Oba And Out

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Guest MaetihS

Probably the only player in the squad who entertains me, excites me when playing and seemingly canny as fuk.

I would be devastated if we sold him, but don't blame him for thinking about a move to Arsenal, us and them? Chalk and cheese.

totally agreed. only player that i feel that makes us apart from the other midtable or relegation candidates; we have a player that can turns a match on his own. regardless, he is the most exciting and entertaining player we have. i will cry if he leaves but will give my full blessing if he moves to Arsenal; can see that Arsenal will really bring out his potential to the fullest.

Would never advocqate selling him, really like him, not the most intelligent of players but his scoring record is brilliant if you consider the amount of creativity weve had in his 2 seasons here and baring in mind he played practically on his own for most of his first.

If you ask me, i bet the opposition make special plans for him and thats the sign of a dangerous player and a player you want to keep. For £15m you;re gonna get no one who will get you anymore goals than him, Crouch? Bent? Ashton? they're all in the £15m mark but i cant see them getting more than 15 a season - what'd be the point? None of them would scare me if i was a defender as well.

Guest MaetihS

like i say i don't believe the media version but given the choice i'd take a fit owen over martins.

nah. considering the state of our midfield and that owen is largely dependent on service, i take martins.

News of the World tomorrow peddling Huntelaar to Arsenal.

Sounds like they've been taking hints from the idiots at Thomson House about how to contradict your sister paper.

like i say i don't believe the media version but given the choice i'd take a fit owen over martins.

nah. considering the state of our midfield and that owen is largely dependent on service, i take martins.

we'll have to disagree then

Someone pointed out last night the fact the article says Arsenal are haggling over the 15m fee before going on to say there's a 13m release clause. Fucking clueless. :lol:

The release clause only comes into effect if Martins hands a transfer request in. I explained that earlier. Fucking clueless ;)

Which he obviously would if one believes the spin the Sun have put on that article.

The bloke hasn't got a brain.  He's the stupidest player I've ever seen play for us.  Some of the things he does on the field make me f***ing weep.

Have a word ffs.

Have seen Beardsley at a few talk-ins and he says the same thing. Basically wishes he'd had the body and pace of Martins else he'd have been one of the all-time greats. Would have to agree. Martins has the attributes to be a legend...shame he's thick as pig sh*t. Would take £13-15m in a heartbeat.

Would anyone on here honestly take £15m for him? I know I wouldn't

Nor me.

Don't want to sound rude but, what the f*** lads?

£15m buys you what in 2008?

he's our best player and brightest prospect by a mile. You dont sell those, and if you do, it's for stupid, stupid money

If he really has a release clause of £13m and Arsenal bid that value, there isn't a lot we can do.

Not the end of the world though is it? Could get a Gomis or Guiza for that. Or are there really cretins out there writing the former off after two sub apps in the Euros.

Gomez woudl not leave his club for us and how many seasons of rattling them in has Guiza had and how old is he?

Not the end of the world though is it? Could get a Gomis or Guiza for that. Or are there really cretins out there writing the former off after two sub apps in the Euros.

Gomez woudl not leave his club for us and how many seasons of rattling them in has Guiza had and how old is he?

i'd be happier with gomez tham gomis.

Someone pointed out last night the fact the article says Arsenal are haggling over the 15m fee before going on to say there's a 13m release clause. Fucking clueless. :lol:

The release clause only comes into effect if Martins hands a transfer request in. I explained that earlier. Fucking clueless ;)

Which he obviously would if one believes the spin the Sun have put on that article.

And lose his loyalty bonus? Depends if Arsenal were happy to give him the money they'd be saving on the transfer fee tbh.

My point is purely that if he was as desperate to go there as the article suggests, there would surely be no haggling involved as they'd invoke the release clause. Whichever way you look at it, the story doesn't really add up.

Guest neesy111

Nor me.

he's our best player and brightest prospect by a mile. You dont sell those, and if you do, it's for stupid, stupid money

If he really has a release clause of £13m and Arsenal bid that value, there isn't a lot we can do.

that release clause is based on martins handing in a transfer request

the fact is we have owen and martins both on 80k+ a week, we're not getting value for money from them tbh

Nor me.

that release clause is based on martins handing in a transfer request

the fact is we have owen and martins both on 80k+ a week, we're not getting value for money from them tbh

we are with Martins. FFS Emre was on 60k

Nor me.

Once again showing yourself to be a bit rubbish at judging players.

Nor me.

a bit rubbish???  mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif   Let me guess, you're from the school of 'Michael Owan is a beta player coz he always plays for England'

Nor me.

a bit rubbish???  mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif   Let me guess, you're from the school of 'Michael Owan is a beta player coz he always plays for England'

Or of the opinion that Owen's more intelligent, has a better touch, and is a better finisher.

Just a thought, like.

Martins has been a very important player for us for the last couple of seasons because he has been the only genuine player with pace. This stands out in our current side, and this may be the reason why some people think he is one of our best players. He's not, but this pace and attacking attitude frighten defenders, and it leaves gaps for other. This was obvious towards the end of the season when Owen and Viduka benefited from this.

If we had other players with pace who could carry some of the attacking burden, then I think a lot of fans would start to look at his shortcomings i.e. lack of vision and first touch, not great in the air etc. Still, he's only played two seasons, and missed a fair bit, and as a whole I think his contribution compares favourably with anybody else in our squad. And he's only 23 or something (allegedly).

By the way, anybody who suggests we haven't got value for money for Martins and Owen is talking crap IMO. Those players, Owen in particular, kept us up last season. I have doubts that we would have come back up at the first attempt, so I think that in itself pays for their transfer fees and wages for a good few years.

Nor me.

a bit rubbish???  mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif  Let me guess, you're from the school of 'Michael Owan is a beta player coz he always plays for England'

Or of the opinion that Owen's more intelligent, has a better touch, and is a better finisher.

Just a thought, like.

i don't want to go into that debate, because obviously both strikers are valuable for us and we can't afford to lose any of them..

but the better finisher thing.. Owen missed plenty of clear opportunities, while Oba often shows good composure and cool finishing when one on one with the keeper.. i'd say that Owen is the cleverer player, but Martins' finishing instinct isn't bad either..

Nor me.

a bit rubbish???  mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif   Let me guess, you're from the school of 'Michael Owan is a beta player coz he always plays for England'

Just a thought, like.

i don't want to go into that debate, because obviously both strikers are valuable for us and we can't afford to lose any of them..

but the better finisher thing.. Owen missed plenty of clear opportunities, while Oba often shows good composure and cool finishing when one on one with the keeper.. i'd say that Owen is the cleverer player, but Martins' finishing instinct isn't bad either..

indeed, Owen is the more instinctive and intelligent, but in terms of overall finishing they're pretty much on a par. Oba brings so much more to the team

Nor me.

a bit rubbish???  mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif  Let me guess, you're from the school of 'Michael Owan is a beta player coz he always plays for England'

Just a thought, like.

indeed, Owen is the more instinctive and intelligent, but in terms of overall finishing they're pretty much on a par. Oba brings so much more to the team

i disagree with you...martins looks more exciting however owens holding up of the ball is better,as is his passing and positioning.