Other clubs' transfers

Dave

One year left on it. He's either:

a) Putting himself in the shop window and looking to generate interest (more interest if you believe the rumours of Tottenham and Man Utd being interested in him already) on the biggest footballing stage (mind, not sure how much he can do with the team he's in), or;

b) We're not meeting his wage demands, rightfully or wrongly. I'd assume he'll want to be in line with the top earners at the club and he's got a point there.

what is the upper limit of evertons wage structure? id say a mix of a and b tbh

Pienaar was mentioned on the Football Ramble this week. Some guy emailed in after he'd had a conversation with him in a club (following the Ireland - South Africa match). Pienaar said:

1) He wishes he was from Ivory Coast because 'South Africa are rubbish'

2) He hasn't seen his bank account since going to Everton and tells his assistant whenever he wants something.

3) He has a fantasy league team called 'Steven's Bitches' but didn't pick himself, otherwise he'd always be shooting on sight.  ;D He did put Tim Cahill in, though.

La Liga should be exciting next year now that Villa has gone to Barca.

1 Barcelona     38 31  6  1  98-24  99

2 Real Madrid   38 31  3  4 102-35  96

3 Valencia      38 21  8  9  59-40  71

And then imagine Valencia without Villa on top of that.

:facepalm:

There was one game at the weekend that didn't mean anything.

The title went down to the last day with 2 fantastic teams.

The European places from 4-6 went down to the last day, as did all the relegation places, not one team was relegated until the final day, and the team in 16th ended up going down.

Compare it to the Premiership where everything apart from 1 decision was decided before the last day. Less exciting? No chance. Less competitive in terms of the top 2? Yes, of course.

Ok, the Villa deal is official now. €40m seems the final amount, which is better than the €50m quoted yesterday morning.

Our DoF has appeared on the Catalan tv to again say that Zlatan Ibrahimovic "is not for sale". He also downplayed the Cesc rumors.

Ok, the Villa deal is official now. €40m seems the final amount, which is better than the €50m quoted yesterday morning.

Our DoF has appeared on the Catalan tv to again say that Zlatan Ibrahimovic "is not for sale". He also downplayed the Cesc rumors.

Okay so if for the sake of argument we'll take Txiki on his word and that Ibra is not for sale, how the hell are all these attacking options going to possibly fit into one line-up?

Villa - Ibra - Messi?

Or maybe Villa and Ibra upfront and Messi playing in behind as trequatista (he drifts into that role alot anyway). Either way that's going to be ridiculously harsh on Pedro/Bojan. I just can't see Ibra staying, because the likelyhood is he's going to be on the bench, and if that's the case then the money that is being paid to Ibra is simply not economically for a subsititute.

How do you feel about the Villa signing, dissapointed with the money you're spending bein similar to Madrid's transfer policy? or just generally excited by the possibilities of next season?

The European places from 4-6 went down to the last day, as did all the relegation places, not one team was relegated until the final day, and the team in 16th ended up going down.

Compare it to the Premiership where everything apart from 1 decision was decided before the last day. Less exciting? No chance. Less competitive in terms of the top 2? Yes, of course.

Obviously the Prem is by no way fantastic in terms of competitiveness but in the next couple of seasons, if teams strengthen, we should go in with at least 4 teams having a shout at the title (Chelsea, Man U, Arse, City).

As for the competitiveness in La Liga outside the top 2, the only reason for that is because the majority of teams are absolutely shite.

I'd bet the lower teams in La Liga would make mince-meat of some of the dross in the bottom half of the Prem. Just because the gulf between the top 2 and the rest is huge, doesn't mean the rest are completely shit.

Obviously the Prem is by no way fantastic in terms of competitiveness but in the next couple of seasons, if teams strengthen, we should go in with at least 4 teams having a shout at the title (Chelsea, Man U, Arse, City).

As for the competitiveness in La Liga outside the top 2, the only reason for that is because the majority of teams are absolutely s****.

I don't understand your 2nd point, the rest of the teams outside the top 4 in Spain are superior to the rest of the teams outside the top 4 in England...

I'd bet the lower teams in La Liga would make mince-meat of some of the dross in the bottom half of the Prem. Just because the gulf between the top 2 and the rest is huge, doesn't mean the rest are completely s***.

Exactly.

As for the competitiveness in La Liga outside the top 2, the only reason for that is because the majority of teams are absolutely s****.

I don't understand your 2nd point, the rest of the teams outside the top 4 in Spain are superior to the rest of the teams outside the top 4 in England...

Disagree. Mallorca, Getafe, Villereal, Bilbao v City, Everton, Villa, Liverpool if we take 5-8.

Disagree. Mallorca, Getafe, Villereal, Bilbao v City, Everton, Villa, Liverpool if we take 5-8.

Mallorca would probably beat them all at home but over two legs it would be a different matter, Villareal would beat any of those teams over 2 legs I reckon, hard to tell which Bilbao would turn up but I would fancy them to beat Villa and Everton over two legs and give a good showing v Liverpool and City, Getafe probably the same...

At the end of the day take a run of the mill La Liga player and put him in a low-level English team and they'll struggle to adapt (Borja Valero). However this doesn't indicate the quality of the teams is stronger in England, because put lower-level English teams against lower level Spanish teams and the Spanish teams would pass them off the park. They're just technically and tactically far superior.

At the end of the day take a run of the mill La Liga player and put him in a low-level English team and they'll struggle to adapt (Borja Valero). However this doesn't indicate the quality of the teams is stronger in England, because put lower-level English teams against lower level Spanish teams and the Spanish teams would pass them off the park. They're just technically and tactically far superior.

The English teams would work hard though. :lol:

Well that ain't true.

Well that ain't true.

I think it is, when was the last time you saw a mid table English team play something other than 4-4-2 or 4-5-1?

Well that ain't true.

I think it is, when was the last time you saw a mid table English team play something other than 4-4-2 or 4-5-1?

These are the formations that work for them. The likes of Fulham, Stoke will play a 4-5-1 at home to a top side and stand a chance. From what i've seen of La liga this season, when a bottom half side is playing Madrid/Barca they will still attempt to play attacking and get slaughtered.

Well that ain't true.

Even 4-4-2 is becoming a rarity. There's never any dynamism or fluidity to football in England. 1 man upfront and grafting midfielders the order of the day.

Purely as an example, I'd expect us to beat all those teams mentioned at home and I don't see why we'd get beat at any of them away. Mallorca perhaps.

I'd expect you to get beat at San Mamés. And you underestimate Getafe and Villarreal.

Purely as an example, I'd expect us to beat all those teams mentioned at home and I don't see why we'd get beat at any of them away. Mallorca perhaps.

I'd expect you to get beat at San Mamés. And you underestimate Getafe and Villarreal.

I'm not saying we'd go there and beat them but over 2 legs I don't see why we'd get beat by any of them, given one-off 2-legged ties, assuming we play 'well'. Villarreal would probably cause us most problems. Obviously, I'm biased.

Spain has also dominated the Uefa Cup this decade. Hardly possible if everything outside the top 2 was s***.

You only had one team in the semi finals this year, we had two, and they are both s****.

If they qualified for the UEFA Cup that makes your league shit then :)

We have 4 wins and 6 finalists in the past 10 years.

I'm not saying we'd go there and beat them but over 2 legs I don't see why we'd get beat by any of them, given one-off 2-legged ties, assuming we play 'well'. Villarreal would probably cause us most problems. Obviously, I'm biased.

On a side note I'd love to see Athletic playing English sides more often, they are by far the most British side in Spain.