Magpies hope French connection reaps rewards

Baggio

NEWCASTLE UNITED are casting an eye over the respected Toulon tournament as the club's new scouting system looks to unearth some hidden gems for Kevin Keegan's squad.

Members of the Magpies' ever-growing talent-spotting team - including head of recruitment Jeff Vetere - have been in the south of France over the last eight days watching some of the world's rising stars.

The eight-team competition comes to a close tomorrow and there is a belief on Tyneside that many of the players on show are available at affordable prices.

advertisement

Chile, Japan, Italy and the Ivory Coast all reached the semi-finals in the competition and Holland impressed in stages in front of the huge throng of scouts from clubs across the globe.

And while Keegan has openly admitted that targeting South American-based players is off the agenda, he will consider European-based players of whatever nationality.

It is Newcastle owner Mike Ashley's desire to recruit with the potential for future sales, unlike previous expensive purchases made under the former regime.

The trip to Toulon is further indication of the work in progress, although there has been little movement on the transfer front and Keegan's first addition of the summer appears no nearer to being sealed.

Toulouse midfielder Achille Emana has emerged as the latest player considered by Newcastle.

The 25-year-old Cameroon international is being courted by Sevilla, Real Betis and West Ham and would cost somewhere in the region of £5.5m.

But while Emana has been considered, he is one of many names which is also thought to include Olympiacos' 22-year-old defender Vassilis Torosidis.

Another was Le Mans midfielder Stephane Sessegnon and sources in France claim the 23-year-old's advisors have informed Newcastle he is keen to make the move to St James' Park.

It does, though, seem that while the players are evidently on Newcastle's radar, there has been no decision made on which of their possible targets should become a priority.

It is widely known that Newcastle have already made their interest known to Galatasary that they would like to sign Arda Turan.

With Newcastle unwilling to meet the valuation put on Turan's head by the cash-strapped Istanbul club, the Premier league outfit are weighing up their options before tabling an official offer.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/news/display.var.2300591.0.magpies_hope_french_connection_reaps_rewards.php

Krul looked pretty good when Holland were still in it.

France were unbelievably shit.

Chile vs Italy in the final. Japan were impresseive, the kid from Celtic and Morimoto being the ones that stood out the most for me.

Italy should win it all, they look like a senior squad at times.

Guest VegasToon

I was lucky enough to catch a few games.  That article will hopefully calm everyone down about this summer.  The transfer window hasn't even begun.

Guest NUFC4

although the ivory coast lost to chile i was very impressed with a couple of their young talents.  mostly their left wing back....cant come up with the name at the moment but he plays somewhere in romania

Guest shearer_206

although the ivory coast lost to chile i was very impressed with a couple of their young talents.  mostly their left wing back....cant come up with the name at the moment but he plays somewhere in romania

This.

I thought their LB was outstanding.

Wouldn't get a work permit unfortunately.

I remember watching le Toulon in 1997. Danny Murphy and Michael Owen were up front and Murphy looked the more complete package.

Is it not the guy who plays for rosenborg?

Traore or Konan Ya. none of them very big in norway, but decent.  Traore the most promising of the both, as he tends to play the wingback, as well as wing.

Our readers also confirm that the club is represented at an U23 friendly tournament being staged in Sweden, where the host nation are facing the Netherlands, Portugal and a French side that includes Charles N'Zogbia.

It is Newcastle owner Mike Ashley's desire to recruit with the potential for future sales

That certainly could have been worded better.

So does Ashley just intend to be the new Kia Joorabchian then?

Guest NUFC4

Traore or Konan Ya. none of them very big in norway, but decent.  Traore the most promising of the both, as he tends to play the wingback, as well as wing.

no i think his name is djakba and the announcers said he was at some obscure romanian team

I remember watching le Toulon in 1997. Danny Murphy and Michael Owen were up front and Murphy looked the more complete package.

I'm sure if Arsenal were interested he'd get one based on being an 'exceptional prospect'  :rolleyes:

Guest battyleespeed

Wishful thinking tbh.  Ashley should give Keegan the money he needs to sign experienced players that will improve us immediately rather than think business wise and buy "assets" whose value might increase in the coming years. Otherwise the club will continue to flirt with relegation yet again.  Once that is done go look for the youngsters with the spare cash.

I'm sure if Arsenal were interested he'd get one based on being an 'exceptional prospect'  :rolleyes:

they`d just send them to their feeder club in Belgium for a few years until they qualify for a visa or Belgian passport as they did the likes of Eboue . I know what you mean though

they`d just send them to their feeder club in Belgium for a few years until they qualify for a visa or Belgian passport as they did the likes of Eboue . I know what you mean though

The agreement with Beveren was scrapped a couple of years ago, around the same time as there were investigations going on into the arrangement.