Comolli Sucks

KaKa

What's the general opinion of Keegan these days still in Germany? As a footballer I mean? Like is he still loved at Hamburg? Always been intrigued by it, never realised why I've never asked you all of this before.

What's the general opinion of Keegan these days still in Germany? As a footballer I mean? Like is he still loved at Hamburg? Always been intrigued by it, never realised why I've never asked you all of this before.

He's actually not that well known anymore down here. He means nothing to the younger generations and the older ones often barely remember him playing for Hamburg - especially as the bigger successes at Hamburg came post-Keegan. Especially Tony Woodcock probably is better known, as he worked later in Germany again while Keegan is only remembered from his spell as English national manager, but not from his playing days for HSV.

He's actually not that well known anymore down here. He means nothing to the younger generations and the older ones often barely remember him playing for Hamburg - especially as the bigger successes at Hamburg came post-Keegan. Especially Tony Woodcock probably is better known, as he worked later in Germany again while Keegan is only remembered from his spell as English national manager, but not from his playing days for HSV.

:(

Yes, I can see it now. 

Modric: "Hmmm, Spurs are offering me European football and life in London, which I like.  However Newcastle once broke the world Transfer record and are historically a 'bigger' club.  F**k it that's settled then, make a Geordie out of me."

ok, you don't believe in the club, and you're happy with mediocrity and 2nd rate standards.

Hope you put on record you agreed with Jimmy Greaves the other week, and all the other London journos who agree with him.

****'s sake, give it up NE5 - you're a broken record, but more importantly, you don't have any perspective on things: do you still think we're in 95/96?  NUFC and THFC are pretty similar in terms of 'who is the bigger club'?  In post-war times, we have the bigger stadium/fanbase etc, they have the better trophy record.  Yes, we were bigger than them from the early/mid 90s up to a few seasons ago.  They were bigger than us in the 80s - by your logic of believing that clubs are only as big as their last 10 years, why weren't all the Spuds moaning about how they weren't beating us to players in the mid 90s?

The fact is, we had a great period in the mid-to-late 90s, but within the last 3 or 4 years the pendulum has swung slightly back in their favour again - that's not to say that it won't come back round to us in future (or that we shouldn't do everything we can to get that swing happening asap), but if you think that 1) we're a more attractive proposition than Spurs at the minute, or 2) we're a lot bigger than them overall, your black-and-white specs have been welded to your face.

There's nothing to say that having ambition to get back to the top has to be mutually exclusive with realistically realising that we're slightly below them in the pecking order at the moment, or indeed that either NUFC or THFC can definitively claim to be a bigger club (in general, not at a specific point in time) in the modern era.

I think those slating the old board for qualifying for europe and the Champions League to be broken records.

I think those making excuses for missing out on our transfer target [which clearly hasn't pleased the manager] to be broken records.

Is a broken record only broken when it doesn't agree with you ?

I'm only saying that we are bigger than Spurs, and I believe that. We always were, up until the 1960's, when our own dark days began, and fairs fair, they had their own particular golden era and a team that won the Double etc.

I think that the only club bigger than us is manure, and its nowt to do with wearing black and white specs at all. They are the only club in the country who would beat our crowds if we had half the success some of the others have had ie Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea.

That said, I know why the club was shit when it was, and I know when we buy shit players, and say so. Thats not wearing black and white specs either.

Nah, he's still talked about in Hamburg. Mrs P's dad especially.

Yeah I know about his status in Hamburg, but it's all going downhill the further you move south.  :weep:

Yeah I know about his status in Hamburg, but it's all going downhill the further you move south.  :weep:

That's fair enough. What is beginning to hurt a little is Mrs P's dads romance with Spurs.  :dave:

I think those slating the old board for qualifying for europe and the Champions League to be broken records.

I think those making excuses for missing out on our transfer target [which clearly hasn't pleased the manager] to be broken records.  

Didn't refer to any of those things when I called you a broken record, you've brought them up yourself.  I was referring to your oft-repeated sentiments that other football clubs should only be compared in terms of size/worthiness to achieve things to the Newcastle side of the late 90s - as fun as they were, we're not there any more and I don't think you're ready to accept the situation of the club as it is.  No one is saying that means we can't want the best for NUFC as soon as possible, but to believe we're more of a pull than Spurs at the moment is just sheer refusal to look facts in the face, IMO.

I'm only saying that we are bigger than Spurs, and I believe that. We always were, up until the 1960's, when our own dark days began, and fairs fair, they had their own particular golden era and a team that won the Double etc.

I was going to say, well you can believe that we're bigger than Spurs in general if you want to (though I guess most true neutrals wouldn't really put either club ahead of the other), but then I saw:

I think that the only club bigger than us is manure, and its nowt to do with wearing black and white specs at all. They are the only club in the country who would beat our crowds if we had half the success some of the others have had ie Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea.

I'm sorry, but end of discussion.  Don't care what you have to say to reply to this post, it's not a valid answer for me.  If you think that NUFC are a bigger club than [most League Championships] Liverpool just for starters (note, that's NOT a measure of whether one likes Liverpool any more than one does Newcastle), then you clearly have no idea what a big club is and there is no point in further discussion with you.

I'm sorry, but end of discussion.  Don't care what you have to say to reply to this post, it's not a valid answer for me.  If you think that NUFC are a bigger club than [most League Championships] Liverpool just for starters (note, that's NOT a measure of whether one likes Liverpool any more than one does Newcastle), then you clearly have no idea what a big club is and there is no point in further discussion with you.

But we've got a bigger stadium than them. :lol:

But we've got a bigger stadium than them. :lol:

:lol:

i don't think it is as simple as saying Modric chose Spurs cos they are a better prospect, european football, more high profile manager. from everything i've read it seems he had little to no part in where he ended up and the negotiations were done by the Mamic brothers who represent both Dinamo and the player himself.

Modric himself said "On Friday, the president of Dynamo Zagreb called me to tell me he had agreed a deal with Tottenham that was perfect for me. At first, I was very surprised, then a few seconds later, I was proud over the prospect of coming to England." hardly sounds like he made the decision based on the above criteria, more like he had the decision made for him by other people for other reasons.

I wouldnt bother - apparently you'd be kidding yourself into thinking that this transfer was anything else but clear cut....

You see, there you go getting it wrong again.

I honestly dont know how the deal was conducted but one thing im near enough certain about, is that Modric does not have a minimum release clause in his contract. Hardly any club in the premiership operates in that way, and our stingy owners wont have that one bit.

See, usually when people use the phrase "wrong again" it implies that i made a mistake in the first place - care to point out where you proved me wrong?

See, what makes me laugh about this post is that you start by making with a definite statement - "getting it wrong again" then go on to say "I honestly dont know how the deal was conducted".

You're mistaking me for someone who thinks there definitevely is a minumim fee clause in the deal, i was just saying that what James said was perfectly viable and pointed to the fact that this deal wasnt as clear cut as many people would like us to believe. Modric wasnt part of the negotiations in fact he openely said he didnt choose where to go...now add that to the fact that we've supposedly offered more to the mamic brothers and modric and you start to wonder what it was about the spurs deal that the mamic brothers liked so much.

Dont kid yourself into thinking that the Mamic brothers were willing to take a smaller offer for the benefit of there clients career.  Think about it.

point is that Newcastle United are a bigger club than Spurs - as everyone said when Jimmy Greaves said the opposite - so I don't accept that - in spite of them being slightly better for the past few years [for the first time in a while] we can't beat them to our transfer targets. There is obviously a problem with how we are selling the club. As for Modric being told he had to sign for Spurs, thats a load of crap, no big money players like that sign for clubs they don't want to sign for. He preferred Spurs to us for some reason, or his club preferred Spurs' cash instead of ours.  People are making out that Spurs are more well known than us. Well, they aren't. We have played in europe far more than they have in the last 15 years. We have signed big players, played in the Champions League, bought a player once who broke the world Transfer record, and have a manager who is well known everywhere.

Is that gospel? Becasue i could think of 2 big players which would collapse that particular house of cards.

i don't think it is as simple as saying Modric chose Spurs cos they are a better prospect, european football, more high profile manager. from everything i've read it seems he had little to no part in where he ended up and the negotiations were done by the Mamic brothers who represent both Dinamo and the player himself.

Modric himself said "On Friday, the president of Dynamo Zagreb called me to tell me he had agreed a deal with Tottenham that was perfect for me. At first, I was very surprised, then a few seconds later, I was proud over the prospect of coming to England." hardly sounds like he made the decision based on the above criteria, more like he had the decision made for him by other people for other reasons.

I wouldnt bother - apparently you'd be kidding yourself into thinking that this transfer was anything else but clear cut....

You see, there you go getting it wrong again.

I honestly dont know how the deal was conducted but one thing im near enough certain about, is that Modric does not have a minimum release clause in his contract. Hardly any club in the premiership operates in that way, and our stingy owners wont have that one bit.

See, usually when people use the phrase "wrong again" it implies that i made a mistake in the first place - care to point out where you proved me wrong?

See, what makes me laugh about this post is that you start by making with a definite statement - "getting it wrong again" then go on to say "I honestly dont know how the deal was conducted", You're mistaking me for someone who thinks there definitevely is a minumim fee clause in the deal, which i dont, i was just saying that its perfectly viable and pointing out the fact that this deal isnt just a simple case of the Mamic brothers choosing an inferiro deal for the benefit of the player - thats plain bollocks.

It must be clear to anyone with a bigger body mass than an ant the Spurs offer was advantageous to M's advisors and had little to do with M.

No, no. Modric going to Spurs was entirely down to Ashley forbidding Keegan from taking him to the boot room caravan and explaining that Newcastle qualified for the Champions League about a quarter of the player's lifetime ago.

Fixed

Didn't refer to any of those things when I called you a broken record, you've brought them up yourself.  I was referring to your oft-repeated sentiments that other football clubs should only be compared in terms of size/worthiness to achieve things to the Newcastle side of the late 90s - as fun as they were, we're not there any more and I don't think you're ready to accept the situation of the club as it is.  No one is saying that means we can't want the best for NUFC as soon as possible, but to believe we're more of a pull than Spurs at the moment is just sheer refusal to look facts in the face, IMO.

I was going to say, well you can believe that we're bigger than Spurs in general if you want to (though I guess most true neutrals wouldn't really put either club ahead of the other), but then I saw:

I think you need to distinguish the difference between "bigger club" and "more successful club" to be honest.

If you can't do that there is no point in further discussion with you.

As an aside, I just don't get these assertions from so called Newcastle United supporters that they are inferior to certain clubs, a sentiment that the current manager shares.

But maybe thats the problem ie they are making excuses for losing out on transfer targets like Modric.

I certainly don't consider Newcastle United to be an inferior club to Liverpoll [less successful yes] but if you do, thats your problem.

I think you need to distinguish the difference between "bigger club" and "more successful club" to be honest.

If you can't do that there is no point in further discussion with you.

As an aside, I just don't get these assertions from so called Newcastle United supporters that they are inferior to certain clubs, a sentiment that the current manager shares.

But maybe thats the problem ie they are making excuses for losing out on transfer targets like Modric.

I certainly don't consider Newcastle United to be an inferior club to Liverpoll [less successful yes] but if you do, thats your problem.

Has anybody said that?

What excuses are being made for not signing Modric?

I know you didn't answer the question about that boot room in Huddersfield where Shearer and Keegan held talks, thanks for reminding everybody else though.   :thup:

no names then ?

BTW, Keegan has said on numerous occasions he believes in getting players face to face in a "room" and assessing them. Similar to a job interview. I presume you know what a job interview is  mackems.gif

No names to substantiate what you say in my link then ? What a shame you are trying to tell people that we have always attracted good players when finishing in the top half of the old first division 5 times in 30 years ?

Must have been some good players to do that  mackems.gif

Unbelievable. What a waste of space you are.