Limit on Foreign Players

Guest ObaStar

People do realise he's not JUST talking about the Premier League don't they? Because it doesn't seem so from a lot of the posts so far. A lot of people have a persecution complex IYAM.

If it means a more competitive Europe as a whole, rather than every half decent player moving to one of the bigger leagues, then it can only be a good thing for football in general even if it "weakens" our league slightly.

People do realise he's not JUST talking about the Premier League don't they? Because it doesn't seem so from a lot of the posts so far. A lot of people have a persecution complex IYAM.

If it means a more competitive Europe as a whole, rather than every half decent player moving to one of the bigger leagues, then it can only be a good thing for football in general even if it "weakens" our league slightly.

Agree UV, in theory is is a good idea.

An example of this issue in real life is dross like Eboue keeping out Walcott. Shouldn't happen.

I dont mind it, you cant stop the free movement of people applying a trade.  I dont want to watch a team of Peter Ramages.

English league seems to have the most money so the johny fucking foreigner is shitting his fuckng pants as all the best players will end up here.

And rightly so, we have more football teams then any other country.  Its a way of life in this counrty.

Fuck the cunts, they werent squeeling when the Italian league had its boom period.

I'm not bothered about the rest of Europe, he's doing it to weaken the Premiership, nothing else.

I think the 39th game that the Premiership tried to bring about has caused this, he's seen the English game trying to expand and is worried that FIFA and UEFA might lose some power if the Premiership gets too strong.

With Blatter it's all about self preservation.

So do you think its purely coincidnce that this initative will effect mainly our leagues and leave most the other major leagues in Europe unaffected?

I dont, Blatter and Platini have made it clear in the past that they dont like our league. Even the reduction of CL places is aimed mainly at us and not for the benefit of the competition although its painted that way.

Why should we compromise the strength of our league? Although im not exactly estactic about the monopoly the top4  have on the league, they have all got there (bar Chelsea) on their mertis and only there merits, rememeber Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal all started on an even keel with many of the maojor clubs in Europe, the lieks of Arsenal and Liverpool mauybe even behind.

Blatter and Platini hate the EPL. They're just worried at how powerful the premiership has become. Teams around europe are not going to be able to compete with teams in the premiership in a few years, something that could seriously damage the reputation of the CL. The money in the premiership is unbelievable now, and it's no surprise that these two mugs are trying anything to stop the dominance.

Guest Sniffer

I dont mind it, you cant stop the free movement of people applying a trade.  I dont want to watch a team of Peter Ramages.

English league seems to have the most money so the johny f****** foreigner is shitting his fuckng pants as all the best players will end up here.

And rightly so, we have more football teams then any other country.  Its a way of life in this counrty.

f*** the c***s, they werent squeeling when the Italian league had its boom period.

I don't want to watch a team of amdy fayes.

THe amount of money in English football is scaring foreign teams and owners, they dont want it to go back to the days when English clubs won everything.

They will win the Champions league this seaon, How many english players will play in the Final?

Between 10 and 12 probably, England will be represented in the final far more then any other single nation.

Guest BudBud

I would like to see a set up that says 3 eligible for a home nation and 1 lad that spent at least 2 years in the academy

good idea imho.

Why? Club and international football are two completely different kettles of fish. Look at how sh*t Man Utd did in the Champions League when they had a similar ruling back then. They had to play players like Gary Walsh or Kevin Pilkington ahead of Schmeichel, Terry Cooke rather than Keane. F*cking stupid idea tbh.

yeah but there does seem something in the idea that the countries producing the best players winning things at club level.

Is that what international football's for though, Madras?

i can understand your point but when temas are putting out 11's that are totally foreign it just seems wrong so maybe if teams had to play so many from their home country the prices for average players would rocket so maybe they'd put more care into developing their own.

i'd be more radical and give clubs 5 years notice and say 5 players from each starting 16 (though i beleive 18 is on its way) have to have come through the ranks (in this case from 16 yrs old)

Remember seeing a quote from Walter Smith or Gordon Strachan recently about that. In Scotland, I think 2 of the 7 subs have to be Under 21 and Scottish. Whichever one of the two it was who was speaking was critical of the ruling saying it meant that he had to name 2 players who didn't particularly deserve to be in the squad, and they were getting a bit above themselves and cocky because they were going round with the attitude that they'd "made it". Basically what he was saying was that instead of having to work their a*ses off in training to prove a point, he had to pick them anyway. Now imagine having to pick 6 Englishman in the team? I think you'll get a lot of the same. Instead of having to work harder in training to prove to the manager that they deserve a chance, they'll be getting picked by default anyway. Not sure how that's going to benefit the national sides.

that sounds like an excuse. surely it's easy for the manager to say to those kids that they haven't made it, that they are only there for that reason and they have to prove to him they are worthy of staying there or he can easy get another couple to fill those places.

Pretty sure he was whinging at the time because he wanted to name Hemdani on the bench for a league game but couldn't because he had to stick one of the kids there.

As  others mentioned it's completely aimed at trying to preserve FIFA/UEFA power base, they are petrified that the PL will become too powerful.

The Foreign interest in our league is scaring them silly, in a lot of countries their own domestic leagues play a poor second fiddle to the PL.

To be perfectly honest I don't give a damn about other leagues, it's all about the development of our Premiership as far as I'm concerned. I want to see the best players in the world playing in the best league (hopefully wearing Black and White stripes).

If Blatter was coming from a angle of protecting the small leagues from the mean and overly powerful Premiership, then I would probably understand his point. But to be hiding behind the development of local youth and the national teams is nonsensicul.

If the english talent is good enough, they will get the opportunity, if it's not they won't, simple as. How can it be bad for a local youngster to want to aspire to be as good as a Ronaldo or Torres, who play for their favourite teams as oppossed to a Bramble or a Franny Jeffers. The appearance of these world stars in our league only encourages local talent rather than suppressing it.

On a side issue, how the hell would this work for the welsh clubs in our league or Berwick playing in the scottish league ? Would Cardiff have to field 6 welsh qualified players in every game, would an English player be classed as a foriegner or would it be the other way round and they would have play 6 English qualified players with the Welsh being classed at foreigners ?

You would find a lot of players scanning their parentage for some English blood, the national teams for the rest of the UK would suffer greatly as no one who is dual qualified would commit to any other home nation than England.

Self interested motivated crap from Blatter yet again. FIFA and UEFA need an overhaul IMO, it is no bad thing that the PL is challenging them and giving them something to worry about.