does well.

If you've heard of Colback, whats your opinion of him? Interesting to hear what people think, I didn't think many non Sunderland fans would know him.

Yeah, Colback.

I've played against him in PE, unbelieveable strength for his age, miles better than everyone else. Reminded me of a midfield version of Wayne Rooney in some ways. Couldn't honestly say how far he'll go, but he has a very good attitude towards the game, so I hope he does well.

If you've heard of Colback, whats your opinion of him? Interesting to hear what people think, I didn't think many non Sunderland fans would know him.

I cant remember him standing out for Sunderland juniors when they have played our lot. I know he was captain of there youth team during the FA Youth Cup run they have just had. People I have spoke to who I have asked about the Newcastle lads in there camp say he is really down to earth.

Guest Stephen927

Yeah he is really down to earth, complete opposite of Walker.

I think Jacks been with Sunderland since he was 12, and in the years I've known him he's never once mentioned it to me. If I ask him questions he'll not boast, he'll just answer them.