freddy adu...

womblemaster

ohh tetchy )

tbh i expected a more competativegame,but i guess thier playershad been sittingontheir lardy arses all summer longand wereout of condition.

I guess in yankvile the problemis that american football/basketball/baseball attracts all the really good sporty types, and footballis left with the dross.

Guest MagicNumber9

so we aint that good, i coulda told you that pre-match. f*** off

But seriously though, why not just stick to Baseball, or American football?

Guest Stephen927

Lawrenson thought he was the boyo last night, "Much Adu about nothing"

mackems.gif

Wouldn't even bother getting the Womens team involved, Sister Agatha's Children of the Poor orphan reserve XI could beat the USA's mens team. 

FFS we couldn't string together three passes, our crosses not only didn't beat the first man every time, they dribbled to a stop at his feet and our close control belied either long standing inner ear problems or severe mental retardation. 

The only high point was listening to the commentators struggle for 90 minutes to pick up any positives for a US audience, hoping to somehow drum up and help build support here in the states.

Roll on 08/09, summer can't be over quick enough.

edit:  Harsh, but fair.  THe only thing worse than watching the MNT is watching the mongoloid throngs in face paint and uncle sam hats chanting "U! S! A!"  Couple that with our shit team and it just pisses me off to no end.

Guest guinness_fiend

In 15 - 20 years time the US will have one of the best teams in the world.

Who do you think they will?

Not likely.

Why do you think they will not?

Who do you think they will?

Not likely.

Why do you think they will not?

How Long have people been saying this thou rofl.

After USA 94 they where going to take over the world in a few years 13 years later, still waiting lol

Guest gggg

That's what people have been saying since they beat England in the 50's. I'm still waiting for them to produce one top class outfield player, never mind a whole team of them. I don't see anything changing in the next 20 years at all tbh.

Wouldn't even bother getting the Womens team involved, Sister Agatha's Children of the Poor orphan reserve XI could beat the USA's mens team. 

FFS we couldn't string together three passes, our crosses not only didn't beat the first man every time, they dribbled to a stop at his feet and our close control belied either long standing inner ear problems or severe mental retardation. 

The only high point was listening to the commentators struggle for 90 minutes to pick up any positives for a US audience, hoping to somehow drum up and help build support here in the states.

Roll on 08/09, summer can't be over quick enough.

edit:  Harsh, but fair.  THe only thing worse than watching the MNT is watching the mongoloid throngs in face paint and uncle sam hats chanting "U! S! A!"  Couple that with our shit team and it just pisses me off to no end.

I'd say Kelly Rowland's rendition of your national anthem was worse than anything that succeeded it last night.

Guest Jawesome

It's just personal opinion from talking to numerous coaches that have been over there for a few years at a time.  One of them said that he wanted to become this kids agent, said he was an unbelievable talent, but the kid chose to go on to college instead of joining a club, and by the time he would have left, he will have been 21, and have lost like 4 years or so on coaching and what not.  Once they get this mentality out of their kids then they'll be sorted.

The USA has good enough athletes (yes, even the ones left over after basketball, american football, hockey and baseball have taken the very best of them), however unless these kids start joining European clubs at a very young age i.e. after high school, rather than playing college soccer, they will have no hope.

Look at Hargreaves, he joined bayern at a young enough age to truly develop into a good player despite not growingup in Europe.

Adu is also still young enough to make something of himself if he is truly dedicated to doing so, as he has made the move to Europe while still young.

I think the US obviously have more developing to do, but I think on any given day, they can get results. I wouldn't underestimate them.

And it's far too early in soccer's development in both the US and Canada to be too harsh in judging our teams. North American soccer will come along in time, I'm sure.

Adu will be fine, he's just starting out at Benfica and he seems to be doing well.

Never going to be Pele, but he'll be a fine Adu.

But if the National Team is ever going to progress, we need to let the best young players leave ASAP.

The side that Bradley put out was pretty poor, even by US standards.  He didn't pick many deserving MLS players, and any side with Josh Wolff in it is bound to fail.

That said, the match really showed the gulf between the nations at the moment.  Not just in talent, but in composure in big atmospheres.

Regarding the future?  Jawesome has it right - college soccer is a huge detriment for US players.  Players coming from that system have to be retaught so much of the game that they inevitably fall behind in their development.  College soccer here is about athleticism and work rate, with almost no emphasis on technique, skill or tactical awareness.  So they churn out players who will run all day, but have no idea where to run, or what to do with the ball at their feet under pressure.  Until college soccer is cut out of the equation, US Soccer's progress won't "take off" as predicted.

Regarding the future?  Jawesome has it right - college soccer is a huge detriment for US players.  Players coming from that system have to be retaught so much of the game that they inevitably fall behind in their development.  College soccer here is about athleticism and work rate, with almost no emphasis on technique, skill or tactical awareness.  So they churn out players who will run all day, but have no idea where to run, or what to do with the ball at their feet under pressure.  Until college soccer is cut out of the equation, US Soccer's progress won't "take off" as predicted.

Interesting thought......College Football and Basketball is THE way to develop players. The coaching and development that they receive is vital to them making the transition to NFL/NBA.  But I can see that in the US Soccer environment, the emphasis is more on the players getting a scholarship through College than making the jump to MLS or European leagues.  The $$$$ involved in the college football and basketball programs forces the schools to hire the very best coaches, and implement the very best training/development programs. The lack of money in the College Soccer program will not promote the similar development in players. 

Also the Title 9 requirement (Equal number of athletic scholarships for men and women) forces many schools to avoid having a mens soccer team (need to balance out the 90+ footballs scholarships) so the level of competition is down for mens soccer.

US mens soccer won't rocket up in standards, but they should be making slow steady improvements.

Having lived for a number of years in the US and moved to Canada at the end of last year I feel I can contribute to this disccussion.

There is definately a 'soccer culture' in north america, for kids a a young age, outside of ice hockey here in Canada, nothing appears to be more popular for the kids to play. The problem seems to be that once they get to their teens other sports take over, winter sports are obviously very popular here, since we have like 8 months of it :) american football , lacrosse and baseball/softball seem to take over. I think this is partly because there is no where to go for these kids, there aren't any big football clubs here, there are few scouts watching them play. In europe if you have talent you are probably signed up with a top club's academy before you hit 14, here that is not the case and the talented players drift off to other sports or give up all together.

It could change however and key to it is the MLS or a few successful North American based football clubs. FIFA would never allow it and it's never gonna happen but a US based team competing in the PL would generate huge interest, I'm pretty sure of that. The club sides here need to be snapping up the talent earlier and ensure they do not drift elsewhere.

When I got here I was pleasantly surprised by the facilities available to 'soccer' players, in my community there are 3 or 4 playing fields, with goalposts, which are within easy walking distance from my home. There's plenty of indoor facilities and a fairly well structure association, I myself play in an over 35's league.

As for the US being the dominant force in 15 years, I doubt it, unless things change dramitically during that time.

Weren't the USA ranked in the FIFA top 10 quite recently?

We were ranked #4 going into World Cup 2006 I believe...after that debacle FIFA decided to change the way they calculate the rankings. Rightfully so I might add, our team is a joke.