Full backs next season

TRon

We *needed* defenders and we got some.

Where we fucked up was the attacking options we also bought (Smith, Barton, Viduka) and the ones we already had (Owen, Emre, Zoggy) failed badly in general, not least because we've been mostly ignoring them in play.

An accurate summing up. The defenders bought have been pretty good quality, if not the best. The problem was Allardyce's terrible style of play which almost destroyed players like Geremi, Barton, Viduka and Owen who rely on quick passing and movement.

no, it isn't hijacked at all. It was doing fine until you piped up when I said 3 forwards would have improved the team more than 3 defenders, probably because it is me that  said it.

The fact that it is actually nailed on, and proven completely correct in view of the season we have had, doesn't seem to register with you. Like most facts don't. You are again showing that where personalities are concerned, you have no logic.

This was also being discussed much earlier in the season when I said we should have got someone like David Bentley, and you said "who is he and who is talking about David Bentley" such is your stance ref personalities and "hijacking threads".

Someone can now put the thread back on track.

The hijacking was to do with your bored comments, the thread is about Full backs next season.   :lol:

odd like, because your clueless and personality driven comments have been boring me to death for ages.

How would 3 forwards have improved the team if they were getting the poor service that our current forwards have been getting? 

omg

mackems.gif mackems.gif

And as has been said, who would we play in defence if we hadn't brought in Beye, Enrique, Faye, Rozenhal and Cacapa?  You seem to forget that we got rid of Onyewu who was only here on loan, Bernard has gone along with Babayaro, two players who were never fit and we've got Carr who is rarely fit enough to play, add Bramble and Moore to the list of those we had but have gone.

Do you really think that we didn't need to bring in defenders?

We needed defenders and we brought them in, we lost Sibierski and replaced him with Viduka, a better player but one who isn't playing enough games because he can't seem to get fit enough, we also brought in Smith, a player who you rate but one who has proven to be totally shite but at least numerically we increased what we had up front.

We lost Nobby, Parker and Dyer, we only brought in one player who has struggled until recently and Geremi, a player who has probably had his better years behind him.

I struggle to see how you can make the kind of statements that you’re making and you’ve been saying the same stuff for the best part of 2 seasons.

Facts in the form of league results, and positions, prove that I am correct.

Unlike you, I'm pointing out facts without any personality driven agenda.

We qualified for the Champs League a very average back four. My point is that quality forwards ie replacing Shearer, Bellamy, Solano and Robert would have improved the team more than defenders.

Keep up the good work, you make me laugh if nothing else with your idiocy.

I could look for the post about Bentley, but really can't be bothered. You'll probably deny it even when its in black and white, as you are in a state of denial about our best league positions in 50 years then anything is possible.

Thanks and good night.

I have to agree with Ne5, we spent far too much time in the summer worrying about our defence and not who was in front of them.

If we signed one or two extra attacking options we wouldn't have had half the problems because we could have dropped Smith for someone who can get goals. Our past semi-successfull teams have done well in the league with mediocre defences. It's been clear as day that our problems this season have been in the centre of the park.

One positive to take is that we can at least concentrate on that this summer knowing that we have a decent few defenders behind whoever comes in. For me the priority reads like this;

AM

DM

RM

FW

CB

You've agreed with NE5 who wants forwards then asked for 3 midfielders, a defender and 1 forward.

I thought he ment attacking players. i.e midfielders and strikers.

you thought correctly, its obvious to pretty much everybody it seems, except the bloke who actually thinks I'm the thread hijacker  mackems.gif

Except that some people debate sensibly, and others don't have concrete judgements and apply personalities instead.

Having called the current situation exactly right last summer, supported this club for 44 years, and can apply the logical common sense that the last 15 years has been the best years supporting the club during all of these 44 years and beyond, without engaging personalities in an attempt to change factual information, you don't need to patronise me about the merits of the relative roles of defenders and attackers.

I bet you that if we had bought 3 good attacking players last summer instead of 3 defenders, we would have done a lot better. Considering we haven't done any better having bought 3 defenders, and you are still disputing this, beggars belief.

I don't understand what point you are trying to prove - other than defending Ashley and Morts transfer policy rather than give credit to the previous regime for conducting a better one in most other years - but then again, I don't understand most of what you say, as it has no factual base. So I don't really care.

:hijack: :suicide:

no, it isn't hijacked at all. It was doing fine until you piped up when I said 3 forwards would have improved the team more than 3 defenders, probably because it is me that  said it.

The fact that it is actually nailed on, and proven completely correct in view of the season we have had, doesn't seem to register with you. Like most facts don't. You are again showing that where personalities are concerned, you have no logic.

This was also being discussed much earlier in the season when I said we should have got someone like David Bentley, and you said "who is he and who is talking about David Bentley" such is your stance ref personalities and "hijacking threads".

We bought 2 forwards, and Owen is having an extended run in the team.

If we hadn't bought Enrique, Beye and Faye, who exactly would be playing at the back?

It's GOOD midfielders we're missing, not strikers or defenders.

By the way, what do you mean by "Having called the current situation exactly right last summer"? I can't remember you predicting that Allardyce (the man YOU wanted) would be sacked and replaced with Keegan (another man YOU wanted). Do you mean you predicted we'd be shit this year, because I remember you saying quite the opposite.

eeer.......... yes. I wanted Allardyce admittedly, but at the end of the transfer window while everyone was agreeing with the chairmans comments that it had all been "good business" I said that it had been a disastrous transfer window.

Not a "panic" buy ala Sibierski in sight either.

Except that some people debate sensibly, and others don't have concrete judgements and apply personalities instead.

Having called the current situation exactly right last summer, supported this club for 44 years, and can apply the logical common sense that the last 15 years has been the best years supporting the club during all of these 44 years and beyond, without engaging personalities in an attempt to change factual information, you don't need to patronise me about the merits of the relative roles of defenders and attackers.

I bet you that if we had bought 3 good attacking players last summer instead of 3 defenders, we would have done a lot better. Considering we haven't done any better having bought 3 defenders, and you are still disputing this, beggars belief.

I don't understand what point you are trying to prove - other than defending Ashley and Morts transfer policy rather than give credit to the previous regime for conducting a better one in most other years - but then again, I don't understand most of what you say, as it has no factual base. So I don't really care.

If we hadn't bought Enrique, Beye and Faye, who exactly would be playing at the back?

By the way, what do you mean by "Having called the current situation exactly right last summer"? I can't remember you predicting that Allardyce (the man YOU wanted) would be sacked and replaced with Keegan (another man YOU wanted). Do you mean you predicted we'd be shit this year, because I remember you saying quite the opposite.

mackems.gif

Actually Gol NE5 said we need a striker that can hold the ball up rather than any defenders because this striker would stop us from conceding goals, he then said Smith was a great signing and that he's great at holding up the play and we will see this when he plays up front.

Since Smith has been up front we've conceded more goals and we were in our worst run of form which suddenly picked up when he was dropped.

Of course NE5 called all this in the Summer though. mackems.gif

Guest fraser

By the way, what do you mean by "Having called the current situation exactly right last summer"? I can't remember you predicting that Allardyce (the man YOU wanted) would be sacked and replaced with Keegan (another man YOU wanted). Do you mean you predicted we'd be s*** this year, because I remember you saying quite the opposite.

eeer.......... yes. I wanted Allardyce admittedly, but at the end of the transfer window while everyone was agreeing with the chairmans comments that it had all been "good business" I said that it had been a disastrous transfer window.

You weren't alone in welcoming Allardyce; I did. The trouble was that this job was necessary to show to the world, me included, just how limited as a manager he is. All the software in the world couldn't protect him from his shortcomings. Having said that, and ironically, Beye and Jose Enrique are two really good signings. Ful-back is one of the least worrying positions in the squad.

Actually Gol NE5 said we need a striker that can hold the ball up rather than any defenders because this striker would stop us from conceding goals, he then said Smith was a great signing and that he's great at holding up the play and we will see this when he plays up front.

Since Smith has been up front we've conceded more goals and we were in our worst run of form which suddenly picked up when he was dropped.

Dear little Matthew drumming up support for himself again  mackems.gif

mackems.gif

By the way, what do you mean by "Having called the current situation exactly right last summer"? I can't remember you predicting that Allardyce (the man YOU wanted) would be sacked and replaced with Keegan (another man YOU wanted). Do you mean you predicted we'd be s*** this year, because I remember you saying quite the opposite.

You weren't alone in welcoming Allardyce; I did. The trouble was that this job was necessary to show to the world, me included, just how limited as a manager he is. All the software in the world couldn't protect him from his shortcomings. Having said that, and ironically, Beye and Jose Enrique are two really good signings. Ful-back is one of the least worrying positions in the squad.

I think Beye is the best right back we have had for many years. Faye is good and Enrique is solid and improving and looks the part.

All this only re-affirms that the biggest impact would have been to buy forwards ie midfield players and another striker for the pedantic. We needed it last summer and stil need it now.

This is why we haven't done better than we have. Simple fact is that our failing as a team has been lack of ability to take the initiative not defend for all we are worth, and still haven't replaced Bellamy, Shearer, Robert and Solano.

mackems.gif

thats right. Blatant and laughable.

mackems.gif

you thought correctly, its obvious to pretty much everybody it seems, except the bloke who actually thinks I'm the thread hijacker  mackems.gif

Really?  If that's the case, what does this mean?

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=51433.msg1265622#msg1265622

I bet you that if we had bought 3 forwards we would have done a damn sight better

mackems.gif

thats right. Blatant and laughable.

mackems.gif

Better get your brother HTL on to for back up then Stevie boy. mackems.gif

Guest fraser

I think Beye is the best right back we have had for many years. Faye is good and Enrique is solid and improving and looks the part.

All this only re-affirms that the biggest impact would have been to buy forwards ie midfield players and another striker for the pedantic. We needed it last summer and stil need it now.

This is why we haven't done better than we have. Simple fact is that our failing as a team has been lack of ability to take the initiative not defend for all we are worth, and still haven't replaced Bellamy, Shearer, Robert and Solano.

If we continue as a 4-3-3/4-5-1/4-4-2, then we don't have to replace them although we do need a bigger, quality squad. I'm with the manager on this; we don't need much more to push on as long as WE keep our expectations at a reasonable level.

Really?  If that's the case, what does this mean?

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=51433.msg1265622#msg1265622

I bet you that if we had bought 3 forwards we would have done a damn sight better

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_(soccer)_positions

It says here forwards are strikers.

I think Beye has been completely underated by everyone but Toon fans this year.

I hear people saying that he never gets foward :| He's always bombing up and down at SJP when i watch him.

I think he's a class act, and has been one of our best, if not, the best player this season for us

If we continue as a 4-3-3/4-5-1/4-4-2, then we don't have to replace them although we do need a bigger, quality squad. I'm with the manager on this; we don't need much more to push on as long as WE keep our expectations at a reasonable level.

my expectations are high. They always have been. Thats why I can't be arsed with bringing in too many players who aren't good enough for what the club should be bringing in. And why I've always scorned people who slate the club for buying "trophy" players, for the simple reason that we should always be buying players of "trophy player" quality that the trophy winners themselves buy.

Quite unbelievable that people scorn the club for bringing players like Owen to the club, or the people responsible for finding whats needed to do it.

I actually think that at this point, we need 3 forward players. The right quality would get us into the top 6 next season. But it will cost a lot of money to get the right quality, although he may find someone somewhere like he did with Rob Lee, and hopefully he will. But you've got to set standards to aim for and pay the money if it takes it.

Guest fraser

f*** me not more quote pyramids

This is the King's Valley of quote pyramids. Tourists will visit in years to come.

Conceivably we may need 4 midf's and a target man. Proper CB as well before we consider FB's. The only important thing is that the players are good enough not how much they cost, not ALWAYS a direct correlation.

KK will need a bit of luck in the transfer market tbh, even if you have the money to buy the player you want, there's other factors.