Bonus Point system

steve_69

Had an idea last night whilst watching the Greece v Sweden game.

I propose the football bodies implement a bonus system at the group stages of all competitions (not just internationals), whereby the highest scoring team gets awarded an additional point.

This could potentially change the way all teams approach their games, making it a lot more entertaining for spectators.

I demand to be entertained!

Thoughts?

Guest nufc_geordie

I propose the football bodies implement a bonus system at the group stages of all competitions (not just internationals), whereby the highest scoring team gets awarded an additional point.

This could potentially change the way all teams approach their games, making it a lot more entertaining for spectators.

Thoughts?

I can see your point in principle but this "sky era" has forced this way of thinking. Football is not entertainment, it is a sport and it is all about winning. If winning ugly is a style of play adopted and it works then well done to the mastermind of that approach. This approach would force teams into a certain way of playing effectively minimizing the tactical approach which can be so intruiging in games.

I agree the Greek approach last night was terrible but if they had have nicked a goal and beat Sweden 1-0 it would have been succesful which was its ultimate aim.

Not a route I would like to see the game go down as I feel it would detract from its appeal. A good defensive approach can be equally as enjoyable as an all out attacking method, it just depends on how you choose to analyse and watch a game. If you appreciate defensive abilities then you stand to gain more from a defensive showing and vice-versa.

Better if they start throwing out yellow cards for delaying the game when you do like greece did

sweden had an option to attack them if they wanted while they were making themselves ashamed..

(however it probably would'nt be to smart)

Thoughts?

I can see your point in principle but this "sky era" has forced this way of thinking. Football is not entertainment, it is a sport and it is all about winning. If winning ugly is a style of play adopted and it works then well done to the mastermind of that approach. This approach would force teams into a certain way of playing effectively minimizing the tactical approach which can be so intruiging in games.

I agree the Greek approach last night was terrible but if they had have nicked a goal and beat Sweden 1-0 it would have been succesful which was its ultimate aim.

Not a route I would like to see the game go down as I feel it would detract from its appeal. A good defensive approach can be equally as enjoyable as an all out attacking method, it just depends on how you choose to analyse and watch a game. If you appreciate defensive abilities then you stand to gain more from a defensive showing and vice-versa.

The fact is there would be no professional football if it wasn't for the money we pay to watch it, whether at the games themselves or through sky fees. Therefore it is an entertainment industry. We're not given the privilege of being able to watch games by the teams - the teams, the leagues and the  competitions are created by us, by our money. It is therefore the duty of the teams to give us something in return for that money - entertainment.

This is perhaps the key reason why money has ruined football, because clubs often feel that the demands of the fans must be taken into account in the way they play. When Arsene Wenger finally leaves Arsenal can you see them recruiting a defensive-minded replacement? No, because after the feast of attacking football they've been served up over the last few years the fans wouldn't accept it.

The bonus point system wouldn't mean that every team has to be gung-ho, it would just give teams an added incentive to score goals rather than trying to nick a 1-0 from a set piece.

Its not really a fact that without mass fan appeal there would be no football - it would just mean that the players would be paid less. The remaining fans would probably enjoy it more to be fair - its a lot easier to get behind your players when you know that they are not just overpaid mercanaries on fantasy salaries...

Just make the pointing system based on goals.

Sweden would have got 2 pts last night as they scored two goals.

Greece none.

Spain would have picked up 4 pts and Russia 1 pt.

It would make teams come out more and try to score goals.  Might get rid of these negative teams.

Guest barnabox

Greece none.

It would make teams come out more and try to score goals.  Might get rid of these negative teams.

But that would mean that you could lose all your group matches 4-3 and go through at the expense of a team that won all theirs 1-0

Greece none.

But that would mean that you could lose all your group matches 4-3 and go through at the expense of a team that won all theirs 1-0

:lol:

Aye, worst suggestion I've ever seen in my life tbh.

Think he may have been taking the piss though.

Could give a single bonus point to a team that wins scoring more than three goals. Teams would know more goals gives them more points over a season, and games would be opened up at both ends.

Or if we wanted to go all US, get rid of draws. After 90mins play golden goal forever. Encourages the win in normal time, and the win in the earliest time possible in overtime. Then just have the tables based on the 'games behind' system.

Or not. :lol:

How about...

When a game finishes 0-0, both teams get nothing. That way, you go into a match knowing that you have to score at some point or you're gauranteed to get nothing. Would stop teams going out and trying to smother the game completely. Score draws you still get a point each.

Would also lead to some exciting finishes when games are still 0-0 with ten minutes to go. You'd still have the occasional 0-0, in top of the table clashes and such, but they'd become very rare indeed.

Not a fan of the concept of rewarding teams for bigger margins of victory, because a win is a win at the end of the day and I don't like the idea of one team winning the league over another because they beat someone 3-0 while another team only won 2-0. But with teams going into a game knowing that they have to score at some point, I think it may be a welcome impetus for them from a viewing point of view.

How about....

We just leave football alone?

How about...

you suck my balls, buddy.

I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothing but..... Okay! O0

Pfft, missed the setup completely.

Very disappointing. :(

How about...

When a game finishes 0-0, both teams get nothing. That way, you go into a match knowing that you have to score at some point or you're gauranteed to get nothing. Would stop teams going out and trying to smother the game completely. Score draws you still get a point each.

Would also lead to some exciting finishes when games are still 0-0 with ten minutes to go. You'd still have the occasional 0-0, in top of the table clashes and such, but they'd become very rare indeed.

Not a fan of the concept of rewarding teams for bigger margins of victory, because a win is a win at the end of the day and I don't like the idea of one team winning the league over another because they beat someone 3-0 while another team only won 2-0. But with teams going into a game knowing that they have to score at some point, I think it may be a welcome impetus for them from a viewing point of view.

That's the option I've always favoured.  Every team goes into a game knowing they have to score to stand any chance of picking up at least a point so the whole emphasis changes.  No more holding out for a 0-0 draw as it's pointless (literally).

How about...

That's actually pretty good. Like it.