Owen Keeps the Armband

Skirge

Does this mean his contract has been sorted out? I would love to get official word on that.

At any rate, Owen is currently the only member of the team (aside from Beye, I suppose) who is anywhere near a guaranteed start if he stays fit. So, just for that reason, he's our best choice for captain.

I'm also happy enough with Owen as captain. He lacks the bullish quality Shearer brought to the job, and maybe that's what we're used to, but he'll certainly have the respect of both the officials and the other players as a model professional.

Owen Is not captain material - no surprise about that.

I think the only real reason why Keegan said Owen is going to be captain (especially at this time of the year) is to give Owen a bigger reason to stay at the club; make him feel he has a 'place' in the squad.

Certainly appeared to be a better captain on the pitch than Parker and Geremi and all the others that have stood in post-Shearer.

They too were not that good captains. If i remember correctly Geremi was given the captaincy just because he knew a certain number of different languages making him communicate effectively with other players.

We desperately need to look for players that are good captain material. The only ones i would recommend from our current squad is either Harper/Given or Habib Beye for now - but we definitely need a captain similar to Gareth Barry. But ofcourse it is also wrong to give someone the captaincy the year he is brought into a new team. A person needs to be at a team for a few years to get to know the team and its style of play.

so without being captain, owen has no 'place' in the squad, and given is good captain material, considering he's an un-commanding goal keeper who never communicates with his defense and never takes the initiative to come and claim crosses.

are you sure?