Nevermind Cristiano, the question is will Messi become as good as Maradona?

Parky

I rate Ronaldo, but Messi can do everything he does and better and infact is a better dribbler. For me Messi has the possibility (a couple of world cups on) to be as good as Maradona.

No he won't. And everyone knows how much I rate him.

I don't think with all due respect we can call it. IMO he is the only one out there who can get close.

He doesn't have Maradona's playmaking abilities.

Guest Knightrider

I rate Ronaldo, but Messi can do everything he does and better and infact is a better dribbler. For me Messi has the possibility (a couple of world cups on) to be as good as Maradona.

We shouldn't even be talking about Messi in the same league as Ronaldo yet never mind Maradona given that he's only been playing a shit and a shave and hasn't really done anything of consistent note yet outside of obvious standout performances for Barcelona.

He's a cracking player though but I doubt any player will touch Maradona for ability and sheer greatness with a ball at his feet.

Guest Knightrider

The game's way different. It's become way more physical, and even though I believe in the 'quality will shine through' adage, Messi's too fragile to have that of an impact and career.

He's been picking up a number of injuries now and I predicted that when he burst onto the scene. I hope it doesn't have a negative effect on his career or game as it did do Ronaldo (although he didn't do too badly for himself did he) or others as he is a very exciting player and one the game could do with shining even more as it gives hope to all those smaller framed not so burly talented kids out there that ability is what really counts in football, that and a great character.

The fact that this question is even being asked (and discussed fervently in Argentina) should be taken as a massive compliment by the kid (let's hope he reads N-O :razz:). He's got a massive future if he can stay injury-free but no, he won't get there.

The game's way different. It's become way more physical, and even though I believe in the 'quality will shine through' adage, Messi's too fragile to have that of an impact and career.

You had your Terry Butcher's and the "No nonsense" like in Maradona's day.

Maradona was short, but he was far from fragile. Sadly, there's almost as much of a chance of Messi's career being wasted away on many a physio's room as there is of him winning a few Ballon d'Ors and helping the Argies win a WC or two. The 'range' [/mathgeek] that his career could take is ridiculously enormous at this stage because of the quality he's shown and the amount of injuries that he's had.

Guest Knightrider

The thing with players like Best, Maradona, Zidane et al, they had this aura about them which I don't think Messi has, or Henry had or even Ronaldinho. I don't think Ronaldo does either. The likes of Maradona had that something extra which I don't even think is related to ability, I don't know what you could call it, I call it that something else.

The thing with players like Best, Maradona, Zidane et al, they had this aura about them which I don't think Messi has, or Henry had or even Ronaldinho. I don't think Ronaldo does either. The likes of Maradona had that something extra which I don't even think is related to ability, I don't know what you could call it, I call it that something else.

I think Messi has that aura about him tbh, so rarely loses the ball and almost always does something positive with it. Some of those Barcelona games early in the season were awe inspiring, such a buzz every time he got the ball. He's only 20 as well and figures to improve a lot, which is easy to overlook.

I maintain that if he could stay fit he'd be the better player than Ronaldo, but sadly he does look injury prone. With that in mind, I'd give the nod to Ronaldo.

Guest Knightrider

I think Messi has that aura about him tbh, so rarely loses the ball and almost always does something positive with it. Some of those Barcelona games early in the season were awe inspiring, such a buzz every time he got the ball. He's only 20 as well and figures to improve a lot, which is easy to overlook.

I maintain that if he could stay fit he'd be the better player than Ronaldo, but sadly he does look injury prone. With that in mind, I'd give the nod to Ronaldo.

Ability wise he does, but does he have that aura around his character or being? It's too early to tell.

Ability wise he does, but does he have that aura around his character or being? It's too early to tell.

I think that ultimately it's your ability that gives you that aura, nothing really to do with personality.

He's got the bottle for it anyway.

I hope he stays injury free, it'd be a joy to see him and Cristiano go head to head for the next decade as both have the potential to be among the best ever, easily.

Guest float one in

It's as you say Parky, we can only really call it after a few more World Cups - the proof that he is as effective or even more effective will come when he dominates a Word Cup and wins it amost single handedly like Maradona did in 86, or when he impacts on the fortunes of a club in the way Maradona did at Napoli.

In my opinion, he will never even be close. Messi is a brilliant dribbler and, over the course of his career I'd suggest his stats might be more impressive than Maradona´s, in terms of trophes won, goals scored and games played. But there was a magic about Maradona that I just don't see with Messi. Just that something extra - I don't see Messi's ability as mercurial in the way Maradona's was. Football is about much more than just winning-if it wasn't we would all be rowing or athletics fanatics- and watching Messi reminds us of that, but not to he extent that watching Maradona did. The word "genius" gets overused, as does the phrase "the word "genius" gets over used but", but if there was ever a genius in football it was Maradona.

As I said, Messi will probably win more trophies, but will the circumstances of those trophies match Maradona dragging Argentina to a World Cup and then setting alight an underperforming club like Napoli?                         

One thing is for certain, Messi and those around him will take care of his talents better than Maradona and his cronies did. He won't end up as a geet big fat bloater struggling about the pitch for Seville when he should still be in his prime. But that's another thing about Maradona - all of the beautiful things he achieved were absolutely in spite of being mismanaged, misinformed and misadvised, from the age of about 14, by just about every body who had any control or power or influence on his career, with a couple of notable exceptions.

It's as you say Parky, we can only really call it after a few more World Cups - the proof that he is as effective or even more effective will come when he dominates a Word Cup and wins it amost single handedly like Maradona did in 86,

I don't think another player in my lifetime will do what Maradona did in '86.