NUFC want to offer Owen new deal

Guest sicko2ndbest

The lack of activity on the contract situations of both Owen and Taylor are a bit worrying for me. Surely we've had enough time to either get the deals done or come to an agreement that either don't want them or they don't want us, by now. Our place in the PL for next season has been secured for well over a month now, that's more than enough time to sort this out.

The worry is that, there's two key births in your squad that are doubtful, how can you plan your transfer activity if you don't know if you need to replace a player or not ? I would like the contracts sorted out before we dip into the market, if we've got to find a replacement for Owen then that's a hefty wedge of the kitty we'll have to putr aside because with his injury record and contract situation, the replacement will not be self financed through the sale of Owen.

If they are not planning to talk to him until the 15th June, I think we may as well write off June for buying anyone that significantly eats into our supposedly small trasfer budget. This summer is starting to worry me.

The players are on their post-season holidays at the minute. Would you be happy if you boss brought you in on your holidays to sort out work business? I would certainly be pissed off.

You can argue that it'll be sorted out with advisors and crap and need not involve the player but I bet they'd like to be there.

We're not even into the transfer window yet and the players are still all away on their holidays, just give it time.

Two things, talks could have been started well before the end of the season. The club publically announced that they were waiting to secure our PL status before  opening talks.

Secondly, the bulk of the talking does not require the parcipation of the player himself, it's done with the representatives, being on hioliday has no bearing.

As a matter of point, how long should these things actually take anyway, I want xxx amount, club willling to pay XXX. I want a couple of bonuses, and a contract condition or two. It's really not as complicated as people would have you believe.

If you ask me it's all a bunch stalling tactics from one or both sides.

a) Our Premier League status did need to be secured before we began negotiations, and it is a load of claptrap to suggest otherwise.

b) How do you know that we aren't just waiting for these players to come home, speak to the manager and put pen to paper?

a) when the hell did I say that ???????? The PL status was secured BEFORE the end of the season, a couple of weeks before  !!

b) Like I said the players don't do a lot of talking anymore. It's agents and lawyers, all the player does is sign on the bottom line, in this digital age, he could be anywhere in the world to do that.

The lack of activity on the contract situations of both Owen and Taylor are a bit worrying for me. Surely we've had enough time to either get the deals done or come to an agreement that either don't want them or they don't want us, by now. Our place in the PL for next season has been secured for well over a month now, that's more than enough time to sort this out.

The worry is that, there's two key births in your squad that are doubtful, how can you plan your transfer activity if you don't know if you need to replace a player or not ? I would like the contracts sorted out before we dip into the market, if we've got to find a replacement for Owen then that's a hefty wedge of the kitty we'll have to putr aside because with his injury record and contract situation, the replacement will not be self financed through the sale of Owen.

If they are not planning to talk to him until the 15th June, I think we may as well write off June for buying anyone that significantly eats into our supposedly small trasfer budget. This summer is starting to worry me.

The players are on their post-season holidays at the minute. Would you be happy if you boss brought you in on your holidays to sort out work business? I would certainly be pissed off.

You can argue that it'll be sorted out with advisors and crap and need not involve the player but I bet they'd like to be there.

We're not even into the transfer window yet and the players are still all away on their holidays, just give it time.

Two things, talks could have been started well before the end of the season. The club publically announced that they were waiting to secure our PL status before  opening talks.

Secondly, the bulk of the talking does not require the parcipation of the player himself, it's done with the representatives, being on hioliday has no bearing.

As a matter of point, how long should these things actually take anyway, I want xxx amount, club willling to pay XXX. I want a couple of bonuses, and a contract condition or two. It's really not as complicated as people would have you believe.

a) Our Premier League status did need to be secured before we began negotiations, and it is a load of claptrap to suggest otherwise.

b) How do you know that we aren't just waiting for these players to come home, speak to the manager and put pen to paper?

a) when the hell did I say that ???????? The PL status was secured BEFORE the end of the season, a couple of weeks before  !!

b) Like I said the players don't do a lot of talking anymore. It's agents and lawyers, all the player does is sign on the bottom line, in this digital age, he could be anywhere in the world to do that.

a) The bit in bold. Perhaps I misunderstood the context though. Regardless, things don't get done in two weeks. The average Premier League contract extension can take take months to sort out, and people had other jobs to be doing in the last two weeks of the season, namely Ramage and Carr and making our summer plans.

b) Annoy the player on hos holiday, plus miss the opportunity for photographs, champagne, handshakes, hobnobbing and the full boardroom class experience. I don't think so. Besides, Owen is a family man, and if he has committed time to his family and kids, he wouldn't lose any of it to agents/club officials etc.

In theory I agree with afar, but in practice players and their agents are going to stall as long as possible. The agent will try and drum up (or make up) interest from other clubs, to increase the bargaining power of the player.

If we offer something close to what Owen wants then if he's going to sign at all, I think he'll sign soon enough; but if we're looking to seriously knock down his wages when seemingly everyone else's are rocketing, then he's going to leave it to the last minute or more likely not sign at all. He's certainly not going to be signing a 4 year contract on £80k anytime soon.

a) The bit in bold. Perhaps I misunderstood the context though. Regardless, things don't get done in two weeks. The average Premier League contract extension can take take months to sort out, and people had other jobs to be doing in the last two weeks of the season, namely Ramage and Carr and making our summer plans.

b) Annoy the player on hos holiday, plus miss the opportunity for photographs, champagne, handshakes, hobnobbing and the full boardroom class experience. I don't think so. Besides, Owen is a family man, and if he has committed time to his family and kids, he wouldn't lose any of it to agents/club officials etc.

a) I'll repeat, PL status was secured before the end of the season. 2 weeks is enough time to sort it out, it's not that complicated, this is my point, in the 'real' world much more complicated deals are brokered within smaller time frames. It's all about stalling, who's doing the stalling with the Owen deal, I don't know, the club maybe or the player. They'll also have known weeks before the PL status was secured who they wanted to release and who they wanted to resign and most probably what they wanted to offer.

b) Yeah the 2 minute phone call from my agent securing a new contract is so annoying ?? The photo session could still take place when he returns, how many times have we heard the line "xxxx has agreed to sign a new deal, and he'll put pen to paper when he returns from a much earned holiday in the carribean" ? Instead all we get is that the 2nd phase of talks begin on the 15th June. You would think we were talking about the takeover of a multinational business here, not a contract of employment.

Guest shearer_united

Michael Owen is definitely is no longer worth his 120k/week wage.

The real and only incentive i see for him to stay in Newcastle is money and therefore i think its better if he had left - Someone else to replace him is definitely a priority in the summer.

Guest teepee

The real and only incentive i see for him to stay in Newcastle is money and therefore i think its better if he had left - Someone else to replace him is definitely a priority in the summer.

says the man with a picture of smith as his avatar

owen has proved himself as a player whenever he's been fit, but therein lies the main problem. i agree wages of a 120 are outrageous, but we'll struggle to get anyone in who has even half his talent

says the man with a picture of smith as his avatar

owen has proved himself as a player whenever he's been fit, but therein lies the main problem. i agree wages of a 120 are outrageous, but we'll struggle to get anyone in who has even half his talent

But you can get 2 Alan Smiths for 1 Michael Owen! It's a no brainer!

Also don't dismiss the fact that these trophy players attract revenue to the club that your Alan Smiths don't (Ashley probably wears that Smith shirt because there were loads left in the club shop and he wanted to start a trend). So he pays back some of his wages in that way.

If he wants anything up to around £120,000 a week then give it to him. When fit he's worth it. But more than that, it gives the club something they would otherwise not have - a world class name in the squad to attract those young players we are supposed to be going for that may not have heard of Keegan etc.

I think if it were announced this afternoon that he had extended his contract the overall feeling would be positive. At the end of the day, who cares if it is at £80,000 or £120,000 - relative to the amount we pay some very average players it is nothing. And if he doesn't sign then we face the realistic prospect of facing the new season without a genuine world class player - its pretty unlikely we are going to get a ready made replacement this year without European football to offer.

If he wants anything up to around £120,000 a week then give it to him. When fit he's worth it. But more than that, it gives the club something they would otherwise not have - a world class name in the squad to attract those young players we are supposed to be going for that may not have heard of Keegan etc.

I think if it were announced this afternoon that he had extended his contract the overall feeling would be positive. At the end of the day, who cares if it is at £80,000 or £120,000 - relative to the amount we pay some very average players it is nothing. And if he doesn't sign then we face the realistic prospect of facing the new season without a genuine world class player - its pretty unlikely we are going to get a ready made replacement this year without European football to offer.

The club can't afford to pay players 120k a week, we're not a CL club. Ashley obviously wants to run the club efficiently, if that means Owen leaving then so be it. He's not a "genuine world class player" at all, he's not Eto'o ffs.

I disagree - put Eto in our side in the last 12 games of the season and I doubt very much he would have done as well as Owen, but I take your point re what we can afford.

However, I still think that its not the 1 - 3 top earners that are going to cause any financial difficulty - its the load of average players on £50 - £60K per week that should cause concern.

The club can't afford to pay players 120k a week, we're not a CL club. Ashley obviously wants to run the club efficiently, if that means Owen leaving then so be it. He's not a "genuine world class player" at all, he's not Eto'o ffs.

While technically we can afford it, I agree its far too much to be paying.  I think £80,000 would be acceptable IMO and would help the overall saving we're trying to make on wages.

Emre gone - £60,000

Duff gone - £50,000

Smith gone - £45,000

Carr gone - £40,000

Owen wage cut - £40,000

Babayaro gone- £35,000

Cacapa gone - £30,000

Ameobi gone - £25,000

Rozehnal - £25,000

£350,000 per week, or £18 million per year saved (obviously the wages are guestimates..).

Emre never played, Duff is useless, Smith worse then useless, Ameobi not even a fringe player, Carr useless, Baba played even less then Emre, Cacapa only backup and Rozehnal will hardly be missed having been on loan for the last 5 months.  So we're really not losing anything there..  Yet it would drop our current wage bill from £64 million per year to roughly around £46 million.

While it's true Owen has a certain attraction value, I'm not sure it's worth an extra £40,000/wk. Does his reputation or shirt sales bring in that much every week? If it does then fair enough. Otherwise 80k sounds like a pretty decent wage to me.

While technically we can afford it, I agree its far too much to be paying.  I think £80,000 would be acceptable IMO and would help the overall saving we're trying to make on wages.

Emre gone - £60,000

Duff gone - £50,000

Smith gone - £45,000

Carr gone - £40,000

Owen wage cut - £40,000

Babayaro gone- £35,000

Cacapa gone - £30,000

Ameobi gone - £25,000

Rozehnal - £25,000

£350,000 per week, or £18 million per year saved (obviously the wages are guestimates..).

Emre never played, Duff is useless, Smith worse then useless, Ameobi not even a fringe player, Carr useless, Baba played even less then Emre, Cacapa only backup and Rozehnal will hardly be missed having been on loan for the last 5 months.  So we're really not losing anything there..  Yet it would drop our current wage bill from £64 million per year to roughly around £46 million.

Acceptable to who? The club or Owen? I'm sure it would be acceptable to the club, but I very much doubt it would be acceptable to Owen.

You not going to replace those 8 players then? Or are you just going to use YTS lads?

PS You forgot Given off your list of useless players/crocks.

Guest Sniffer

Emre gone - £60,000

Duff gone - £50,000

Smith gone - £45,000

Carr gone - £40,000

Owen wage cut - £40,000

Babayaro gone- £35,000

Cacapa gone - £30,000

Ameobi gone - £25,000

Rozehnal - £25,000

Acceptable to who? The club or Owen? I'm sure it would be acceptable to the club, but I very much doubt it would be acceptable to Owen.

You not going to replace those 8 players then? Or are you just going to use YTS lads?

Would YTS lads be any worse?

PS You forgot Given off your list of useless players/crocks.

I'm talking about what I consider to be acceptable, wether Owen accepts whatever contract is offered is another matter.

Do we need replacements for them when they leave?  Put it this way the positions we need to fill this transfer window would be exactly the same wether those players left or not IMO :)

You left geremi off the list. That tosser is probably pulling down 60K a week

I don't think we paid a fee for him so I think it wouldn't be too difficult to move him on, assuming KK wants to.

Guest Sniffer

There's only carr and emre who have gone or close to gone. The rest could hang around if they want to so it's more of a wish list than anything.

I'd put geremi at the top.

Carr and Baba are gone, Emre is basically gone, Rozehnal doesn't want to come back and we don't seem to want him either, and Ameobi's obviously not wanted and could go at any time.

The other three I mentioned are just players I would like to go that I think might very well leave.  I don't think Smith will get many games under Keegan, Duff's been rumoured to be off for months and Cacapa's getting on and out of contract in 12 months.

There's only carr and emre who have gone or close to gone. The rest could hang around if they want to so it's more of a wish list than anything.

I'd put geremi at the top.

Geremi is past it, but when he's on the pitch he at least gets some assists and makes decisive contributions. Smith and Duff run around a lot with fuck-all end product. They're a waste of space even on the bench. They should be top of the list.