Chris Mort's departure confirmed. Derek Llambias is new Managing Director.

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NE5 have you worked out the difference between what people say and do. yes mort said that but the only player we know they  actually went for (woodgate) doesn't really fit into that does it ?

sometimes people put far too much into interviews, disecting each sentence and making out they are hard and fast rules.

And Wes Brown.

NE5 have you worked out the difference between what people say and do. yes mort said that but the only player we know they  actually went for (woodgate) doesn't really fit into that does it ?

sometimes people put far too much into interviews, disecting each sentence and making out they are hard and fast rules.

do you mean judge them on when they do what they say they will do ie buy nobody in January ?

I agree that you shouldn't ALWAYS judge people simply on what they say, there are a number of examples over the years .....

do you mean judge them on when they do what they say they will do ie buy nobody in January ?

I agree that you shouldn't ALWAYS judge people simply on what they say, there are a number of examples over the years .....

yet boro and woodgate admitted we outbid spurs on fee and terms.

so they say   bluelaugh.gif

so they say  bluelaugh.gif

walked into that didn't I ? ;D

so they say  bluelaugh.gif

walked into that didn't I ? ;D

you certainly did mate  bluelaugh.gif

Asked about their New Year transfer plans, Mort responds: “We had nine new signings in the summer . . . I think part of the difficulty we’ve had – particularly in defence – is getting those guys working together.

“I’m not convinced adding another two names in defence is necessarily going to be the solution this season.

“If I made any signings in January, they’d be young guys who I could see staying for a very long time, not immediate first-team regulars.”

This is what he actually said and I think he was quite right not to give Allardyce any more money until he could show he could work with what he had, looking at that it looks like Allardyce wanted to bring in even more defenders even though he was chopping and changing the back four every other week and playing a left winger at left back leaving his £6 million signing out completely.

Of course when Keegan came in that restriction changed and he felt he needed a new defender so the club were only happy to make a move for Woodgate, the only problem was he had agreed to join Spurs so it was more of a hijacking attempt (in Keegan's words) rather than us being in with a serious chance.

Guest Knightrider

He's leaving because he's sick of KK phoning him asking him to phone Ashley to ask some questions before phoning KK back with the answers. Apparently.

Asked about their New Year transfer plans, Mort responds: We had nine new signings in the summer . . . I think part of the difficulty weve had particularly in defence is getting those guys working together.

Im not convinced adding another two names in defence is necessarily going to be the solution this season.

If I made any signings in January, theyd be young guys who I could see staying for a very long time, not immediate first-team regulars.

This is what he actually said and I think he was quite right not to give Allardyce any more money until he could show he could work with what he had, looking at that it looks like Allardyce wanted to bring in even more defenders even though he was chopping and changing the back four every other week and playing a left winger at left back leaving his £6 million signing out completely.

Of course when Keegan came in that restriction changed and he felt he needed a new defender so the club were only happy to make a move for Woodgate, the only problem was he had agreed to join Spurs so it was more of a hijacking attempt (in Keegan's words) rather than us being in with a serious chance.

Makes a lot of sense and i agree with Mort. Was driving me mental that Allardyce was after Wes Brown (of all people, ffs) - when it was quite clear that we had some very good defenders who simply needed a run of games. And look, after conceding 4,5, 6, a run of games together and they got 5 clean sheets in 8 games, or something.

Asked about their New Year transfer plans, Mort responds: We had nine new signings in the summer . . . I think part of the difficulty weve had particularly in defence is getting those guys working together.

Im not convinced adding another two names in defence is necessarily going to be the solution this season.

If I made any signings in January, theyd be young guys who I could see staying for a very long time, not immediate first-team regulars.

Makes a lot of sense and i agree with Mort. Was driving me mental that Allardyce was after Wes Brown (of all people, ffs) - when it was quite clear that we had some very good defenders who simply needed a run of games. And look, after conceding 4,5, 6, a run of games together and they got 5 clean sheets in 8 games, or something.

I'd say a lot of  that as well is down to the tactics employed by KK due to us now having outlets up top which is taking the pressure off the defenders, rather than us trying sit back and gain yards etc that XXXXL Sam liked to do. But I do get what you're saying mate.

He's leaving because he's sick of KK phoning him asking him to phone Ashley to ask some questions before phoning KK back with the answers. Apparently.

Why would he say he never spoke to him if he actualyl does? Or is Keegan being clever?

Guest Knightrider

He was making a joke, asked by the reporter what's his relationship like with the owner, he said great, I don't speak to him. Of course the press picked it up as KK not even having Ashley's number, yet the two are out in Newcastle having a meal every now and again and obviously speak to one another.

I'd say a lot of  that as well is down to the tactics employed by KK due to us now having outlets up top which is taking the pressure off the defenders, rather than us trying sit back and gain yards etc that XXXXL Sam liked to do. But I do get what you're saying mate.

Absolutely, which is why the defense will improve further if we get a really good attacking centre-mid. It's another one of the things (this attacking approach that you're on about), that Allardyce would never have dared to do. Inconsistent selection + no attacking outlets = :thup:

He was making a joke, asked by the reporter what's his relationship like with the owner, he said great, I don't speak to him. Of course the press picked it up as KK not even having Ashley's number, yet the two are out in Newcastle having a meal every now and again and obviously speak to one another.

So i take it Ashley invited him down south to tell him how good his joke was?

just possible they may have wanted to meet to talk over the summer's transfer moves.

just possible they may have wanted to meet to talk over the summer's transfer moves.

So you have it down as pretty much a coincident?

Im not sure i do to be honest - at first i read it as a joke as well but the manner in which it was said and the context of the subsequent message made me think otherwise.

Im not sure i do to be honest - at first i read it as a joke as well but the manner in which it was said and the context of the subsequent message made me think otherwise.

yes that comment i took as a joke but the meeting  well.....i'd have been more concderned if the heirarchy didn't meet before the window opens.

yes that comment i took as a joke but the meeting  well.....i'd have been more concderned if the heirarchy didn't meet before the window opens.

Thiz is it though - i thought they had already met about transfer targets and that they'd swapped lists for keegan to scout and Wise and Co to pursue, what else needed discussing to the extent that he had to bring forward a press conference and censor the questions in said conference.

Thiz is it though - i thought they had already met about transfer targets and that they'd swapped lists for keegan to scout and Wise and Co to pursue, what else needed discussing to the extent that he had to bring forward a press conference and censor the questions in said conference.

what else needed discussing ?

i'd much prefer it if they met at least once a week to discuss developments etc

what else needed discussing ?

i'd much prefer it if they met at least once a week to discuss developments etc

Yeh, i can see the sense but it brings up this whole "run from london" debate, in the sense that how feasible is it to arrange weekley meeting whilst based in a city 300 miles away and whilst yo're supposed to be on scouting missions.

Why did they hold the meeting in London if Ashley and Mort were in Newcastle that evening for Sir Bobby's bash?

maybe it was the one day they could get everyone together in the same place.

on the other hand why would ashley wait till he got keegan to london to kick his arse ?

Why did they hold the meeting in London if Ashley and Mort were in Newcastle that evening for Sir Bobby's bash?

maybe it was the one day they could get everyone together in the same place.

on the other hand why would ashley wait till he got keegan to london to kick his arse ?

Its obvious.  He's scared of geordies.