4 Champions Leage entrants:

- Champions,

- Runners-up,

- Third place,

- Fourth place.

3 UEFA Cup entrants:

- 5th place,

- FA Cup winners (if they're already in, then the runner-up gets it),

- League Cup winners (if they're already in, the 6th place team in the league gets it).

1 Intertoto entrant: Highest placed team in the league who applied for entry.

Simple enough really :)

:nope:

UEFA CUP

English clubs are offered three places in the Uefa Cup - for the FA Cup winners, the Carling Cup winners and the fifth-placed team in the Premier League.

Tottenham have qualified for the Uefa Cup by winning the Carling Cup.

Should a team finishing in the top four in the Premier League win the FA Cup (still technically possible in Portsmouth), the Uefa Cup place would go to the team finishing sixth in the league.

If Cardiff City win the FA Cup then, as it stands, they are not allowed to qualify for the Uefa Cup because they are registered with the Football Association of Wales and would not be put forward as one of England's representatives. In that instance, the FA Cup runners-up would take their place in the Uefa Cup - although the Football Association are reviewing their rules.

As mentioned aboved, if a team wins the Champions League but finishes outside the top four, then a Uefa Cup place will go to the fourth-placed team.

If Portsmouth win the FA Cup and finish fifth in the Premier League, the sixth-placed team in the league would enter the Uefa Cup, not the FA Cup runners-up.

Unless the BBC are wrong, which I doubt (they were wrong on a point regarding this in the first draft of this article which they then checked and corrected), the rules have obviously changed from previous years.

There are no UEFA cup places for cup runners up

How come we weren't entitled to defend our Intertoto certificate after winning it? ;D

O0 fixed it for ya.

So basically there isn't much chance of us getting into Europe unless we win the fair-play league.

Who are we competing with to win the fair play ?

http://www.premierleague.com/page/FairPlayTable/0,,12306,00.html

Mate, you're 17th. You're not going to win it. :lol:

I couldn't understand that table.....

I bet Derby fans had that excuse for the real one.

"Who we competing with for the title?"

4 Champions Leage entrants:

- Champions,

- Runners-up,

- Third place,

- Fourth place.

3 UEFA Cup entrants:

- 5th place,

- FA Cup winners (if they're already in, then the runner-up gets it),

- League Cup winners (if they're already in, the 6th place team in the league gets it).

1 Intertoto entrant: Highest placed team in the league who applied for entry.

Simple enough really :)

:nope:

UEFA CUP

English clubs are offered three places in the Uefa Cup - for the FA Cup winners, the Carling Cup winners and the fifth-placed team in the Premier League.

Tottenham have qualified for the Uefa Cup by winning the Carling Cup.

Should a team finishing in the top four in the Premier League win the FA Cup (still technically possible in Portsmouth), the Uefa Cup place would go to the team finishing sixth in the league.

If Cardiff City win the FA Cup then, as it stands, they are not allowed to qualify for the Uefa Cup because they are registered with the Football Association of Wales and would not be put forward as one of England's representatives. In that instance, the FA Cup runners-up would take their place in the Uefa Cup - although the Football Association are reviewing their rules.

As mentioned aboved, if a team wins the Champions League but finishes outside the top four, then a Uefa Cup place will go to the fourth-placed team.

If Portsmouth win the FA Cup and finish fifth in the Premier League, the sixth-placed team in the league would enter the Uefa Cup, not the FA Cup runners-up.

Unless the BBC are wrong, which I doubt (they were wrong on a point regarding this in the first draft of this article which they then checked and corrected), the rules have obviously changed from previous years.

There are no UEFA cup places for cup runners up

The BBC are wrong.

The BBC are wrong.

Fair enough then. Link?

Portsmouth finishing 5th is the only way 6th will qualify, but I pretty much ruled that out because Portsmouth aren't going to finish 5th.

How does this happen then?

So basically there isn't much chance of us getting into Europe unless we win the fair-play league.

Who are we competing with to win the fair play ?

http://www.premierleague.com/page/FairPlayTable/0,,12306,00.html

Mate, you're 17th. You're not going to win it. :lol:

Just what have Blackburn Officials been up to to get such a low rating compared to every one else?

The BBC are wrong.

Fair enough then. Link?

Portsmouth finishing 5th is the only way 6th will qualify, but I pretty much ruled that out because Portsmouth aren't going to finish 5th.

How does this happen then?

Because if Portsmouth win the FA Cup and finish 5th, the place that was meant to go to 5th will go to 6th and Portsmouth will qualify as the national cup winners.

This is from the wikipedia site, which isn't the best of sources, but I've read it somewhere else too.

The top four teams in the Premiership qualify for the UEFA Champions League, with the top two teams directly entering the group phase. The third and fourth placed teams enter the competition at the third qualifying round and must win a two-legged knockout tie in order to enter the group phase. The fifth placed team automatically qualifies for the UEFA Cup, and the sixth and seventh placed teams can also qualify, depending on what happens in the two domestic cup competitions. If the FA Cup winners and runners-up both finish in the top five of the Premier League, the FA Cup's UEFA Cup spot goes to the sixth placed team in the League. If the League Cup is won by a team that has already qualified for Europe, the League Cup's UEFA Cup spot also goes to the next highest placed team in the League (unlike the FA Cup spot, it is never transferred to the losing finalist).[18] The highest placed team that has not qualified for the UEFA Cup is allowed the opportunity to compete in the UEFA Intertoto Cup, provided they have applied to enter the Intertoto Cup in the next season. This provides another means of getting into the UEFA Cup, as winners of all eleven third-round Intertoto Cup ties qualify for that tournament.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League#Qualification_for_European_competitions

I also remember having a debate on another forum about it, because I didn't think the FA Cup runner-up got the spot, but they linked me to an article which said that the FA Cup runner up gets the spot should the FA Cup winner have already qualified for Europe.

Because if Portsmouth win the FA Cup and finish 5th, the place that was meant to go to 5th will go to 6th and Portsmouth will qualify as the national cup winners.

This is from the wikipedia site, which isn't the best of sources, but I've read it somewhere else too.

In the Wikipedia scenario, the FA cup runners up would get the UEFA cup spot, not 6th place. You're contradicting yourself.

This is getting so complicated, I'll try to summarise, but I'm starting to get confused:

UEFA Cup places:

5th in league

League Cup winners (Spurs)

FA Cup winners

If Portsmouth win the FA Cup, & finish 5th, the cup runners-up get the UEFA Cup place. Wikipedia is right - the only scenario where 6th gets the spot is if both cup finalists were in the top 5 in the league, which is impossible this season.

Hopefully that's right!

This is getting so complicated, I'll try to summarise, but I'm starting to get confused:

UEFA Cup places:

5th in league

FA Cup winners

If Portsmouth win the FA Cup, & finish 5th, the cup runners-up get the UEFA Cup place. Wikipedia is right - the only scenario where 6th gets the spot is if both cup finalists were in the top 5 in the league, which is impossible this season.

Hopefully that's right!

Do you have a source for Wikipedia being right? The FA reference cited for that information on Wikipedia is dated 04 February 2003.

How exactly are Manchester United and Arsenal so high in the fair play league? Is it all made up?

It's more to do with how attacking you are as a team than anything else. Which is why Spurs are so high, and we are so low (pre Keegan).

UEFA Cup places:

5th in league

FA Cup winners

Hopefully that's right!

Do you have a source for Wikipedia being right? The FA reference cited for that information on Wikipedia (after you realise the references are 1 out) is dated 04 February 2003.

I don't, but what is said there is what I have always thought happens. That doesn't mean much though...

In the Wikipedia scenario, the FA cup runners up would get the UEFA cup spot, not 6th place. You're contradicting yourself.

Didn't you get the part where I said Portsmouth would qualify as the national cup winners?

That's how I always thought it would work, but wikipedia doesn't make it clear.

It gets confusing, but from the debate I had on another forum, that was fairly lengthy, we came to a general consensus.

UEFA Cup places:

5th in league

FA Cup winners

Hopefully that's right!

Do you have a source for Wikipedia being right? The FA reference cited for that information on Wikipedia is dated 04 February 2003.

Do you have a source for the BBC being right?

I'd prefer to believe wikipedia, on an FA referenced cited page (regardless of the date) over a little snippet from the BBC.

UEFA Cup places:

5th in league

FA Cup winners

Hopefully that's right!

So what if Portsmouth finish 5th and beat Cardiff in the final?