Steve Harper - 15 Years...

Guest FlapjackJoe

Lack of ambition?  Ah, that'll be Alan Shearer then.

totally different situation, shearer played every week and broke records.

harper has.......

well, thats about it.

have to say though i echo that he is better than given, and also that its been good for us that he has lacked ambition.

i don't, however, see how anyone could describe him as a 'legend'.

unsung hero really. how anyone can be negative about him is ridiculous. would it make people happier if he signed for spurs?

i think you miss the point mate.

how is he an unsung hero exactly?

what has he done to deserve that status?

Guest koye

unsung hero really. how anyone can be negative about him is ridiculous. would it make people happier if he signed for spurs?

Agreed!

I can't belive people who don't appreciate both Harper and Shay. Both have been fantastic players at Newcastle over the last decade. Great professionals and quality goalkeepers!

Agreed!

I can't belive people who don't appreciate both Harper and Shay. Both have been fantastic players at Newcastle over the last decade. Great professionals and quality goalkeepers!

explain 'unsung hero' then

He's a good backup imo, and can be relied upon when needed.

I'd rather he was here than not, so I can't really understand the 'no ambition' criticism tbh. Who cares if he's got no ambition? He's never really let us down, that's all that matters isn't it?

His "lack of ambition" is a good thing for NUFC.

I couldn't care less that he could've become an established keeper at a lower level Premier League team.  Or that he might have had a look-in for England.

Or basically, that.

He's a good backup imo, and can be relied upon when needed.

I'd rather he was here than not, so I can't really understand the 'no ambition' criticism tbh. Who cares if he's got no ambition? He's never really let us down, that's all that matters isn't it?

i wouldnt disagree with any of the above.

but 'legend' and 'unsung hero'?

bollocks

Lacks ambition, nowhere near as good as Shay Given and has been responsible for some right howlers when he has played.

Clown.

:lol:

I remember that howler when Harper dropped the ball down and Dublin came from nowhere to score, Shay would never have done anything like that. 

Lacks ambition, nowhere near as good as Shay Given and has been responsible for some right howlers when he has played.

Clown.

:lol:

I remember that howler when Harper dropped the ball down and Dublin came from nowhere to score, Shay would never have done anything like that. 

if we're talking about howlers, he's dropped a few more than shay in his time mick tbf, and over a lot fewer games

if we're talking about howlers, he's dropped a few more than shay in his time mick tbf, and over a lot fewer games

I can remember one when he slipped and that could happen to any player at any time, other than that I'm struggling to remember any that I would call a howler.

I can remember one when he slipped and that could happen to any player at any time, other than that I'm struggling to remember any that I would call a howler.

i can remember one in particular against spuds a few years back, think it might have been defoe who capitalised.

i can remember one in particular against spuds a few years back, think it might have been defoe who capitalised.

I don't remember it, not that I'm saying that it didn't happen.

i also think his slip was pretty pathetic as well btw, i would understand him slipping if it was close range or whatever, but from the opposition half?

very poor

He didn't slip because of where the ball was coming from, he slipped because his studs didn't hold him steady.

I don't remember it, not that I'm saying that it didn't happen.

i'm not saying he's a bad keeper, not at all, i think he's very decent, and i do think he is a safer option for us than shay.

i just dont think 60 odd games in 15 years deserves legendary status, or unsung hero status for that matter.

in the grand scheme of things, he's done fuck all, and been paid very well for it.

i agree with the points made that his lack of ambition is our gain however.

better than Given, and better for the defence

correct especially now, harper has had 2 excellent seasons, while shay has had 2 nightmare 1's

Given had some excellent seasons as well! Don't forget that. Maybe he wasn't that good last season

i also think his slip was pretty pathetic as well btw, i would understand him slipping if it was close range or whatever, but from the opposition half?

very poor

He didn't slip because of where the ball was coming from, he slipped because his studs didn't hold him steady.

ah i realise that, i would just expect him to get himself i a steady position, given the itme he had, he was hardly caught by surprise, or certainly shouldnt have been.

i do accept that this was a freak incident however.

didnt something similar happen that same season though? im sure i remember roeder coming out and defending him after a couple of howlers in a short period?

it also says a lot about shays time here that after 450 games or so, we are still realting to a mistake he made almost ten years ago

i'm not saying he's a bad keeper, not at all, i think he's very decent, and i do think he is a safer option for us than shay.

i just dont think 60 odd games in 15 years deserves legendary status, or unsung hero status for that matter.

in the grand scheme of things, he's done f*** all, and been paid very well for it.

I wouldn't call Harper a legend either but I'm glad we've had him because I think we'd have struggled to get another keeper as good as him to sit around for so long.

I think he's deserved better and has been dropped far too soon once Given has become fit after injury.  If he does lack ambition then he makes up for it with his motivation because he rarely lets us down when called upon.

in the grand scheme of things, he's done f*** all, and been paid very well for it.

I wouldn't call Harper a legend either but I'm glad we've had him because I think we'd have struggled to get another keeper as good as him to sit around for so long.

I think he's deserved better and has been dropped far too soon once Given has become fit after injury.  If he does lack ambition then he makes up for it with his motivation because he rarely lets us down when called upon.

agree with all 3 points.