Magpies' South American hits and misses

LooneyToonArmy

very harsh to say Acuna was a failure. Very underrated player that chipped in with important goals, didn`t complain and tbh I don`t remember him having a particularly bad game

Newcastle United's new Argentine winger Jonas Gutierrez joins a list of South Americans to have made the switch to Tyneside.

Argentines, Brazilians, Columbians, Chileans, Peruvians and Paraguayans have all pulled on the black and white jersey, admittedly with differing results.

BBC Sport takes a look back at some of the hits and misses from the Western Hemisphere.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7485663.stm

Surprised they left out Daniel Cordone.  A terrible haircut - centre parting, mullet & pony-tail held on with a piece of string  :lol:

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/files_football/CORDONE_D_20000820_NF_L.jpg

cordone (not gonna reproduce the pic) had soldered in ear studs which now and again refs would ask him to take out...but he physically couldnt take them out .only actually remember him from that boro away game  we won 3-1 when skywere saying it was the highest amount of possession by an away team in the prem....he laid on the 3rd for dyer i think,

cordone (not gonna reproduce the pic) had soldered in ear studs which now and again refs would ask him to take out...but he physically couldnt take them out .only actually remember him from that boro away game  we won 3-1 when skywere saying it was the highest amount of possession by an away team in the prem....he laid on the 3rd for dyer i think,

he was a hit with the ladies apparently

he was a hit with the ladies apparently

would account for girl 2's swarthy looks

Guest Mr Sands

Personally, I can't believe you couldn't put a comma after "Personally".

I was too angry to punctuate.

Acuna was a hit - they don't know what they are talking about. Unlike the others on that list there was no fanfare when he signed (he was completing a years suspension for testing positive for speed and was signed after a trial where SBR thought he was one of the hardest working blokess he'd seen in ages) and he was purchased for a modest sum (less than 1m IIRC). He left because his mother was dying of cancer and he asked to get out of his contract and play in Chile to be closer to her - hardly the heartless mercenary type. His best game Leeds away. He only played when SBR's illegitamate son Dyer was injured.

Acuna was a hit - they don't know what they are talking about. Unlike the others on that list there was no fanfare when he signed (he was completing a years suspension for testing positive for speed and was signed after a trial where SBR thought he was one of the hardest working blokess he'd seen in ages) and he was purchased for a modest sum (less than 1m IIRC). He left because his mother was dying of cancer and he asked to get out of his contract and play in Chile to be closer to her - hardly the heartless mercenary type. His best game Leeds away. He only played when SBR's illegitamate son Dyer was injured.

Absolutely, really liked Acuna, shame circumstance took him away from us.

Will be shot down for this, but I always preferred Acuna to Speed.

i don't disagree, but Speed for us was a bit more defensive whereas Acuna had the ability to burst forward. on balance Speed was probably a better partner for Dyer, but i think it was a mistake by Robson to not utilise him more.

Far better player, as a defensive midfielder who used the ball instinctively as well as being efficient, as opposed to the highly praised '6m: Captain Scott Parker' who was often a w*** material source for a number of BBC pundits & commentators.

Mirandina, Nobby, Acuna all great players and played an important role in the history of the club.  My dad will tell me that teh Robledo (sp) brothers were very special as well.

Far better player, as a defensive midfielder who used the ball instinctively as well as being efficient, as opposed to the highly praised '6m: Captain Scott Parker' who was often a w*** material source for a number of BBC pundits & commentators.

That's a funny comparison actually... no brainer really too. Acuna was indeed better :(