The Webster Ruling

James

It would seem that Newcastle United and Gutierrez have produced the third ever enactment of the Webster Ruling, after Andy Webster and Assuncao.

According to reports, Gutierrez had one year remaining on his contract, so he ultimately cost us around about £1m acoording to wage estimates.

Real Mallorca aren't happy and want 15m Euros in compensation from the player.

Meanwhile Celtic have announced that they will sue any player who tries to break their contract. FIFA don't like it either, but the EU and the CAS have forced their hand.

It was only on January 30th that it was finally agreed that the Webster transfer was all correct and proper, and this past week or so has really been the first time clubs have been able to take advantage of the ruling.

This is all very historic, and AFAIK, Jonas has become the first player to leave Spain on the basis of this ruling. Legal ramifications should not be taken lightly right now.

This transfer could have many future ramifications, and you have to wonder whether we have any future dealings of a similar nature lined up.

Right now, this is a massive move by Newcastle United, and with Mike Ashley's track record of price slashing, I wouldn't be suprised if he has decided that he wants to challenge the system over inflated transfer fees.

Why is it so massive though? Well with the legality of this ruling still questionable in the minds of many clubs, Newcastle have not only admitted that they can sign a player by the Webster Ruling, we are also condoning the sale of our own players via the same method.

Michael Owen is now free to join any club outside of England for £5m.

Although he is going for less, we would have definitely lost Emre for £6m if we had wanted to keep him.

Harper could move to Scotland for £1.3m

Taylor can go abroad for £500k

What do you think of this ruling? Any players you'd like to take a look at? Worried we might lose some of our own players for ridiculous prices?

I'm sure there is an age limit, a contract length limit as well.

You must be over 28 years old and in the final year of your contract.

I reckon we haven't gone with the Webster ruling, but taken advantage of Mallorca being in administration.

Don't really know the ins and outs of the ruling to be honest, but from what I do know of it it doesn't seem like a good thing.

Odds are the smaller clubs are just gonna get fucked over with their best players leaving for pittances surely?

I reckon we haven't gone with the Webster ruling, but taken advantage of Mallorca being in administration.

Nope.

If you sign a pro contract under the age of 28, you must stay three years, and then you can leave if you pay out your whole contract.

If you join a club age over 28, it is two years.

New contracts are irrelevant as well, it is all down to when you join the club.

Nope.

If you sign a pro contract under the age of 28, you must stay three years, and then you can leave if you pay out your whole contract.

If you join a club age over 28, it is two years.

New contracts are irrelevant as well, it is all down to when you join the club.

Where you getting this info from?

can`t think of many other players who have exercised that right

Webster (obviously), Gutierrez and Paulo Assunçao. Any others?

That is it AFAIK, but it only got properly sanctioned this year, and today is the third full day of open transfer window since the finalisation of the Webster case.

was that what diatta did with besiktas to become a free agent?

So he did, but I think Besiktas were perfectly happy to negotiate it in this instance. Assuncao and Jonas have met much more resistance from their clubs as they are actually worth something.

PS if anyone has doubts that this transfer was a Webster, check out Real Mallorca's Official website: http://www.rcdmallorca.es/

Yesterday he bought out his contract, and Mallorca want to take this to court.

To be fair, when asking for £10m for a player, you'd be pissed off if a player gave you a two fingered salute and then buggered off for a tenth of that.

BTW, am I the only one worried that Mallorca might back out of our pre season arrangement based on our exploitation?

PS if anyone has doubts that this transfer was a Webster, check out Real Mallorca's Official website: http://www.rcdmallorca.es/

To be fair, when asking for £10m for a player, you'd be pissed off if a player gave you a two fingered salute and then buggered off for a tenth of that.

BTW, am I the only one worried that Mallorca might back out of our pre season arrangement based on our exploitation?

They are idiots if they thought they were going to get £10 million for a player in the final year of his contract. Surely they forced the guys hand? It appears they screwed themselves over.

Mallorca can pull out if they want. Its only a friendly and I'm sure something else can be arranged.

This is very interesting as I remember Keegan saying something along the lines of Bosman's being available that were worth a lot of money but when I looked at the actual Bosman's they were crappy players. Maybe he meant Websters!

Anyone want to pull together some other interesting Webster possibilities? I'm crap at this sort of thing.

They are idiots if they thought they were going to get £10 million for a player in the final year of his contract. Surely they forced the guys hand? It appears they screwed themselves over.

Mallorca can pull out if they want. Its only a friendly and I'm sure something else can be arranged.

This is very interesting as I remember Keegan saying something along the lines of Bosman's being available that were worth a lot of money but when I looked at the actual Bosman's they were crappy players. Maybe he meant Websters!

Anyone want to pull together some other interesting Webster possibilities? I'm crap at this sort of thing.

Wouldn't be very good for those who have booked plane tickets to Majorca already mate.

Guest Mucky01

this friendly in Mallorca is too coincidental for me, surely it’s a deal sweetener as they will sell tickets over there for this, from holidaymakers and travelling fans as well as the locals wanting to give Spidey the bird.

Thought I'd check if this ruling has any bearing in the Cristiano Ronaldo situation, it doesn't right now, but unless they can get him to sign a new contract, Real can get him for £5m in two years.

To me this is a stupid ruling.  It just encourages wages to get even more out of hand in order to put players off from having to pay out there contracts.  How can FIFA, or anyone else, ignore the actual transfer fee being paid?..

Guest Heneage

I think Mallorca would be daft to cancel us from the tour, we will be the biggest travelling visiting team.