Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Valencia has signed Mehmet Topal from Galatasaray, pending a medical in the following days. The fee is rumoured to be €5m. I remember him being in Euro 2008, but that's pretty much it. Didn't Everton chase him after the tournament?

Also Bánega linked with a move to Liverpool. Like last season, Valencia are rumoured to need to sell most of their stars in order to avoid administration (although last season they ended up not selling anybody).

Villa is probably the most complete striker in the world. I know folk will disagree, but he has pace, power, intelligent movement, excellent finishing, a FEARSOME shot and he's got a decent header on him aswell.

Get rid of Ibra, you won't need him if you have Villa...

the one thing you didn't mention there, and it was something i was wondering about actually, is villas all round game outside the box - i.e. he's not likely to be playing in a standard 4-4-2 at barca and anyone in that team has to have a lot to their game, he can't just be a striker i mean

the midfield have good workrate as well as their other abilities, the forwards can all play as well as score as they're mostly not traditional forwards, villa is more of a traditional striker

i've simply not seen enough of villa to say he's got an all round game in terms of being able to play as well as tear defences up for arse paper

anyone?

On paper, Valencia have an excellent side. Every time I see them play on Sky though, it's always Villa who seems to be pulling the strings for them. Always looks a sound footballer, very sharp, and has enough ability to trick/beat a player when wide or having dropped off. He'll add some quality finishing power for them, that much is obvious, but I think he'll have no problems fitting in at Barca and contributing to their attacking play by linking up with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, etc.

The downside with Barca signing him imo, aside from as VI says his age, is that although he's relatively "nifty" (one of those players who can be be deceptively quick at times), with Ibrahimovich up front and Messi operating a bit deeper, or Pedro mixed in somewhere, they'll lack the genuine powerful/pacy running up front of an Eto'o or Henry from 2 seasons ago. Villa's not the type of naturally athletic player able to carry the ball over a distance. Maybe that won't matter if they're scoring for fun, but then again who knows. It's possible that they've suffered this year without Eto'o's pace and with Henry having diminished quite a bit, but it's been masked and covered for by Messi's phenomenal form.

David Villa would give us something that we lacked this season, which is a guaranteed goal threat/match winner apart from Leo Messi. Zlatan's form has been bad since January, and this left Messi as the only dependable goal source, as Henry's form has been just terrible. We also had Pedro's emergence, but a lad that played in the Spanish third flight last season should *not* be the second highest scorer of the team.

He is old, but the advantage to that is that he is the finished article and proven in La Liga. He is also a very smart player so I believe a loss of pace wouldn't affect him immensely, so I think he still has 3 years at the top. We have a couple good young attacking players in Bojan and Pedro so if we don't spend Zlatan-like money on Villa I wouldn't be worried about signing him (last year Valencia valued him at €50m).

That said, if we signed Torres instead I'd be over the fucking Moon.

And in what's the official beginning of what will be the most tiresome transfer saga of the summer, El Mundo Deportivo claims that Cesc has told his family that he's going to play for Barça next season. My brother actually knows Cesc's family so I'll phone him tomorrow and ask him to check.

I have to say that all these transfer rumors are a bit uncomfortable. If true, a "lame duck" president like Laporta should not be using the transfer funds of the club, potentially curtailing the plans of the new president. Laporta is a c***, however, and since the next president is very likely going to be his arch-enemy Sandro Rosell he's going to try to undermine him (not only Madrid have stupid board politics, we are Spanish afterall).

Diario As reports some details regarding Higuaín's stalled new contract with Real Madrid. He is asking for €4m (which is not even a third of what Cronaldo gets) and yet Madrid are offering just €3m.  :facepalm:

(Yeah, I'm reading the Spanish sport newspapers before going to bed)

Guest Stephen927

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1277895/Tottenham-Chelsea-stage-friendly-bid-offload-fringe-players.html?ITO=1490

Tottenham and Chelsea sparked a transfer free-for-all on Wednesday by staging a behind-closed-door friendly, specifically to offload players.

The game, at Tottenham's training ground, was attended by scores of managers and scouts from Championship and League One clubs, all eager to snap up a bargain or agree a temporary transfer for some of the younger players on view.

Most eyes were on Chelsea left-back Ben Gordon and Tottenham midfielders Dean Parrett, John Bostock and Jake Livermore, who are all available on loan, after their managers, Carlo Ancelotti and Harry Redknapp respectively, decided they would benefit from the experience of first-team football next season.

'The response was incredible,' said one onlooker. 'Just about every manager from the Championship and League One turned up, and there were even one or two from lower Premier League clubs.'

Sounds like a great idea for the young lads, impress some other managers in an environment they're comfortable in.

Valencia has signed Mehmet Topal from Galatasaray, pending a medical in the following days. The fee is rumoured to be €5m. I remember him being in Euro 2008, but that's pretty much it. Didn't Everton chase him after the tournament?

Also Bánega linked with a move to Liverpool. Like last season, Valencia are rumoured to need to sell most of their stars in order to avoid administration (although last season they ended up not selling anybody).

We were linked with Topal for a bit but I'm not sure how much truth was in it.

Banega was supposed to come on loan in the summer though. We'd got a work permit for him before Valencia pulled out.

We were linked with Topal for a bit but I'm not sure how much truth was in it.

Banega was supposed to come on loan in the summer though. We'd got a work permit for him before Valencia pulled out.

Banega really turned a corner last season and was fanastic with Valencia. Prior to last season he was all over the place (hence being offered out on loan), poor at both Valencia before being shipped out to Atletico and not impressing at all there either. Looks to have finally found his feet but I am not sure if the Premier League is a good fit for him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1277895/Tottenham-Chelsea-stage-friendly-bid-offload-fringe-players.html?ITO=1490

Tottenham and Chelsea sparked a transfer free-for-all on Wednesday by staging a behind-closed-door friendly, specifically to offload players.

The game, at Tottenham's training ground, was attended by scores of managers and scouts from Championship and League One clubs, all eager to snap up a bargain or agree a temporary transfer for some of the younger players on view.

Most eyes were on Chelsea left-back Ben Gordon and Tottenham midfielders Dean Parrett, John Bostock and Jake Livermore, who are all available on loan, after their managers, Carlo Ancelotti and Harry Redknapp respectively, decided they would benefit from the experience of first-team football next season.

'The response was incredible,' said one onlooker. 'Just about every manager from the Championship and League One turned up, and there were even one or two from lower Premier League clubs.'

Sounds like a great idea for the young lads, impress some other managers in an environment they're comfortable in.

The match wasn't to offload players, it was effectively a reserve team match, Spurs pulled out of the Reserve League to have more matches like this that would hopefully challenge the players more.  That said, managers/coaches/scouts from Championship and League 1 were there with a view to long loans for next season and there were a lot there.  None of those who played apart from Sam Cox are going to be released, well, not this summer at least.  Livermore wasn't even playing, he was there watching.

Spurs won 5-3

Teams:

SPURS      v      CHELSEA

4-4-2                4-4-2

5(3)              3(0)

Lawrence Thomas 1 Niclas Heimann

Adam Smith 2 B. Clifford

Nathan Byrne 3 Jeffrey Bruma

Dean Parrett 4 Liam Bridcutt©

Calum Butcher 5 Patrick Van Aanholt

Steven Caulker© 6 Conor Clifford

Paul-Jose M'Poku 7 Jacopo Sala

Ryan Mason 8 Nemanja Malic

Jonathan Obika 9 Gael Kakuta

John Bostock 10 Josh McEachlan

Andros Townsend 11 Jacob Mellis

12 Daniel Philliskirk

Simon Dawkins 13 Walker    61Mins.

Olumide Durojaiye 14 Ben Gordon

79Mins.              46Mins.

Jake Nicholson 15 Pirez

79Mins.          46Mins.

Sam Cox 16 Rohan Ince

79Mins.

Massimo Luongo 17

79Mins.

Oscar Jansson 18

Scorers:-

Obika 5, 20, 34, 70    Mellis 67

Bostock 76                Kakuta 81

Bruma 86

Guest Stephen927

A fair few won't make it though, so to get their name and ability out there can only be good for them, a few names will stick in the mind when the time comes for renewals.

How was pulling out of the Reserve League been for Spurs this season? Thought it was a good idea when they did it.

Kakuta or Bruma on loan please

From what I've seen and read they'll be warming the bench for Chelsea a fair bit next season. Especially with this homegrown rule.

Guest Roger Kint

Kakuta or Bruma on loan please

From what I've seen and read they'll be warming the bench for Chelsea a fair bit next season. Especially with this homegrown rule.

Guess it depends how much Ancelotti spends over the summer. Both would do well like

A fair few won't make it though, so to get their name and ability out there can only be good for them, a few names will stick in the mind when the time comes for renewals.

How was pulling out of the Reserve League been for Spurs this season? Thought it was a good idea when they did it.

I think it's worked well.  Actual development matches have been up and down as you'd expect with what is basically a bunch of youngsters often playing older wiley players but a lot have gone out on loan and come back every 2 weeks to be assessed and play one of these games.  Steven Caulker at Yeovil has come back massively improved,  a Championship team for him next season if he doesn't join the Spurs first team squad.

The match wasn't to offload players, it was effectively a reserve team match, Spurs pulled out of the Reserve League to have more matches like this that would hopefully challenge the players more.  That said, managers/coaches/scouts from Championship and League 1 were there with a view to long loans for next season and there were a lot there.  None of those who played apart from Sam Cox are going to be released, well, not this summer at least.  Livermore wasn't even playing, he was there watching.

Spurs won 5-3

Teams:

SPURS      v      CHELSEA

4-4-2                 4-4-2

5(3)              3(0)

Lawrence Thomas 1 Niclas Heimann

Adam Smith 2 B. Clifford

Nathan Byrne 3 Jeffrey Bruma

Dean Parrett 4 Liam Bridcutt©

Calum Butcher 5 Patrick Van Aanholt

Steven Caulker© 6 Conor Clifford

Paul-Jose M'Poku 7 Jacopo Sala

Ryan Mason 8 Nemanja Malic

Jonathan Obika 9 Gael Kakuta

John Bostock 10 Josh McEachlan

Andros Townsend 11 Jacob Mellis

12 Daniel Philliskirk

Simon Dawkins 13 Walker    61Mins.

Olumide Durojaiye 14 Ben Gordon

79Mins.              46Mins.

Jake Nicholson 15 Pirez

79Mins.           46Mins.

Sam Cox 16 Rohan Ince

79Mins.

Massimo Luongo 17

79Mins.

Oscar Jansson 18

Scorers:-

Obika 5, 20, 34, 70    Mellis 67

Bostock 76                 Kakuta 81

Bruma 86

You really are a sad cunt.

Guest palnese

Looks like Phil  Bardsley is off to West Brom. I reckon Hutton is going to the mackems on a permanent basis.

I'd take Zuiverloon if he's going.

Not a lot better than Simpson. If we're going to sign a new right-back (which we need to) we should go for someone who has a lot of Prem experience, aged 26+.