Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Guest tuppence

Why are people getting scared of Spurs signing Gomes, he's no better than Robinson and will make more howlers this season than Shay has made in his career. 9 million pounds for a liability of a goalkeeper is crazy.

Spurs have had more false dawns than us.

They actually win stuff tho.

F**k me they have revamped their team and we've done nothing but the Spears kid. Come on Mikey, get your wallet out man. 

I suppose that's the hard bit for a Newcastle fan to take as there never is a great difference in the two clubs, Newcastle have fallen just short in the Premiership and the FA Cup, while Spurs, never challenging for the League, have picked up the occasional bit of silverware.  I think the fans' views would have changed a lot had Newcastle won one of the the FA Cups, one cup success can generate a lot of optimism for following seasons.  It's the 'we've done it once, we can do it again' thinking, not 'is it possible to win something this year?'

As for revamping the squad, I'm surprised, I thought the Newcastle management would have done a lot more than they have.  Maybe not so much that no-one for the first team squad has been signed but the lack of links to players who may be added.  I'm not rubbing at old sores but Gomis looked poor in the Euros and Arshavin now looks to be completely out of reach, so does Turan.  But are £15m players (give or take) really what Newcastle need when the squad overall needs significant improvement?  My view, rightly or wrongly, is that Newcastle needs to adopt a Portsmouth approach, a bigger squad mainly made up with experienced freebies or players costing around the £7m mark. Diarra, Muntari, Kranjcar, Utaka, Defoe and Johnson individually look decent enough but put together they're a lot more effective than the sum of the individuals.

As for the Spurs squad, there still seems to be more work in progress with a solid DM, Bentley and 1 or 2 CD's left on the list (plus a new striker if Bent moves on).  The pleasing thing from the Spurs point of view is that Ramos wanted most of the new purchases to be made before the start of pre-season training so they could bond together better and, so far, that's been happening.

For the opening day of the season, the team could look something like:

Gomes

Hutton  -  Woodgate  -  King/New  -  Bale

New/Zokora

New/Lennon                                   Dos Santos

Modric

Keane                        Berbatov

Subs:  Pick 7 from:

Alnwick  -  Gunter  -  Gilberto  -  Dawson(?)  -  Zokora  -  Malbranque  -  Jenas  -  Huddlestone  -  O'Hara  -  Bent

Diarra is still the #1 pick for DM, whether he can prised away from Pompey is another thing, Bentley has to tell Ince to his face that he wants away before that can progress and the list of CD options is almost as long as the GK list prior to Gomes' arrival.  I'm happy with how it's gone so far.

That midfield lookslike one that will be good at home but will get trampled all over away especially playing with two very attack minded full backs. Tottenham, as with last season, be a good team to watch.

For away games I think it's quite likely for Ramos to go 4-4-2 and leave Gio out in favour of a more defensive minded MF.  If we did happen to sign Diarra for example, I could imagine Diarra and Zokora (or Jenas) being in the centre of MF with Modric on the left and Lennon possibly being replaced by Malbranque, depending how much defensive capability was needed for a particular match.  With the option of Gilberto and Bale being the LB/LM pairing for some matches, I think there's a lot more flexibility  than has been previously.  Doesn't mean to say we'll win more games though!

Why are people getting scared of Spurs signing Gomes, he's no better than Robinson and will make more howlers this season than Shay has made in his career. 9 million pounds for a liability of a goalkeeper is crazy.

Conceding 23, 25, 18 and 24 league goals in his 4 seasons at PSV is very respectable in any league and far better stats that Robbo has achieved.

Other notable stats are:

Gomes has kept clean sheets in 60% of his appearances for PSV in the Eredivisie, a percentage that no other keeper has bettered in the league's history.

He once went 971 minutes without conceeding a goal (between 14/08/2004-12/12/2004) - the second longest period in Eredivisie history. He's since notched up further shut-out streaks totalling 956 and 817 minutes.

He holds the record for the highest number of shut-outs at the start of the Eredivisie season (5).

While stats aren't everything, his record suggests he is a significant upgrade on Robbo, there's no doubt in my mind that Spurs would have beaten PSV in the Uefa Cup last season had the two goalkeepers swapped sides.  Incidentally, the fee as disclosed by the Dutch was €9m, not £9m.

Guest kingdawson

Spurs have had more false dawns than us.

They actually win stuff tho.

F**k me they have revamped their team and we've done nothing but the Spears kid. Come on Mikey, get your wallet out man. 

But have they really revamped their team over the past two years?

Seems that they still have the traditional Spurs traits:

Slightly dodgy keeper (Don't think Gomes is that good personally)

Decent defenders on paper, dodgy in practice

Pretty but weak midfield

Decent but eratic forward line.

They've bought some really good players over the past 12 months, some of whom I would have loved to see here, but its been a like for lke replacement in terms of the type of player they buy.

mackems.gif

Spurs need a monster DM and a world class DC and then they are going to be in serious contention.

A decent Gattuso-esque destroyer figure. Anatoly Tymoschuk would be perfect imo.

Guest kingdawson

Spurs need a monster DM and a world class DC and then they are going to be in serious contention.

A decent Gattuso-esque destroyer figure. Anatoly Tymoschuk would be perfect imo.

Nah Angelo Palombo would be ideal.

Guest sondre

Johan Elmander will sign for Bolton today according to Swedish media. £8m they say....so he's probably Phil Gartsides "unnamed striker".

We should be in there imo.

Johan Elmander will sign for Bolton today according to Swedish media. £8m they say....so he's probably Phil Gartsides "unnamed striker".

Has signed for undisclosed fee

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3747201,00.html

Should be a good signing for them. After all, he got Toulouse into the Champions League the other year, and was troubled by injuries this season. His Euro performance is of no interest since he played on the wing for some reason. He has also shown his ability on a higher level when he scored against Spain and had a terrific all round performance against them last fall. Good signing for Bolton!

Elmander is a good player, and even if he is not the best player of all time its kind of worrying that we didnt even check him out.

I wonder what kind of players we are actually looking for.

16 years old long hair and blond youths?

How do you know that?