I reckon we're going to take off again...

Guest Knightrider

The performances have been a lot better, and the players have more confidence, but at the end of the day, what's the reaction going to be if we lose to Reading this weekend?

Fact of the matter is, Keegan has only picked up the same amount of points in his first 10 games, as Allardyce did in his last 10.

It's all well and good saying 'yeah but the footballs better', but ultimately it's results that count.

but thats incredibly blinkered, he's had to do it with very limited resources, he had to turn an awful team into a decent team, and he has, maybe more. all people are saying is that if kev's given ample resources, we'll do much, much better than we have under souness, roeder or allardyce. is that hard to understand? or do you just disagree?

and to answer your first question, i dont actually think the reaction will be TOO bad if we lose, even though i slag the booing cunts to high heaven, because i think people will recognise that we've turned a corner in the last few weeks

I just disagree.

The performances have been a lot better, and the players have more confidence, but at the end of the day, what's the reaction going to be if we lose to Reading this weekend?

Fact of the matter is, Keegan has only picked up the same amount of points in his first 10 games, as Allardyce did in his last 10.

It's all well and good saying 'yeah but the footballs better', but ultimately it's results that count.

but thats incredibly blinkered, he's had to do it with very limited resources, he had to turn an awful team into a decent team, and he has, maybe more. all people are saying is that if kev's given ample resources, we'll do much, much better than we have under souness, roeder or allardyce. is that hard to understand? or do you just disagree?

and to answer your first question, i dont actually think the reaction will be TOO bad if we lose, even though i slag the booing cunts to high heaven, because i think people will recognise that we've turned a corner in the last few weeks

I just disagree.

the fundamental flaw in your point is that you are saying that if you play crap and sneak a lucky 1-0 win, its no different from an assessment of the team point of view as completely dominating a team, hitting the post 10 times, having 2 goals disallowed, going down to 10 men and also winning 1-0.

Stretching a point maybe to make the point, but the scenarios are a world apart.

I think a lot of the new money will go on inflated player wages as their agents create player unrest to line their scumbag pockets look after the best interests of their clients.

possibly. Lets hope we aren't the ones to stand by principles and see the best players go elsewhere. While its nice to have principles, in the real world this is what would happen.

I just disagree.

the fundamental flaw in your point is that you are saying that if you play crap and sneak a lucky 1-0 win, its no different from an assessment of the team point of view as completely dominating a team, hitting the post 10 times, having 2 goals disallowed, going down to 10 men and also winning 1-0.

Stretching a point maybe to make the point, but the scenarios are a world apart.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said  :rolleyes:

So because I don't cream myself over Kevin Keegan, and think he's going to do any better than a mid-table finish next year, I don't know anything?

and to answer your first question, i dont actually think the reaction will be TOO bad if we lose, even though i slag the booing c***s to high heaven, because i think people will recognise that we've turned a corner in the last few weeks

I just disagree.

So because I don't cream myself over Kevin Keegan, and think he's going to do any better than a mid-table finish next year, I don't know anything?

The crux of your initial argument is massivly flawed though,  How can Keegans first 10 games be comparable to Allardyces last 10 games? Did Kegan have the summer with the squad, did keegan have his own signings? Were Keegans first 10 games against the same opposition as Allardyces last 10 games?

Equating whats occured so far at the club down to a points tally is a litte tight if you ask me, if you cant see the whole picture ten surely you ust be extremely happy that we are doing better than last year positions wise?

They are 2 completely different scenarios, what people on here are getting excited about, is that they have been able to see the gradual improvements in every single match bar a couple, and there is no reason why it cant continue in the future.

Guest Phil K

I'm not so sure.

Understand your reluctance to believe everythings roses again.

But I do believe we've turned a corner, though.

Maybe stopped the rot if not a complete turn-around

Its just nice to have optimism around the place instead of doom and gloom but as always the gloom merchants still linger,

lets just sit back and enjoy whats going to happen over the next few years one things for sure it wont be dull ;D

I just disagree.

You may be right, but personally I think a lot of it obviously depends on how much he is backed and how good a player comes in as a result. It won't happen overnight either I would say next season a top half position and UEFA Cup qualification would be good progress and the year after that nearer to the top 4. Keegan won't be happy himself with anything less, he'll just demand more ambition and progress from the club.

I would say next season a top half position and UEFA Cup qualification would be good progress and the year after that nearer to the top 4.

As you need to be 5th for UEFA qualification, what position should we aiming for that is "nearer to the top 4"?

4.5th?

I would say next season a top half position and UEFA Cup qualification would be good progress and the year after that nearer to the top 4.

As you need to be 5th for UEFA qualification, what position should we aiming for that is "nearer to the top 4"?

4.5th?

i think you can say that 6th place will generally be enough for uefa.

its a pretty safe bet that one of the top 4 will win one of the cups.

then of course you have intertoto qualification.

4.5th?

the position that little Craigy baby alongside his mate Alan shot us to will do. Of course, as you said, we have been much better off without him.

4.5th?

i think you can say that 6th place will generally be enough for uefa.

its a pretty safe bet that one of the top 4 will win one of the cups.

then of course you have intertoto qualification.

but intertoto qualification is a disgrace and stooping sooooooo low

and to answer your first question, i dont actually think the reaction will be TOO bad if we lose, even though i slag the booing c***s to high heaven, because i think people will recognise that we've turned a corner in the last few weeks

I just disagree.

You may be right, but personally I think a lot of it obviously depends on how much he is backed and how good a player comes in as a result. It won't happen overnight either I would say next season a top half position and UEFA Cup qualification would be good progress and the year after that nearer to the top 4. Keegan won't be happy himself with anything less, he'll just demand more ambition and progress from the club.

Year on year improvement is what should be expected.

Guest Brummiemag

I will be happy enough next season if we finish mid table, playing some decent football and maybe with a cup run thrown in. That will be a massive improvement on what we have seen in the last few years.   Then push on from there for a top 6 or 7 finish the following season.

All we can ask for is year on year improvement and who knows, if Keegan is given the resources and the time we could even be challenging for a Champions League spot in 3 or 4 years time. 

I will be happy enough next season if we finish mid table, playing some decent football and maybe with a cup run thrown in. That will be a massive improvement on what we have seen in the last few years.   Then push on from there for a top 6 or 7 finish the following season.

All we can ask for is year on year improvement and who knows, if Keegan is given the resources and the time we could even be challenging for a Champions League spot in 3 or 4 years time. 

But we've been mid table for the last couple of years already . We're 12th at the moment, it doesn't get much more mid table than that ?

A mid table finish would not be an improvement, we should be looking to win the "best of the rest" league, there is no reason at all why with a few decent signings, we can't compete with the likes of Everton, Man City and Spurs. That's what KK will be aiming for I'm sure of that.

Guest Brummiemag

But we've been mid table for the last couple of years already . We're 12th at the moment, it doesn't get much more mid table than that ?

A mid table finish would not be an improvement, we should be looking to win the "best of the rest" league, there is no reason at all why with a few decent signings, we can't compete with the likes of Everton, Man City and Spurs. That's what KK will be aiming for I'm sure of that.

I take your point but I still think its more realistic to expect to be competing with the likes of Everton the season after next, and we certainly havn't seen much decent football in last couple of years.   I suppose it also depends on how much Keegan is given to spend and just as importantly who he can attract to the club.     

I'd like to see us play out the season with some good football played (similar to the style we played against Blackburn, Fulham and especially Spurs).  Finishing with a flourish in either 12 or 11th would be great - 3 wins, a tie and 2 losses would be fine. But it's the style that we play that will be important. 

We need to show prospective targets that we are on the up, and playing attractive football. The better we show, the easier it is to attract the higher quality players.

Then next season our target should be 7th-10th place. Step by step. Easy does it. Solid foundations all the way, without gambling on the quick-fix that may not pay off.

It doesn't actually take that long to move up the "also rans" league. 2 years ago we were 7th and that was wih Souness in charge for the majority of it.

Look at Man City, they were far worse than even us last year, but they have been fighting for the "best of the rest" all season. Villa too have improved greatly. There is is not a huge difference between ourselves and those immediately above us in the league.

Obviously the big jump is break that top 4 and that is where I agree it will take much more time, a lot of money and a fair chunk of luck too.

Having said all that if we finish in mid table obscurity yet again next year, I'll not be calling for KK's head.

Guest Knightrider

While we lag behind others after years of crap football always opens a window to any team or club to close that gap within a season due to it's fickleness. A top team can become a shit team over night, while equally a shit team can become a top team over night. It's down to momentum and buying the right kind of players, fitting them in and creating the right kind of environment to prosper. We did it under Sir Bobby. Likewise if you buy the wrong players or sell the wrong players, struggle to fit them in or move them around, go on a poor run and the environment turns sour, it can all go wrong as it did under Souness. 5th to 14th in one season. Why can't we go from 14th to 5th? We can. I don't think we will but we'll improve nonetheless and that's good enough for me, eventually we'll get to a level that is on a par or exceeds our key rivals. What we do after that will determine whether we can reach the final level, the top 4, trophies and Champions League football. Once there, you just have to sustain the buying of good players, fitting them in, keeping the momentum going and keeping that environment going. In KK we have just the man to do that.

There is no reason why, with the right couple of signings, we can't break into the top 7 next season. Big, big summer on the way.

As long as the football continues in the same manner as it did against tottenham, im not bothered about a high finish, i just want to see them enjoying playing for the club and putting the effort in and scoring goals .. basically i want us to be the entertainers again

and i reckon we will be

Guest sombrero

aye i completely agree, the sexy football is slowly coming back, the good old days when it felt like taking out a sub machine gun when asprilla or ferdinand or shearer came on to play!