Mort - "not looking to make one-off signings to appease fans"

Guest sicko2ndbest

Erm, aren't those players the very definition of what the people defending Mort are saying he means as the type of player we wont be signing in the future, ie players at the end of their career, on the way down?

I'm not sure that it is the same, I'm not even sure that Mort would be against those type of signings.  I'm fairly sure he'd be over the moon if we could repeat them at the cost we paid for them.

Even Sir John didn't want Beardsley but Keegan lied to him if the reports are true.

Mick, how much do you think we'll spend?

Between £40 million and £60 million if Keegan wants to spend it.  I wouldn't be surprised to see our current record transfer beaten 2 or 3 times in the summer if we can tempt good enough players to the club.

It did strike me as ironic if not downright hypocritical to accuse the old board of doing things to appease the fans after pulling the biggest crowd pleasing stunt since we signed Shearer. To the outside world the appointment looked exactly like the managerial equivalent of signing a past-it big name player out for one last payday (they're wrong like).

I can't see any hypocrisy at all when you compare like for like.

I would have thought Beardsley or Nobby coming back or Keegan himself the first time he managed the club, none of those were criticised by our fans, or at least very few, if any.

Erm, aren't those players the very definition of what the people defending Mort are saying he means as the type of player we wont be signing in the future, ie players at the end of their career, on the way down?

I thought people said players on the way down that would cost big money like Henry?

It seems you're trying to twist things.

Infact the signing he could have been talking about could well have been Keegan as a player.

:nods: That's the last one I could come up with that fitted the criteria you all seem to be assuming he means. He only cost £100,000 like.

Again, nobody has mentioned money except when it concerns Henry who would cost a large sum.

You've lost me. You picked Kluivert, Butt and Duff as 3 players you thought were the type of players Mort was talking about. None of those were big money signings.

It did strike me as ironic if not downright hypocritical to accuse the old board of doing things to appease the fans after pulling the biggest crowd pleasing stunt since we signed Shearer. To the outside world the appointment looked exactly like the managerial equivalent of signing a past-it big name player out for one last payday (they're wrong like).

I can't see any hypocrisy at all when you compare like for like.

I would have thought Beardsley or Nobby coming back or Keegan himself the first time he managed the club, none of those were criticised by our fans, or at least very few, if any.

I thought people said players on the way down that would cost big money like Henry?

It seems you're trying to twist things.

Infact the signing he could have been talking about could well have been Keegan as a player.

:nods: That's the last one I could come up with that fitted the criteria you all seem to be assuming he means. He only cost £100,000 like.

Again, nobody has mentioned money except when it concerns Henry who would cost a large sum.

You've lost me. You picked Kluivert, Butt and Duff as 3 players you thought were the type of players Mort was talking about. None of those were big money signings.

I'm talking about what people have said they've interpreted Mort's comments to mean for the future.

Guest Knightrider

Ashley wants championship winning football and that is going to cost a lot of money, lucky for him he picked the right man to spend his money. Whether we win owt remains to be seen but we're going to go for it. Ashley nor KK wouldn't settle for anything less. KK  was dragged from his comfort zone to finish the job he started, that's why they are both here man - to succeed. lt's not in their makeup to settle for anything else. Ashley didn't buy us to finish in the top 10 or UEFA cup footy, he bought us to build us into something he's used to - success - and he wants to do it in style. If even half of what i've heard is true we are very lucky people...

So the signings he was criticising the old board for were players on the way down who were cheap, but the players we wont be signing in the future are players on the way down who cost a lot? Have I got it right now? Blimey, it's not me trying to twist things.

So the signings he was criticising the old board for were players on the way down who were cheap, but the players we wont be signing in the future are players on the way down who cost a lot? Have I got it right now? Blimey, it's not me trying to twist things.

The players I think he's talking about are Duff and Kluivert as in players who I think we're bought to appease the fans because of their big reputation rather than how good they were or improve the team.

That's just my opinion though, I don't know what players he's talking about or even if he's referring to things that happened under Shepherd, although as I said earlier it seems to have hit a nerve with a few of his fans.

Not much more of the sentence to pick the bones out of.

3 pages later & still no answer :lol:

I'll ask again, NE5, how much do you think we'll spend this summer?

Answer in £'s please

oh dear. 400m. I don;t know I'm not Chris Mort or Mike Ashley !!!

What a question  :coolsmiley: howay mate, keep it sensible  ;D

It must be a good question because you refuse to answer it :)

what don't you understand about "how am I supposed to know"

You dont know how to give a good estimate of the clubs ambition?

yes I do, but I haven't seen the right awareness from the chairman yet, quite the opposite in fact

Whats that got to do with your estimate? In fact, if you dont think you've seen the "right awareness from the chairman", then your estimate must be pretty low....meaning you dont think the new boad will show much ambition? Yes? Is that right?

I'll put my Captain Obvious hat on here and have a guess that you dont want to estimate because it will then contradict all your "foresight" and "superior knowledge" you have of the club having been a fan for over 100 years and witnessing some "real shit boards".

Thats pretty sad that you cant admit this.

Between £40 million and £60 million if Keegan wants to spend it.  I wouldn't be surprised to see our current record transfer beaten 2 or 3 times in the summer if we can tempt good enough players to the club.

Ashley wants championship winning football and that is going to cost a lot of money, lucky for him he picked the right man to spend his money. Whether we win owt remains to be seen but we're going to go for it. Ashley nor KK wouldn't settle for anything less. KK  was dragged from his comfort zone to finish the job he started, that's why they are both here man - to succeed. lt's not in their makeup to settle for anything else. Ashley didn't buy us to finish in the top 10 or UEFA cup footy, he bought us to build us into something he's used to - success - and he wants to do it in style. If even half of what i've heard is true we are very lucky people...

You see, I really really hope you're both right, I just don't see why he would make statements like he did if we were about to spend that kind of money. If we spent that I wouldn't be appeased, I'd be over the moon.

Guest Knightrider

Mort's comments are a moot point anyway, or rather this debate is because KK will not buy a player to appease fans or for any other reason but to improve the team. Rest easy people.

Guest Knightrider

You see, I really really hope you're both right, I just don't see why he would make statements like he did if we were about to spend that kind of money. If we spent that I wouldn't be appeased, I'd be over the moon.

Mort is typically cautious and needs to be when above him is this excentric larger than life billionaire while below him is this dreamer of an ultra ambitious manager, and to top it all of an expectant crowd. I wouldn't read too much into his comments myself, everyone should know Ashley runs things now. KK has been cautious recently too, saying none of your top players will join someone outside the top 4 or that the Cl is out of reach, but we all know KK too well to fall for that. In jan Mort said we were only after young players then we tried to buy Woodgate...

People need to relax, we'll  spend what's needed and it will be KK who decides on what kind of player, and not Mort.

I believe fuk all that comes out of any the mouths of KK, Mort & Ashley.

Why would anyone show their cards even before the season is over? Why would they want people to know who they are going for? How much money they have to spend? What positions they see as needing filled? To upset current playing staff who they still need to do a job?

If they've got a brain between them were going to know jack shit until its done.

I'm more than happy with that.

I believe fuk all that comes out of any the mouths of KK, Mort & Ashley.

Why would anyone show their cards even before the season is over? Why would they want people to know who they are going for? How much money they have to spend? What positions they see as needing filled? To upset current playing staff who they still need to do a job?

If they've got a brain between them were going to know jack s*** until its done.

I'm more than happy with that.

They'll not let the selling club know how much we've got to spend, that would be madeness.

mate, as someone who respects your word, and i dont want to put you on the spot, but i'd truly love to hear what yo have heard. i'm over here in the USA...theres not much I hear but what I read on these boards....

3 pages later & still no answer :lol:

I'll ask again, NE5, how much do you think we'll spend this summer?

Answer in £'s please

oh dear. 400m. I don;t know I'm not Chris Mort or Mike Ashley !!!

What a question  :coolsmiley: howay mate, keep it sensible  ;D

It must be a good question because you refuse to answer it :)

what don't you understand about "how am I supposed to know"

You dont know how to give a good estimate of the clubs ambition?

yes I do, but I haven't seen the right awareness from the chairman yet, quite the opposite in fact

Whats that got to do with your estimate? In fact, if you dont think you've seen the "right awareness from the chairman", then your estimate must be pretty low....meaning you dont think the new boad will show much ambition? Yes? Is that right?

I'll put my Captain Obvious hat on here and have a guess that you dont want to estimate because it will then contradict all your "foresight" and "superior knowledge" you have of the club having been a fan for over 100 years and witnessing some "real shit boards".

Thats pretty sad that you cant admit this.

you are thompers without the death threats