Footballer Held After Kids Die In Crash

Dokko

Maybe it ran out and he was too lazy to renew it?

Have you ever had car insurance before?

It continues for another year unless you specifically cancel it. No excuses IMO.

Some companies do, but then you still have to pay for it if you're not on direct debit or something. Probably just thinks he can afford to pay for any damage and the fine for being caught with no insurance.

That bit's the least of his worries tbh. Drink driving is one of the worst things anyone can do imo, especially on a fucking motorway.

Maybe it ran out and he was too lazy to renew it?

Have you ever had car insurance before?

It continues for another year unless you specifically cancel it. No excuses IMO.

Some companies do, but then you still have to pay for it if you're not on direct debit or something. Probably just thinks he can afford to pay for any damage and the fine for being caught with no insurance.

That bit's the least of his worries tbh. Drink driving is one of the worst things anyone can do imo, especially on a f***ing motorway.

Yeah, I think most of us do not use direct debit for car insurance so when mine runs out............it runs out.

I am not covered for another year unless I pay for it before the renewal date.

Is the keeper fine? Because it would be nice if he was in serious pain.

Also footballers must think they own the roads

There does seem to be a high ratio of footballers and traffic violations in this Country compared to the norm.

I bet half our squad have been caught speeding, well at one time i'm sure of it!

Would be interested in seeing a study commissioned on not just footballers, but people earning above a certain bracket. To be honest, I'd be happy to see a motorcycling system adopted for car licenses.

Reality is though that what McCormick has allegedly done is just as bad as someone who did exactly the same, but managed to get home without incident. Complete lottery. If it turns out that footballers are flouting the driving laws more than average, the FA should take a stance and suspend players for driving offences. Harsh? Yes. Over the top? Yes. Reactionary? Yes. Effective? Yes.

McCormick is understood to have been returning home to Coventry following the wedding celebrations of former team-mate and Ipswich Town player, David Norris, which were held at the Reebok Stadium in Bolton.

http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/content/eveningstar/news/story.aspx?brand=ESTOnline&category=News&tBrand=ESTOnline&tCategory=News&itemid=IPED09%20Jun%202008%2011%3A26%3A42%3A053

• 3 months later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7654430.stm

Death crash footballer is jailed 

Luke McCormick played in goal for Plymouth

A Championship footballer has been jailed for seven years and four months for causing the deaths of two children by dangerous driving.

Former Plymouth Argyle goalkeeper Luke McCormick, 25, admitted causing the deaths of Arron Peak, 10, and Ben Peak, eight, and driving with excess alcohol.

The brothers, from Partington, Greater Manchester, died in a crash on the M6 in Staffordshire on 7 June.

McCormick entered his guilty pleas at Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court earlier.

'Prison inevitable'

Judge Paul Glenn had told him a custodial sentence was inevitable.

The court heard that when breathalysed McCormick, who had been returning from a wedding, was found to have 74 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.

The legal limit is 35 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath. 

Friends and relatives of the Peak family were at the court

The brothers and their father Philip Peak, 37, were in a Toyota Previa with friends, travelling to Silverstone racetrack, when the crash happened.

Their car was involved in a collision with McCormick's Range Rover at about 0545 BST on the southbound carriageway of the motorway between junctions 15 and 16, near Keele services.

Mr Peak, 37, who was driving, was seriously injured in the crash.

McCormick kept his head bowed and covered his face with his hand as the court heard he told eyewitnesses at the scene: "I am so sorry, I'm sorry. I just fell asleep. I fell asleep, I'm sorry."

Before the crash other motorists noticed him "driving like an idiot" and estimated his speed at around 90mph (144km/h).

McCormick, a former England youth international, had his contract with Plymouth cancelled "by mutual consent" a month after the crash.

Friends and relatives of the boys were at the court to hear McCormick plead guilty.

I have read some of the witness statements in this case after i received a request to get some taken from witnesses who lived in the north east. Lets say his driving was shocking and one of the witnesses used the words  "driving like they had a deathwish" .  There are no winers in this case though its all very sad.

All very sad.

The sentence seems incredibly light to me, but no term would bring those kids back.

Now is probably not the time or the place, but it certainly puts the hysteria surrounding Bartons troubles into perspective.

Find it extremely hard to feel any sympathy for him even though he has more or less messed his life up. That pales into insignificance when it comes to the lives that were lost because of his stupidity.

All very sad.

The sentence seems incredibly light to me, but no term would bring those kids back.

Now is probably not the time or the place, but it certainly puts the hysteria surrounding Bartons troubles into perspective.

it may seem light but the maximum for death by dangerous is 10 years and the perversity of the british justice system means he gets time off that for an early guilty plea