Magpies' South American hits and misses

LooneyToonArmy

Guest Guinness

Acuna was excellent for us.  Bloody hard worker and chipped in with a few goals.

This, was a big fan of Acuna. As has been said we could do with a player like him in our midfield now.

Guest Jawesome

These fucking idiot journo's writing shit without even using their brains, yet again.  Acuna was ok, tbf to the lad.

Guest Heneage

Clarence played for us, he was never gonna be "Highly regarded" really good midfielder at a snip of a price.

i emailed the journo about Acuna and got a response within 10 mins:

Hi John,

Thanks very much for getting in touch. I appreciate the feedback.

It was a subject I debated heavily with colleagues - but I guess I went for miss on the presumption he didn't really fulfil his potential at Newcastle.

Will have a good think about that one - I'm glad you enjoyed it otherwise...

Take care, and good luck for the season,

Matt

fair play :thup:

Was Gavilan actually a decent player then? IE - a case of too much too soon, like the article suggests?

Remember barely anything of the guy, other than him scoring against Coventry (i think it was?).

Was Gavilan actually a decent player then? IE - a case of too much too soon, like the article suggests?

Remember barely anything of the guy, other than him scoring against Coventry (i think it was?).

He didn`t really get given many chances did he......7 appearances mostly as sub and he scored 1 goal. He was only a young kid at 19 coming from Paraguay so it was always going to take some time to  settle and adjust but he was shipped out on loan so not really had the chance to make any impact

Guest KeithKettleborough

Acuna was not too bad for us and would be a hit in my view. Memory may be wrong but I wonder if he was another one to suffer when Bobby was losing it with players who wanted to play for their country. Nobby certainly bore the brunt of this I think as well as some other non-English internationals. Clarence would have a decent game and then be left out again and wonder if his wish to play for his country was a major factor with Bobby not playing him much.

Acuna was a good player for us and he could defend as well as attack from midfield, I also thought that he was better than Speed and couldn't understand why he didn't get more games.  Bobby had a thing about both Nobby and Acuna which I couldn't understand as it wasn't for the good of the team.  I’d be more than happy to have a player like Acuna in our midfield next season.

As for Gavilan, he played and scored against Coventry then got dropped for the next game.  Cordone started off well and looked like he was going to do good things for us but he went off the boil after the first few games.

Acuna was a hit - they don't know what they are talking about. Unlike the others on that list there was no fanfare when he signed (he was completing a years suspension for testing positive for speed and was signed after a trial where SBR thought he was one of the hardest working blokess he'd seen in ages) and he was purchased for a modest sum (less than 1m IIRC). He left because his mother was dying of cancer and he asked to get out of his contract and play in Chile to be closer to her - hardly the heartless mercenary type. His best game Leeds away. He only played when SBR's illegitamate son Dyer was injured.

Good post. His best game imo was Arsenal at home when him and Jamie McClen pwned Vieira.

Vastly underrated was Acuna, certainly not a flop in most eyes.

Acuna was OK, but not a major success ; the only real long-term success from SA has been Nobby - a bargain by anyone's standards.

George Robledo?

Yes, of course Mick - I meant in the modern era(i.e.post 1970)..

Acuna was OK, but not a major success ; the only real long-term success from SA has been Nobby - a bargain by anyone's standards.

George Robledo?

Yes, of course Mick - I meant in the modern era(i.e.post 1970)..

Which of course really means post late 80s. ;)