Jermaine Beckford

KaKa

We have been linked with Jermaine Beckford again, as was the case during the January transfer window.

Could he be Keegan's Andy Cole version 2008?

I really haven't seen enough of the guy but I'm sure quite a lot on here have. Anyone care to share? What is his  game all about? Would he be worth bringing in on the cheap, along with another striker, as a wild card to see if he can develop into something?

Surely he can't be worse than either Shola or Smith and therefore could at the very least be a decent backup.

Thoughts?

Ive met him a couple of times, he was my cousin's ex's roommate (beat that Martin Jol), just after he signed for Leeds. He was a right pretty boy, and really up his own arse. Would be another Dyer or Carl Cort if he came here.

Only seen clips of him as a player, scored some cracking goals, albeit in League 1. Scored loads aswell, althought its probably because he's in a Leeds side who are a class above the rest of League 1 imo.

Ive met him a couple of times, he was my cousin's ex's roommate (beat that Martin Jol), just after he signed for Leeds. He was a right pretty boy, and really up his own arse. Would be another Dyer or Carl Cort if he came here.

Only seen clips of him as a player, scored some cracking goals, albeit in League 1. Scored loads aswell, althought its probably because he's in a Leeds side who are a class above the rest of League 1 imo.

He scored loads for Scunny too, although they were dominating that league at the time. He'd do a job at championship level no worries, but not in the Prem. Very skillful, quick feet, works hard, but not great at holding the ball up.

Scunthorpe tried to sign him at the end of last season, but because Leeds were controlled by the administrators at the time we couldn't. Was absolutely gutted (he was a hugely popular player at Scunny) but I can't see him making the step up at all.

He's never looked anything other than average on the few occasions I've seen him.

hes s**** league 1 at best and that comes from a leeds fan i know

Leeds fan at work says he's ok, but they should cash in on him while they can.  That would make me stay well clear.

That Dickinson from Scunthorpe looked a decent player yesterday.  Not good enough yet but maybe one for the future.  He certainly had the physical attributes.

So you haven't actually seen enough of him but still think he can't be any worse than Shola & Smith? Another KaKa classic, Jesus wept.

Let me put it this way ... I have seen enoguh to know that he has some serious pace and more ability with the ball at his feet than Shola and Smith combined. Considering he is also about 6 ft 2 it's an interesting range of skills he has. I haven't seen enough of him over a full 90 to know what his commitment and attitude are like though.

Smith and Shola in my opinion just don't have much you can work with. No pace, no skill, no presence ... absoultely nothing.

Those are the facts.

He's never looked anything other than average on the few occasions I've seen him.

Leeds fan at work says he's ok, but they should cash in on him while they can.  That would make me stay well clear.

That Dickinson from Scunthorpe looked a decent player yesterday.  Not good enough yet but maybe one for the future.  He certainly had the physical attributes.

Who?

ah that's not good, i bet he'd try to get tesco closed too so he could get the last hot & spicy sausage and roast chicken from the hot deli counter.

We have been linked with Jermaine Beckford again, as was the case during the January transfer window.

Could he be Keegan's Andy Cole version 2008?

I really haven't seen enough of the guy but I'm sure quite a lot on here have. Anyone care to share? What is his  game all about? Would he be worth bringing in on the cheap, along with another striker, as a wild card to see if he can develop into something?

Surely he can't be worse than either Shola or Smith and therefore could at the very least be a decent backup.

Thoughts?

No,no,no.

Hmmm ... kind of dissapointing to hear. So many young british players seem to get held back by this attitude unfortunately. The guy was on Chelseas books at one point wasn't he? But somehow ended up in non-league football before making it back into League one.

If only more of these guys had the right attitude. When you look at someone like Theo Walcott you just know it is likely to work out really well for him because he just seems to have his head on right.

Who?

I meant Stockport obviously.  It's easy to get your shitty lower league teams mixed up ;)

i watched beckford at brunton park the year before, and he was truly awful, looked like he had come straight out of non league

he has however had a good season this year goal wise, hes obviously improved since ive seen him, but in terms of quality for the premiership? youve got to be joking?

its a simple and easy story for the press to make up

dennis wise - ex leeds manager - our DOF tries to sign a explayer whos had a good season - theve just linked two things together

its such a easy story to create

He's lightning quick but that's about it. Makes the wrong decisions a lot of the time and teamwork is definitely not a plus point for him. Hope we don't go near him with a barge pole.

Guest diddimz

Cant say ive seen much of him at all, maybe one clip really.Cant see keegan signing a 2008 version of andy cole though, speaking to a mate whose a leeds fan though says he is nowt special and the best they can hope for is a bit of cash for him after a decent season.

Guest Knightrider

My mate follows Leeds and says he has a lot of attributes but doesn't quite know how to put them all together to one combined use, stating he's erratic, inconsistent and very frustrating given his talent. Also says he has confidence issues and doesn't have the best of attitudes. I wouldn't mind the club bringing in such players from the lower divisions myself, almost no risk with those type of players and I'm a firm believer that opportunity can bring out hidden talent, some players from these divisions could be stars if someone takes a chance on them, and more importantly develops them in the right way.

I had an interesting discussion with a lower league academy coach a few months back and the general theme of the discussion was that there is an abundance of talented players playing lower down the leagues and the main reasons why they can't get out is confidence (knocked back too many times, therefore play within themselves), bad habits as a result of poor coaching (unable to develop new and improved techniques or step up a level), and the biggest of all - lack of opportunities - due to too many footballers getting through and but it's diluting the talent pool and players these days have to be extra extra special to stand a chance. Sadly there are not many extra special players about, not even at Premiership academies.

I have to say I agree with you completely coach. I personally love the idea of taking a punt on a few of these guys, especially as they cost next to nothing.

Beckford from the little I have seen of him appears to have some impressive attributes, especially considering his height and stature.

In Keegan we also have a manager who excels in getting the best out of people especially when it comes to instilling some confidence in them and so it would suit us quite well.

Not saying we should sign him, but I don't think these types of players should be dismissed so quickly.

That goal he scored for Scunthorpe that won goal of the season was unbelievable and Christiano Ronaldo would have been very proud of a goal like that. Outrageous skill.