Kenny Dalglish

Tooj

I know his hands were tied with trying to balance the books and selling Ferdinand was a big mistake...but I remeber the football being awful under Dagleish!!!

the football was awful due to shearers and asprillas long term injuries. those two infront of hamman,solano and thomasson would have quite good to watch.

I know his hands were tied with trying to balance the books and selling Ferdinand was a big mistake...but I remeber the football being awful under Dagleish!!!

the football was awful due to shearers and asprillas long term injuries. those two infront of hamman,solano and thomasson would have quite good to watch.

Was also due to the way Dalglish set us out to play.

Kenny Dalglish has dismissed talk linking him with a shock return to Newcastle United.

Recent reports have suggested that the former Magpies boss was among the candidates to replace Kevin Keegan at St James' Park on a short-term basis.

Newcastle's hierarchy are searching for a new manager following Keegan's controversial resignation earlier this month.

Dalglish, who spent less than two years in charge at Newcastle between January 1997 and August 1998, has ruled out any return to Tyneside.

"Nobody from the club has contacted me and I won't be returning," Dalglish told the Evening Chronicle.

"It's sad that things have gone wrong at Newcastle, but the next manager will not be me."

Was also due to the way Dalglish set us out to play.

i don't agree. i doubt with solano,an attacking minded tomasson,hamman and gary speed on the left with shearer and asprilla up front we'd have been set up too defensivly.. obviously the set up had to be different with rush and ketsbaia/tomasson up front.

• 2 years later...

Asprilla: Dalglish destroyed United's title bid

He told the Chronicle: “When Dalglish was at the club, one of his ideas was to sell a few players – and one of them was me.

“After I showed my full potential Dalglish changed his mind and kept me.

“But he sold Beardsley, Ginola and Ferdinand and a few others.

“Who knows what would have happened if we’d have kept those three players.”

Asprilla reckons that the side that Dalglish inherited from Kevin Keegan needed tinkering with and nothing more.

He said: “I was sad to see Dalglish destroy the team – and our hopes of winning the league in the 97/98 season.

“The team that Keegan built was designed to fight for the title.

“The team was great.

“We needed a new keeper and we got one in Shay Given but he didn’t even play him that much.

“Maybe we needed new centre-backs but the offensive side of the team was fantastic.”

Asprilla enjoyed a great bond with Keegan, even though the communication barrier caused plenty of problems.

Read the rest

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/02/09/asprilla-dalglish-destroyed-united-s-title-bid-72703-28140527/