Squad sizes

Guest Deep456

Guest Deep456

Who actually has the largest squad in the Premiership? It suprised me that Spurs had it.

Tottenham have 14 defenders. That is massive.   :yikes: If we manage to get 3/5 of that for next season I will be happy. It is still a mystery how their defence is so poor.

Chimbonda TH 5.5 99

Woodgate TH 5.5 87

Dawson TH 5.0 64

Kaboul TH 5.0 61

Stalteri TH 4.5 45

Hutton TH 5.5 43

Lee TH 4.5 39

Bale TH 6.0 27

Gilberto TH 5.0 18

Gardner TH 4.5 16

Rocha TH 4.5 11

Gunter TH 4.5 7

King TH 5.5 5

Assou-Ekotto  TH 4.5 1

Will this prove essential in winning trophies,getting into Europe etc or is it just a hinderence with many being unhappy and ultimately causing bad team spirit.?

That is a huge amount of Defenders like, and surely they can't keep them all happy.

Don't think they have too much better available to them than a back four of Enrique, Faye, Taylor and Beye though.

It's midfield where my main concern is. The size of a squad isn't what wins the league at the end of the day, I reckon it's maintaining a high team spirit/morale and keeping everyone happy and close-knit.

We can finish above Spurs with our current squad still next season imo. Even more so if we add some real quality to it.

Guest teepee

that number of mediocre defenders (and a few good ones) is just plain stupid imo

we do, however, need bodies in - we lack depth in all areas, but it is also important not too get too many poor players in, as i think has been spurs problem over tha last couple of seasons

Guest Darth Toon

I think not being in Europe makes a big difference to the size of squad requried, so I'm not overly concerned about our lack of numbers just now.

Obviously need a few more signings, but I reckon a core squad of 22 (cover for each position) backed up by the best of the kids is enough, and also helps avoid problems caused by people getting pissed off when they're not playing. Most obvious current gaps are at full back, and there's a few names here could probably do with replacing too, but I think the apparent current strategy of shifting the dead wood out first is a half decent one:

GK: Harper, Given

RB: Beye

LB: Enrique

CD: Taylor, Faye, Cacapa, Edgar

RW: Milner, Gutierrez

LW: N'Zogbia, Duff

CM: Geremi, Butt, Guthrie, Barton

ST: Owen, Martins, Viduka, Smith, Ameobi

Cover: Carroll, Lua Lua, Zamblera, Krul, Tozer, Kadar

2 players for each position is just enough(I'm not talking about Chelsea type 2 world class stars for each position)...plus our up and coming youngsters from the reserves and youth squad when needed.

Spurs seems to have almost 4 players for each defensive line positions which is pure stupidy IMO. They can't keep them all happy but it's such a waste of wages as well as all these guys should get pretty good weekly wage.

Given, Harper(Krul, Forster, Söderberg)

Beye, -, ()

Taylor, Cacapa, ()

Faye, - , (Edgar, Kadar)

Enrique, - , (Tozer)

Jonas, Milner, (Lua Lua)

Geremi, Butt, ()

Barton, Guthrie, ()

N'Zogbia, Duff, ()

Owen, Viduka, (Carroll, Zamblera)

Martins, Smith, Shola, (Ngo Baheng)

As the current squad above clearly shows we're lacking so much quality especially in defence and midfield(not to mention required depth). We've been asking for a quality playmaker like 2, 3 years now and still got nothing. Hopefully the Aimar deal will go through ASAP although it's not ooking good at all. First in the shortlist be a quality centreback and 2 quality central midfielders and I'd be happy for a while!

2 players for each position is just enough(I'm not talking about Chelsea type 2 world class stars for each position)...plus our up and coming youngsters from the reserves and youth squad when needed.

Spurs seems to have almost 4 players for each defensive line positions which is pure stupidy IMO. They can't keep them all happy but it's such a waste of wages as well as all these guys should get pretty good weekly wage.

Given, Harper(Krul, Forster, Söderberg)

Beye, -, ()

Taylor, Cacapa, ()

Faye, - , (Edgar, Kadar)

Enrique, - , (Tozer)

Jonas, Milner, (Lua Lua)

Geremi, Butt, ()

Barton, Guthrie, ()

N'Zogbia, Duff, ()

Owen, Viduka, (Carroll, Zamblera)

Martins, Smith, Shola, (Ngo Baheng)

As the current squad above clearly shows we're lacking so much quality especially in defence and midfield(not to mention required depth). We've been asking for a quality playmaker like 2, 3 years now and still got nothing. Hopefully the Aimar deal will go through ASAP although it's not ooking good at all. First in the shortlist be a quality centreback and 2 quality central midfielders and I'd be happy for a while!

I agreed with everything you had said until I went back to the bit in bold.  Shola and Smith, include permacrock pieman and we only have two strikers.  The others are not ready or proven - yet.

Otherwise, we definately need 3-4 defensive players as well as more midfielders.  To get top 6, we have to reduce our goals conceeded - considerably.