Please explain this to me.

Mike

I'm a relatively new fan of the club, so a lot of the recent history is unknown to me, but I was watching some clips of Hugo Viana and I just can't understand how that didn't work out.

What the hell happened there?

I know that youtube clips can make anyone look like Pele, but he certainly didn't look useless.

What happened in that game?

He got played out of position and had an absolute nightmare.

Although when we first signed him did look quite the player, especially when playing out of position in place of the injured Robert, but then not playing for a while and being thrusted back in at the deep end with a Speed who was starting to look leggy to say the least never helped his cause. But he's done nothing since he's left us to say we regretted the sale. Sublime left foot on him though, he couldn't half pick a pass.

IIRC we had a corner (were attacking anyway) and Hugo was sitting deep in midfield, the ball broke away onto about the halfway line and he totally bottled a header with one of their midfielders, ten seconds later they'd scored. That might not be entirely correct, I attempted to drink enough that night to blot the memory out.

He got booed onto the field in his next game.

I remember a friendly (?) England played against Portugal (after we'd sold him I think?) when he came on as a sub and looked fucking brilliant. Pinging the ball about for fun.

IIRC we had a corner (were attacking anyway) and Hugo was sitting deep in midfield, the ball broke away onto about the halfway line and he totally bottled a header with one of their midfielders, ten seconds later they'd scored. That might not be entirely correct, I attempted to drink enough that night to blot the memory out.

He got booed onto the field in his next game.

I was drowning my sorrows with trebles into the student hole that is Dobson's that night. I actually had a similar haircut to Hugo's at the time as well. Oh dear.

Never really got a chance because we had Robert but he had a lovely free kick on him too. Scored two in two weeks at the back end of one season.

As Tooj says though, since leaving us, he's done absolutely fuck all. Is he in the Euro 2008 squad?

A mixture of being too lightweight for the league and being misused by the management. he was played on the left wing too much when he preferred the centre. he was also made the scapegoat of our failings in the uefa cup when most of the side was poor, admittedly he was one of the worst. Souness didnt fancy him so after a loan spell away moved on from the club. Could have been good imo, but wasnt to be.

Ah.

Gotta stay away from youtube clips, then.

It was killing me that we apparently sent scouts to Portugal and came back with Viana instead of Ronaldo or Quaresma. Realized I really didn't know anything about him so I looked at some videos. Came away even more confused.

Ah.

Gotta stay away from youtube clips, then.

It was killing me that we apparently sent scouts to Portugal and came back with Viana instead of Ronaldo or Quaresma. Realized I really didn't know anything about him so I looked at some videos. Came away even more confused.

I remember watching him in the U-21s European Championships a few weeks (months maybe?) before we signed him and he was the Portuguese stand out player by a mile. The game against England he tore us apart.

Mind, Massimo Maccarone was the Italian star so us and the Smogs both got done in the end.

EDIT: fuck off Tooj.

I'm a relatively new fan of the club

How new?

Late 2005 was the first match I ever watched. Souness was the first manager I knew of.

The Owen/Shearer partner with N'Zogbia playing some fantastic football, brings back a few memories but not all of them good.

As for Viana, he was pushed out onto the left wing to cover Robert because he was a little lightweight for the middle, he didn't really have the heart for the battle either like Fabregas, shame it didn't work out but I'm glad the club are looking to bring players like this in again.

Guest sondre

I think it was Young European player of the year?

Yes he was. Believe we were looking at Ronaldo too at the time, but we went for Hugo. Ahh well.

Yes he was. Believe we were looking at Ronaldo too at the time, but we went for Hugo. Ahh well.

Aye, and I remember we beat alot of big clubs to sign Viana in particular Juventus at the time

As for Ronaldo, I don`t think Ronaldo would have developed the way he has at Man u if he came here especially with the managers we`ve had. And even if he did I don`t think he would`ve stayed long with the likes of Real Madrid etc sniffing around all the time.

Guest sondre

Aye, and I remember we beat alot of big clubs to sign Viana in particular Juventus at the time

As for Ronaldo, I don`t think Ronaldo would have developed the way he has at Man u if he came here especially with the managers we`ve had. And even if he did I don`t think he would`ve stayed long with the likes of Real Madrid etc sniffing around all the time.

Probably true, but I still think we'd be getting more, both football-wise and cash-wise if we'd chosen him. You don't think he'd develop under SBR?

Probably true, but I still think we'd be getting more, both football-wise and cash-wise if we'd chosen him. You don't think he'd develop under SBR?

At the time, SBR probably would have been near the top of the list of managers in Europe to bring Viana along.  You just never can tell...

Guest sondre

At the time, SBR probably would have been near the top of the list of managers in Europe to bring Viana along.  You just never can tell...

I agree, sadly i seldom see us getting the better of such deals.

I remember a friendly (?) England played against Portugal (after we'd sold him I think?) when he came on as a sub and looked f***ing brilliant. Pinging the ball about for fun.

Yep, Andy Gray was even drooling over him that day. Was superb.