Ashley looking for investors, not buyers

Guest Daishi

But, why would he speak to a L O C A L evening rag in London??

Compared to the Ronnie, the Standard is a major newspaper.

Having lived in Cockneyland for many (many) years - I am aware that it is an even worse local than the Chronicle.  A "major" newspaper - oh for goodness sake!!!!

Didn't mean "good" - I meant widely read.

(By more people who count in the context of his business)

There are more people living in the London area than there are living in the Newcastle area.  It is still the most awful 'local' (parochial) little rag that I have ever eaten fish and chips out of.

It thinks it is a 'national' though (because it is printed in Cockneyland)  -  and some others seem to think so too!!!!  Bizarre . . .  

What's wrong with the Evening standard?

Briefly . . .

(1) Its content.

(2) Its obsesssional parochiality (worse than most locals even).

(3) Its "pretentions" (which may well have worked on you!!)

Your talking out your arse. It's a very good London paper and it is a great waste of energy to have these faux media wars. Media companies are worth billions and have immense power. The clever thing is to manage how you deal with them and improve the way the portray the club in a positive manner. Ashley isn't very good at this to this point, but he needs to  understand this. Football clubs aren't like discount garment shops.

Oh dear.

You epitomise the London-obsessed BRAINWASHING that goes on in this country.

It is a grotty insular little rag that (lord be praised) happens to come from (lord be praised again) L O N D O N.

Braninwashing is very powerful - most of the brainwashed do not know that they are . . .

Oh dear indeed.

We agree then!!!

No. But that's the fun.

At some point we're going to have to cut deals with the London media as I'm sure you realise. For me the club is a brand with world wide potential and part of that project will include taking the media with us.

The parochial London Media (working for the so called 'Nationals') YES.

A local rag for cockneyland  -  NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

London is practically the center of world finance and investment vehicles, anything printed and read by a million Londoners on their way home from work in the city is important to us IMO.

That is definitely what THEY think, and they want us to accept that that is true, too.

(THEY matter - they should MATTER to US - but WE do not matter - certainly not to them!)

I just do not agree with the Cockney perspective on UK life.

Thats all.

Sorry.

Taking things a bit more seriously, if he has said this (and the paper hasn't fabricated his quotes like NOTW has done once), then it's a bit worrying.

It seems, to me, to be him saying that he hasn't got enough money to help us push up and challenge for the top 4, and our only way of doing it will be through signing young players and developing them.

Again, I stress that this highly contingent on the fact that he's said this for real and other quotes (which would change the context) haven't been cut out. But if it's true, then it's something that worries me because we'll end up being a yo-yo team like Everton, a decent-good team that just doesn't have enough cash to make the necessary investments in the squad.

I've no idea what his plans are, but it doesn't say that to me at all. ???

Looking for investors is pure common sense I don't read it any other way. More ammo the better imo.

If you have the cash, why would you need investors? Serious question btw. Seems to me that you only need investors if you lack a bit of £££. Chelsea don't any, neither do Portsmouth, and similarly Man Utd don't.... however, Liverpool do.

And you know that for certain?

I did say 'it seems to me', so if you want to act like a little dipshit, then be my guess. And why don't you answer the question while you're at it. If you have the cash, why would you want/need investors?

I think its about time Ashley sat down and done an interview with a well respected footy journalist and laid out his plans and visions.  Otherwise the speculation will continue.

I think its about time Ashley sat down and done an interview with a well respected footy journalist and laid out his plans and visions.  Otherwise the speculation will continue.

I agree.

In a NATIONAL newspaper, perhaps.

Pretty certain the Standard is published by the same group who publish The Daily Mail so pretty much can guarantee it talks out of it's arse. All London evening papers are awful, it's just the Standard has been around for so long and actually charges for it some people think it's better than utter tripe.

Expect the Daily Mail to cover this story ten-fold tomorrow, with special analysis paid to the somewhat derogatory remarks in regards to the Bin Laden family.

Taking things a bit more seriously, if he has said this (and the paper hasn't fabricated his quotes like NOTW has done once), then it's a bit worrying.

It seems, to me, to be him saying that he hasn't got enough money to help us push up and challenge for the top 4, and our only way of doing it will be through signing young players and developing them.

Again, I stress that this highly contingent on the fact that he's said this for real and other quotes (which would change the context) haven't been cut out. But if it's true, then it's something that worries me because we'll end up being a yo-yo team like Everton, a decent-good team that just doesn't have enough cash to make the necessary investments in the squad.

Looking for investors is pure common sense I don't read it any other way. More ammo the better imo.

If you have the cash, why would you need investors? Serious question btw. Seems to me that you only need investors if you lack a bit of £££. Chelsea don't any, neither do Portsmouth, and similarly Man Utd don't.... however, Liverpool do.

From what I understand - and it's only what I've read - Chelsea had been operating in huge deficits over the past few years, and so have Manchester United. I don't know about Portsmouth.

Bottom line, Ashley is not Abramovich, and we shouldn't expect him to be.

I'd say he has the cash, just isn't prepared to put in as much as it would take for us to get into the top 4. I'm really not sure about how a partner would work, it seems Ashley likes to do his own thing and make his own decisions, dunno if he could work with someone else expecting an input.

Guest icemanblue

I did say 'it seems to me', so if you want to act like a little dipshit, then be my guess. And why don't you answer the question while you're at it. If you have the cash, why would you want/need investors?

Easy, cowboy. I only asked a question.

In response to your question, I'd say that many big businesses seek investment from outside parties. Why shouldn't this one?

Ashley for me has never come across or given signals that he intends to be a sugar-daddy type. His goal as far as I see it is to make the club first a viable self-sustaining business and build from there. He doesn't lack the cash as such, but I don't think he is the type to bankroll endlessly. He wants to see the club working in a business like manner. We will see what that entails as time goes on.

Pretty certain the Standard is published by the same group who publish The Daily Mail so pretty much can guarantee it talks out of it's arse. All London evening papers are awful, it's just the Standard has been around for so long and actually charges for it some people think it's better than utter tripe.

Expect the Daily Mail to cover this story ten-fold tomorrow, with special analysis paid to the somewhat derogatory remarks in regards to the Bin Laden family.

"All London Evening papers"???

There used to be two (there was one called the 'Evening News' in the 70s) now there is only one.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean!!!

Easy, cowboy. I only asked a question.

In response to your question, I'd say that many big businesses seek investment from outside parties. Why shouldn't this one?

Apologies :thup:

I think football's a different kind of business; having many partners is an unusual way of running a football club. I'm not sure if there's one club who's done it successfully (with the exception of Arsenal, who have lifelong fans as partners, which is different from having 'business' partners) in the past, and I sincerely thought Ashley would do it differently.

It is a bit heartening to hear that he wants investors from Newcastle because they're then more likely to be fans and thus not in it only for the cash (of which every possible investor will definitely be in for), but again, having many people controlling the club can be destabilising. And again, every investor will want a return. I know that football clubs make money when they win, but that requires long-term investment. If he can't get any investors in it for the long-term, what do we do?

Btw, this also makes the story that we 'approached' the investment firm in America much more credible.

He did last season with his mate from Spurs where he put the record straight on everything. It lasted a few weeks before it all started again.

There used to be two (there was one called the 'Evening News' in the 70s) now there is only one.

There are now two London 'free' evening papers released, the London Lite and the London Paper, these are in direct competition with the Evening Standard and are given out to people free on the streets. Concentrate mainly on London-based Sports news, but do occasionally branch out if the story is juicy enough.

There are now two London 'free' evening papers released, the London Lite and the London Paper, these are in direct competition with the Evening Standard and are given out to people free on the streets. Concentrate mainly on London-based Sports news, but do occasionally branch out if the story is juicy enough.

The 'free' papers here are mainly morning ones (The Metro) or weekly ones.

I don't hink we get any 'free' evenings.

But, why would he speak to a L O C A L evening rag in London??

Compared to the Ronnie, the Standard is a major newspaper.

Compared to the Ronnie, the Beano is a major newspaper.

I agree about the Beano!

In a league table of Local Evening papers, I would put them as follows . . .

(1) Beano

(2) Newcasle Evening Chronicle

(562,965,808,991) The Cockney Jellied Eeel Standad

The 'free' papers here are mainly morning ones (The Metro) or weekly ones.

I don't hink we get any 'free' evenings.

Got to admit i was of the view the standard is dying a death, stalls seem to be disappearing as everyone takes the free evening papers which are basically heat / crap sports news. But i must also agree the Standard is Daily Mail written shite. As is the Metro. It's all about the Londonpaper, you're at least guaranteed a few pics of some celeb hotties for the journey home

No such thing.

I loathe the Evening Standard, it is just the Daily Mail in a different skin.

However, London is one of 3 or 4 global megacities, and as such, a London newspaper can be every bit as important as a national newspaper.

There's no point comparing it with the Chronicle or similar.

I agree with Aispith here, these are not very encouraging quotes. They do kind of validate all the rumours of cost cutting and explain the lack of investment in the playing staff we have witnessed under Ashley's ownership.

Manorpark also makes an excellent point on how we seem to be conditioned to accepting mediocrity, it's incredible really how things have changed, under the old board (cue NE5) mediocrity would never have been accepted.

I loathe the Evening Standard, it is just the Daily Mail in a different skin.

However, London is one of 3 or 4 global megacities, and as such, a London newspaper can be every bit as important as a national newspaper.

There's no point comparing it with the Chronicle or similar.

Sanity at last.

Guest Christian Hayne

Mike Ashley does have the cash, but bought the club thinking the debt was far less than it was. Considering he spent £100million of his own money to clear the clubs debts, u would call it an expensive seat to sit in.

Also if he was planning to spend the money on players rather than the clubs debt, we would be challenging this season, but because of his out lay on addressing the clubs debts he feels he would like an investor to share some of the financial burden for player transfers because he won't make any profit from the club.