Q & A: Newcastle Striker Michael Owen

Thespence

Dave - It is one of them that doesnt copy & paste well

After struggling with injuries in his return to England from Spain, it appears that Michael Owen has rediscovered his scoring touch and not a moment too soon.

His club, Newcastle United, was flirting with relegation midway through the English Premier League season when the manager, Sam Allardyce, was fired and replaced by the Geordie icon Kevin Keegan, who had led the club more than 10 years ago.

Now Owen is scoring goals (he scored twice in last week’s derby win over Sunderland and has six goals in his last 10 games) and the Magpies are unbeaten in their last six Premier League game before Saturday’s match at West Ham United in London. Newcastle is currently in 12th place and could conceivably overhaul 10th-place West Ham and end a season, which began in disaster, on a respectable note.

“Every season has a different story and if it wasn’t for the last six weeks or so, it would have been a very disappointing season,” Owen said in a telephone interview from his home outside Chester, England, just over the border in Wales. “The team was not playing well and it wasn’t every enjoyable. But when you’re winning you enjoy the game more, you get on with people better and appreciate your teammates more. The last six week, with a new manager, have been a big lift in confidence. We’ve gone on a fantastic run, without losing in the last six games and winning against our local rivals. With that, there’s now a feel-good factor.”

(Read the full transcript of the interview with Owen here.)

Owen recently signed as a worldwide spokesman for the Stanford Financial Group, a privately held global network of independent, affiliated financial services companies that is also involved with other athletes and sports including the golfer Vijay Singh; as sponsor of the 20/20 cricket tournament in the West Indies; and the St. Jude Championship, a golf tournament in Memphis June 2-8 in which Owen will participate. (He said he is an “average” golfer — an eight handicap! — and will travel to the United States for the St. Jude Championship after the English national team plays a friendly match in Trinidad and Tobago.)

Matters were dark indeed for Owen and Newcastle as recently as early January when Allardyce was fired and the Magpies went to Manchester and were hammered by United, 6-0. Keegan, surprisingly, returned for a second stint at the Newcastle helm on Jan. 16. Among his first acts was naming Owen the team captain. But the club promptly went on an eight-game winless streak in the Premier League and fell into the relegation zone.

One of Keegan’s key changes to Newcastle’s scheme was his decision to move Owen (who had scored 118 goals in 216 games with Liverpool from 1997-2004; 13 in 35 games at Real Madrid in 2004-5; and 40 in 89 games for the English national team since) from his customary striker position to a spot just behind the Mark Viduka and Obafemi Martins. Instant offense and instant success.

“We’ve been playing a formation with me roaming behind two strikers,” Owen said. “I’ve always known I can play in that position, but I’ve always been in striking position in the past. Now I’m in between the, midfielder and the attacking players. Throughout my career I’ve been and out and out attacker, a position I’ve enjoyed.

“I spoke with one of my friends who plays for Liverpool because it’s nice to get an opinion from someone else playing at a high level. He said it looks as if I can play well every game. In my new position it’s in my hands to play well, but when you’re a striker you’re solely reliant on service. If the team is not playing well you don’t get a kick, you don’t get the ball at dangerous position. Now I feel I can shape my performance like I’ve never been able to do before. It takes a bit away here and there, I might not get into box as much, but the goals have returned and, hopefully it’s a sign of things to come. I know I can almost shape the way I play.”

As the end of the Premier League season nears, Owen, who has one year left on a contract that pays him more than $20 million a year, will have a decision to make whether to extend his current deal through the 2010 season, sign a long-term contract, or engineer a transfer (Manchester City and Liverpool have reportedly expressed interest). He has tasted success at the game’s highest level, scoring one of the greatest goals in World Cup history against Argentina in 1998, scoring a buckets of goals for Liverpool, playing in Spain with Real Madrid. But he has also felt the sting of spending huge chunks of time on the sideline suffering from a laundry list of nagging injuries.

Keegan has told his star striker that management has given him a prodigious pool of money to go out and acquire new players. Owen is keen to get back to playing on a winner, a team that can compete for the Premier League title and Cups. But with Newcastle mired in the middle of the table, it is not likely that Owen and Newcastle will see any significant competition on the European continent next season.

“I can’t pretend I get satisfaction coming in 10th in the league,” Owen said. “That’s something I want to get back into my career — winning more games than losing and challenging for honors.”

Read the entire transcript of the interview with Owen below:

Q: So you’re now a global ambassador for a financial services company. Are they doing anything for you personally in terms of managing your money?

A: Yes, they are. It’s kind of a different approach, an American approach of using your money and other people’s money. It’s a bit like what’s happened in football in England. We’ve had that coming into the British game with a lot of American owners. They all are very wealthy, but there isn’t a lot of their own money up front. It’s a different way than we’re used to over in England. But, yes, what they do is appealing and I’ve invested with them.

Q: I was reading an article in an English paper that said you were pursuing a pilot’s license so you could fly a helicopter from you home near Chester to Newcastle. Is that true?

A: Well, with the newspapers in England, you know, they got half the story right. I live in Chester with my wife and three children — a 3-month-old, 2-year-old and 4-year-old — and I like to come back as much as I can. A helicopter is the only way. When I signed my deal with Newcastle it wasn’t feasible to move family there or to live at home. So I stay in Newcastle 3-4 nights a week and I’m home the other days. Yes, I use a helicopter, but I employ a pilot, whos’ fantastic.

Q: This has been an incredibly difficult season for Newcastle. A new manager in Sam Allardyce, who was fired and replaced by Kevin Keegan. A struggle against relegation. Who are you holding up?

A: Every season has a different story and if it wasn’t for these last six weeks it would all be so very disappointing. I had a couple of injuries, small injures to start the season that kept out couple of weeks. The team was not playing well and it wasn’t very enjoyable. Of course when you’re winning you enjoy more, you get on with people better and appreciate your teammates more. Last six weeks with a new manager have been a big lift in confidence. We’ve been a on fantastic run, not losing a game the last six week. Winning derby games against local rivals, which always gives you a feel good factor. I’m looking forward to next season, especially to see who the manager buys and to see if our good results carry over to next season. I think it’s something to look forward. From disappointment and a threat of relegation, we picked up results. And we could still end up in the top half of Premiership. I suppose it has not been a great season, but now at least we can look at next season with a lot of hope.

A new manager comes in and tries to change things. But you have to remember that when you change managers things aren’t rosy to begin with or else a new guy wouldn’t be coming in. Kevin came in and played the same system we were playing and that wasn’t working. We lost his first nine games and we needed to change things. So we put different players in different positions. We’ve been playing a formation with me roaming behind two strikers. I’ve always known I can play in that position, but I’ve always been in striking position in the past. Now I’m in between the, midfielder and the attacking players. Throughout my career I’ve been and out and out attacker, a position I’ve enjoyed.

Q: So you changed positions and it looks like there have been positive results. Do you agree?

A: I spoke with one of my friends who plays for Liverpool because it’s nice to get an opinion from someone else playing at a high level. He said it looks as if I can play well every game. In my new position it’s in my hands to play well, but when you’re a striker you’re solely reliant on service. If the team is not playing well you don’t get a kick, you don’t get the ball at dangerous position. Now I feel I can shape my performance like I’ve never been able to do before. It takes a bit away here and there, I might not get into box as much, but the goals have returned and, hopefully it’s a sign of things to come. I know I can almost shape the way I play.

Q: Newcastle has a pretty rabid following that always has high expectations, but there’s been little to show for those expectations over the years. Has that pressure been a problem for you?

A: If you’ve got no expectations you can always go out there with a lethargic attitude and not try or care. You could say, ‘no one expected us to win so never mind.’ You can have that attitude. I think that Newcastle fans have got the expectations of a big club, but not the silverware. The club was very close a few seasons ago under the current manager. He left for 10 years, but now he’s back and there’s a great belief he can rekindle that spark. There are not many places like this in Britain — when we’re going well there is a different feeling around stadium and the city. The club is a way of life up there. It’s a fantastic place to be when you’re winning. Just fantastic.

Q: There has been much speculation the last few weeks about your future in Newcastle, especially since you’ve started to find the back of the net. So, will you stay with the Magpies?

A: In football terms, when you finish your contract you become a free agent and can go for nothing. I’ve only got one year left on my contract, but the club has said they want me to sign an extension. I haven’t spoken with them yet and we’ll see what happens when we sit down for talks. The manager pulled me aside recently and said he wants me to stay. We’ll see what happens. I have plenty of different options at this stage of my contract. The club has made every indication, even the chairman has said he will speak to my agent. They’ve made every indication they want to speak to us soon. Before this we were having a bad season and we were all looking over our shoulders. Now that we’re safe from relegation and have won some games I’m sure they will contact us in the not so distant future.

Q: There’s been so much talk about the relative lack of English players in top European teams. You played at Real Madrid for a few years. What do you think the reasons are for there not being many English players at top clubs on the continent?

A: There are a couple of reasons, and they have to do with the money. Right now in England, we’ve got the best league, and the most popular around the world. It probably pays the highest wages, so the players don’t need to travel for the money. And it’s part of the reason why the Prem entices so many good foreign players to England. With the exception of a couple of Spanish and Italian teams — Real Madrid, Barcelona — then you’re talking eye of needle stuff to go to one of these teams. You have to be one of best players in the world to be attractive to the top teams and you’re only looking at 10-15 guys who are possibly good enough to play in Barcelona or Real.

Recently, you’ve had myself, David Beckham and Jonathan Woodgate going to Spain, but there’s no point going to mediocre team in Spain when a mediocre team in England probably pay more money and you’re still at home. There are only a few players around who can better themselves by going to Barcelona, and you’ve got to be a top players in the first place to be one of them.

Q: So why did you leave Real Madrid and go back to England?

A: I really enjoyed the football side and I think I adapted more easily than some of English people who have played aboard. In Spain, the tempo slows a little bit, it’s a bit easier after always being so rushed in the E.P.L. In England, if you’re not used to it it can be hard to find your feet at times. In a lot of ways it’s easier for us to go there. In that sense I enjoyed the football. Where I failed is that I never enjoyed things off the pitch. My wife was never happy, she missed home and my child, who was only 3, always wanted to go home. I suppose, when you get down to it, we were not as happy we could be at home. I’m a home boy. When I’m not happy off the pitch I’ve found it difficult. In Spain, I did enjoy the experience — I scored a few goals, the fans liked me, it was a good experience. I tested it out and I definitely knew that the Prem is the place I wanted to spend the rest of my career.

Q: Is it difficult for you right now to be sitting there and watching three other English teams play in the semifinals of the Champions League?

A: Yes, it is difficult in a certain way. Of course you want to be the best you can be in your career experience. With Liverpool and Real Madrid I was playing in big games, winning Cup and challenging for league titles. I can’t pretend I get satisfaction coming in 10th in the league. That’s something I want to get back into my career — winning more games than losing and challenging for honors. Newcastle can be that club if can get on a wave and buy a few players. I have to say that when things are going well in Newcastle there’s a feel good factor there like none other. There’s a buzzing, it’s vocal. But yes, I certainly get a bit envious.

But I also think you have to look at the whole package — how you feel, do you enjoy football training, do the fans like you, the ambition of the club, then you decide whether to sign the contract. It has to be right because at 28 it’s probably one of last long contracts of my career. It has got to be right, everything.

Q: You mentioned your age, 28. Thinking about the national team, England has not qualified for Euro 2008 and now the focus has turned to World Cup qualifying. There’s a new coach in Fabio Capello. Do you think you still fit in to his plans?

A: Since I’ve been 18 I’ve been in every single squad when I’m available. I do see a future in international football. I’m only 28 and I can still score goals. The new manager Capello picked me both times to be in squad in his very early days. We’re still getting over the disappointment of not being in Europe, which is not a very good thing. There’s no way we shouldn’t have qualified, there were some bad slipups, but you’ve got to build to the World Cup two years away. Obviously there’s not a settled squad, everyone is try to impress. We play the U.S. at Wembley in May and obviously I want to be playing, but you can never take it for granted.

Q: How do you feel about watching Euro on TV?

A: It’ll be weird, no doubt about it. I was injured for quite a large part for qualification and missed most of the start. Of course it was frustrating not to qualify, to get beaten twice by Croatia home and away. It’s difficult to look at our team and rest of the teams and believe that we’re not good enough to be there. But you just have to bite your lip.

Q: Do you follow the game in the States much?

A: Certainly since likes of David Beckham has gone over to America, like anything involving and English guy in the U.S. we follow the news over here and now get to watch more highlights of American soccer. Football is growing in American, maybe not as popular as other sports. I know M.L.S. is gaining in popularity expect more players to come over here.

The player who spring to mind are Landon Donovan. I knew of him before David went to the Galaxy. I played against them when we toured the U.S. with Real Madrid. Obviously, in the Premership there are the American keepers — Brad Friedel, Tim Howard, Kasey Keller, Marcus Hahnemann. A lot of quality. I’ve seen [Clint] Dempsey at Fulham and [brian] McBride scores a lot of goal.

Q: Off the topic, I wonder if you’ve seen that funny puppet show with Jose Mourinho and Sven-Goran Ericksson, “I’m on Setanta Sports.” Only asking because they have the voice of a guy, “David” from Newcastle, who keeps asking silly questions and jokes about Ameobi, who I know played at Newcastle and is now out on loan.

A: Ah, no, I’ve never seen it, although I do have Setanta. Ameobi is on loan at Stoke and if they get promoted he will stay at Stoke, if they, he comes back to Newcastle. If you say it’s so funny, maybe I’ll have to check it out.

"Ameobi is on loan at Stoke and if they get promoted he will stay at Stoke, if they, he comes back to Newcastle. "

Come on Stoke!

I know bluelaugh.gif

I liked the times he said "There are not many places like this in Britain — when we’re going well there is a different feeling around stadium and the city. The club is a way of life up there. It’s a fantastic place to be when you’re winning. Just fantastic."

&

Newcastle can be that club if can get on a wave and buy a few players. I have to say that when things are going well in Newcastle there’s a feel good factor there like none other. There’s a buzzing, it’s vocal.

Q: There has been much speculation the last few weeks about your future in Newcastle, especially since you’ve started to find the back of the net. So, will you stay with the Magpies?

A: In football terms, when you finish your contract you become a free agent and can go for nothing. I’ve only got one year left on my contract, but the club has said they want me to sign an extension. I haven’t spoken with them yet and we’ll see what happens when we sit down for talks. The manager pulled me aside recently and said he wants me to stay. We’ll see what happens. I have plenty of different options at this stage of my contract. The club has made every indication, even the chairman has said he will speak to my agent. They’ve made every indication they want to speak to us soon. Before this we were having a bad season and we were all looking over our shoulders. Now that we’re safe from relegation and have won some games I’m sure they will contact us in the not so distant future.

So....... are you staying at Newcastle then Michael? ???

Guest Sam04je

"Ameobi is on loan at Stoke and if they get promoted he will stay at Stoke, if they, he comes back to Newcastle. "

Come on Stoke!

Looks like Stoke are getting promoted! Looks like hes staying!

"But I also think you have to look at the whole package — how you feel, do you enjoy football training, do the fans like you, the ambition of the club, then you decide whether to sign the contract. It has to be right because at 28 it’s probably one of last long contracts of my career. It has got to be right, everything"

interesting part of the interview imho seems to tick all those boxes ,wonder weather it depends on the quality of the incoming or another club closer to his home coming in for him .